SOLVED Random BSoDing Please help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Easiest way is to open control panel > device manager and locate the network adapters section. You may have multiple devices since you could be wired, wireless, or even have a USB NIC. For each device select it and go to the drivers tab. Click update driver and have it search the internet.

Reaction score
Easiest way is to open control panel > device manager and locate the network adapters section. You may have multiple devices since you could be wired, wireless, or even have a USB NIC. For each device select it and go to the drivers tab. Click update driver and have it search the internet.
I only have the Realtek PCI drivers in the network tab, and its says they're up to date.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It could be a false reading. You have so many DMPs and they are all over the place. Shintaro wanted you to run driver verifier because the DMPs don't pin it down.

This thread has been running so long I don't remember what all you tried.
Have you checked the BIOS settings for your RAM? Make sure the timings and voltages are set correctly for your RAM, don't assume the default is correct. Does your RAM meet the MOBO requirements? Are you using matched pairs if your MOBO recommends it? Did you run Memtest86+ for at least 6 passes?

There is a utility to check for driver updates which I only recommend as a last resort because it's not perfect. The problem is that it is only as good as it's last driver database update so there could be more recent drivers. Also the IDs devices give off aren't always exact and it can sometimes install the wrong driver; if that driver is a video driver or something critical you may not be able to boot into normal mode so, getting your driver from the manufacturer is what I always recommend if at all possible.

That being said, it can be used relatively safely if you follow some simple guidelines.

1. Download and install Device Doctor 2.0
2. Create a Restore Point (type Restore Point into Start-search)
3. Run Device Doctor and if it finds any drivers allow it to download ONE driver and install it.
4. Reboot and verify your system is working.
5a. If it is working, Go back to step 2 (create another restore point) as long as there are drivers.
5b. If it doesn't work then ...
- boot to safe mode
- restore from the restore point
- Reboot and go to step 3 but skip over the driver that did not work

If you can't pin it down to a driver or a hardware problem then at some point you might just have to say this isn't working and you have to back up your settings and data with Windows Easy Transfer, format the hard drive, and try starting fresh with a new W7 install.

Reaction score
It could be a false reading. You have so many DMPs and they are all over the place. Shintaro wanted you to run driver verifier because the DMPs don't pin it down.

This thread has been running so long I don't remember what all you tried.
Have you checked the BIOS settings for your RAM? Make sure the timings and voltages are set correctly for your RAM, don't assume the default is correct. Does your RAM meet the MOBO requirements? Are you using matched pairs if your MOBO recommends it? Did you run Memtest86+ for at least 6 passes?

There is a utility to check for driver updates which I only recommend as a last resort because it's not perfect. The problem is that it is only as good as it's last driver database update so there could be more recent drivers. Also the IDs devices give off aren't always exact and it can sometimes install the wrong driver; if that driver is a video driver or something critical you may not be able to boot into normal mode so, getting your driver from the manufacturer is what I always recommend if at all possible.

That being said, it can be used relatively safely if you follow some simple guidelines.

1. Download and install Device Doctor 2.0
2. Create a Restore Point (type Restore Point into Start-search)
3. Run Device Doctor and if it finds any drivers allow it to download ONE driver and install it.
4. Reboot and verify your system is working.
5a. If it is working, Go back to step 2 (create another restore point) as long as there are drivers.
5b. If it doesn't work then ...
- boot to safe mode
- restore from the restore point
- Reboot and go to step 3 but skip over the driver that did not work

If you can't pin it down to a driver or a hardware problem then at some point you might just have to say this isn't working and you have to back up your settings and data with Windows Easy Transfer, format the hard drive, and try starting fresh with a new W7 install.
Yeah, i'll check my RAM and i'll try and figure out my BIOS settings and all that. And if worst comes to worst, i'll do a fresh Win7 install. And its hard to tell when my system is working right, cuz the BSoDs are so far apart.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you built your own machine you definitely want to check the RAM timings and voltages; if you bought preassembled then this isn't likely your issue.

A reinstall can't help if your trouble is hardware (RAM etc) but if you are to the point of reinstall then it can't hurt to try Device Doctor first and see if it thinks any drivers need updating.

Reaction score
If you built your own machine you definitely want to check the RAM timings and voltages; if you bought preassembled then this isn't likely your issue.

A reinstall can't help if your trouble is hardware (RAM etc) but if you are to the point of reinstall then it can't hurt to try Device Doctor first and see if it thinks any drivers need updating.
Its custom. I picked the parts, and they built it for me. I'll have to download it and run it soon.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If they built it for you then they should have set the RAM properly but you never know. And the truth is that parts can be bad right out of the box: MOBOs, RAM, even hard drives so they are also supposed to do burn-in testing with something like THIS.

The latest BSOD is saying the NTSF file system but when the errors are all over the place like this and often point to Microsoft system files then you know it's really something else like a driver or a virus or your anti-virus or hardware issues.

Unfortunately your issue is beyond me and except for the things I already mentioned, there isn't really any more help I could offer, sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If they built it for you then they should have set the RAM properly but you never know. And the truth is that parts can be bad right out of the box: MOBOs, RAM, even hard drives so they are also supposed to do burn-in testing with something like THIS.

The latest BSOD is saying the NTSF file system but when the errors are all over the place like this and often point to Microsoft system files then you know it's really something else like a driver or a virus or your anti-virus or hardware issues.

Unfortunately your issue is beyond me and except for the things I already mentioned, there isn't really any more help I could offer, sorry.
Hmm, weird. Well, i'll try your safe mode virus scan when i get a chance to do it. Thanks for your help though. And i'll have to run device doctor. =P

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You have to put the situation in context, if you had issues from day one then a virus is highly unlikely, but if it worked fine for several months and then "BAM" BSODs then a virus is a very good possibility.

For a virus, there are a couple tools in the Freeware DB, TDSSKiller and RKill that you should run in safe mode, in that order, and then run a complete A/V scan with your anti-virus or with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free version. If you choose to use MBAM, download and install it in normal mode and update it's databases but then run it in safe mode after you run TDSSKiller and RKill.

Reaction score
You have to put the situation in context, if you had issues from day one then a virus is highly unlikely, but if it worked fine for several months and then "BAM" BSODs then a virus is a very good possibility.

For a virus, there are a couple tools in the Freeware DB, TDSSKiller and RKill that you should run in safe mode, in that order, and then run a complete A/V scan with your anti-virus or with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free version. If you choose to use MBAM, download and install it in normal mode and update it's databases but then run it in safe mode after you run TDSSKiller and RKill.
Well, i had it for maybe, a month? Around that maybe? So i don't know, and i didn't really download anything during that time.

So, how would i go about checking my BIOS settings and voltage? I'm gonna run device doctor here ina minute cuz it just BSoD'd

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I'm gonna run device doctor here ina minute cuz it just BSoD'd
good

Well, i had it for maybe, a month? Around that maybe? So i don't know, and i didn't really download anything during that time.
Well it can't hurt to run TDSSKiller, RKill & an A/V in safe mode, so you may as well do it.

So, how would i go about checking my BIOS settings and voltage?
You need to know the make and model of your RAM and look up its' proper settings, then go into the BIOS and set it to the recommended timings and voltage for that specific RAM. You should be able to get the recommended settings for your RAM if you install SIW and then run it. Check the Hardware - Memory info and it looks something like this...
SIW-memory.jpg
(Post a screenshot of your SIW memory results please)
As you can see it tells you, if your bus speed is X MHz then use these timings and voltage, so then, based on your bus MHz, you must make sure those are the settings in your BIOS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
good

Well it can't hurt to run TDSSKiller, RKill & an A/V in safe mode, so you may as well do it.

You need to know the make and model of your RAM and look up its' proper settings, then go into the BIOS and set it to the recommended timings and voltage for that specific RAM. You should be able to get the recommended settings for your RAM if you install SIW and then run it. Check the Hardware - Memory info and it looks something like this...
View attachment 4977
(Post a screenshot of your SIW memory results please)
As you can see it tells you, if your bus speed is X MHz then use these timings and voltage, so then, based on your bus MHz, you must make sure those are the settings in your BIOS.
I'm a lazy person, so i'll get around to it xD

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The first one, keep track of ones that don't work and skip them from then on.

Reaction score
Okay, so do i just install the part of the driver that i download called "x64" ? Cuz i have windows 7 64 Also, does this get rid of the old drivers too?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also, what should i do if i replace the driver, and it blue screens? Should i restore and try another, or keep that one and do another? Cuz couldn't it be multiple drivers doing it?

Reaction score
Since it did just blue screen x3 And here's that screenshot of my SIW. Whoops, did the whole screen x3 i hope it works. Also, i think device doctor or SIW gave me one of them "Speed up your PC" garbage things. But its not in my programs, so i think i'm okay, its just a shortcut.

Also, after i updated the driver, Device Doctor still said i needed to update it, so i'm assuming i did it wrong. I went to "update driver" in device manager, and selected the file after i un-zipped it, and it told me it had been updated and was using the current drivers.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ask a Question