Folding@home for w7forums.com

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by percentage Cliff. But take a look here at these 2 snaps taken 4 hours apart. 3127 points!

I'll be shooting you a PM in the next few hours. :D

I just noticed we crossed the 3000 threshold! Great news.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
WOW you must have completed the WU already :)

The percentage of the WU completed was the reference I was talking about. The client shows progress of each work unit as a percentage. HFM.NET will report progress as well as the FAHlog.txt file.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Got it. That WU finished just about the time you asked the question.

On that graph, 9-16 was about the time of the successful SMP2 client install. About a week later came the GPU client install. Then the bonus. :beer:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I'm finally back up & running, I had bad RAM in my notebook. A friend found a used compatible stick for me, but it's only 1GB. I was running 2GB. But funny thing, I completed my first work unit since returning in only 17 hours, compared to over 30 hours on the defective RAM.

Also, the temp dropped significantly, from 90+C to 60C when folding. I never knew that bad RAM could cause overheating. Haven't read of that happening anywhere.:dontknow:

BTW, I noticed when I was checking my WU's, I was logged on to another team by mistake. I must have been relying on my bad memory when configuring the client myself.:D

At any rate, I'm getting more done with less. Hope that it stays that way for a while.:top:

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
OK Cat, I'm confused. I just read your other post saying you can't connect to the internet with your laptop, so how do you fold on it?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
My next door neighbor (my landlord) allows me to use their connection, as long as I don't "hog" it. With folding, you don't need to be connected the whole time, so that's how I connect.

All that I use the notebook for is folding anyway.

PS: I completed another WU, at least an hour sooner than my last one. Hopefully, I'll reach 100 WU's by the end of the month.

Cat

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
That's cool Cat! Your landlord is cool too. It's nice when folding goes better than anticipated.

I've pretty much narrowed my problems to my graphics card and gpu client. Ealier today after my gpu wu finished I shut it down. Then I had physical evidence that the g-card was having problems . I keep the background on that machine black since all I use it for is folding. I started to get white dots on the background. If I let it go long enough, it started to look like the sky on a very clear night. If I right clicked on the desktop, and refreshed, it would clear and start getting the white dots again. I shut the machine down after the smp2 client finished and restarted. All was well. After 4 hours I started the gpu client again.Well it's doing nothing and, in fact says it's waiting 24 hours for some reason.

It's pretty clear to me that my g-card isn't good enough or my drivers aren't right.

It is my feeling that if I had time to figure this out before I had to go away, I could have kept the smp2 client running without a problem and may have contributed another 16000 points to the team. I'm pissed at myself! But the problem didn't show itself until it was to late for me to deal with it.

LGO

I just want to find cures.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Try not to stress too much Yodap. I missed turning in my most recient WU by the due date as I've been so busy that I've not been folding as much as I could plus I ended up having to restart on my bonus points because of a few stupid things I was playing with caused me to delete all my Folding Information.

I just do what I can and hope any little bit I can do will help.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Try not to stress too much Yodap. I missed turning in my most recient WU by the due date as I've been so busy that I've not been folding as much as I could plus I ended up having to restart on my bonus points because of a few stupid things I was playing with caused me to delete all my Folding Information.

I just do what I can and hope any little bit I can do will help.
Thank-you and of course you're right. :)
I need to stop stressing the small stuff and think big picture.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That's all that we can do, is think of the big picture. I only get an average of one WU per day in, for a hundred points or so, and a bonus after 10WU's. Even though I don't have the high performance client, I still get some bonus points because I use the security code. I've checked, and have seen the bonus points myself.

Hopefully, in the spring, I can get a faster processor for my desktop, a newer Athlon X2 dual core. I'm beginning to look at my options already, it appears that I can upgrade for less than $100 easily.

Then, I can rack up some of the big points myself. But there's more involved than points. I noticed that my last WU was for an Alzheimer's protein, that disease has claimed the lives of many, I honestly hope that a cure is found soon, and even though my points were small, that small step went a large way towards curing people of the disease.

Many people take their health for granted, I once did, but it's something that you can't take for granted. Having been through a lot myself since 2006, has taught me a lot. When you're sick, I mean very sick, you look at life in an entirely different manner.

The temporary surgery that was done on my neck during the summer isn't holding up. That's why I'm not on here as much. My hands starts to get tingly and numb after only an hour or so on the computer, and each and every morning I wake up that way. Sometimes I can't even feel the cup of coffee in my hand, or can barely feel it.

I have degenerative disc disease along with osteoarthritis that's advancing rapidly through my spine. Hopefully, folding@home is working on these diseases, too. At any rate, my future is looking dimmer with every passing day. My pain meds have been increased during my last two monthly visits.

But I do my very best not to let it get me down, hold my head up, and get my mind on other things. That alone helps a lot.

Cat

Reaction score
Hopefully, in the spring, I can get a faster processor for my desktop, a newer Athlon X2 dual core. I'm beginning to look at my options already, it appears that I can upgrade for less than $100 easily.
I'm not an AMD guy, so I can't really be of any help to you on this matter. I did roughly look through the details for you.

Processor upgrade information

• Socket type: AM2
  • Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:
    • AMD Athlon 64 X2 3xxxe (Brisbane)
    • AMD Athlon X2 6xxxe (Brisbane)
The only thing I can determine is you have an AM2 socket currently running an Energy Efficient CPU (22W "e" series). Someone with more AMD experience may know if a higher wattage CPU will work with your system. The other e series CPU's run at 45W and don't give much of a performance boost. As much as I would like for you to have a better performing PC. I would hate to see you buy something that will not work for you.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
That is of concern to me, too. It may be that HP has a similar model of this computer that's "beefed up" a little more. They made several all in ones during the same time that this one was available. But even if a higher performance one was available, it doesn't mean that the same MB is installed.

At any rate, I won't make a purchase until I know that the upgrade will work. I have noticed that about the "e" series, Newegg had none available. I may have to contact AMD themselves, to see what's available.

One thing for sure, I'll never buy another all in one again. Not that it's a bad computer, it does run decently for the money spent. For someone who just wants a working computer at a reasonable price, it's a good one. But the lack of room to upgrade parts is a handicap to one who's wanting to upgrade them. Because of the restricted space, I can't even replace the MB to do any serious upgrading with. Also, as I understand it, I can't replace the video card, I wanted a 512MB one, but the card is an integrated one.

Most likely, I'll have to wait until I can do my own build to get what I want. The options that Newegg has are endless, and they have ones now that you don't even need as much as a screwdriver to build. At least that's what they claim.

I have an envelope that I'm sticking cash in every month just for this purpose.

Cat

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Woo-Hoo! I just reached 100WU's, although it should take a few minutes to show up. After many months of notebook breakdowns, overheating, etc, somehow or the other, I made it. I had it reached sooner, but I clicked onto another team's number by mistake, and didn't want to declare that I reached that milestone, until it was for our team.

Hopefully, the next 100 will go faster (and event free) than the first did.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how long it took IMHO, it matters that we would not have reached 1000 WU's without you.

Way to be Cat!

Fold baby fold!

PS...You and TG both at 100. :)

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Awsome news Cat! Glad to have you folding along, who knows, your little 100 could have a result in there that advances the research by leaps and bounds.

Reaction score
@Cliff - Sorry for not getting to you sooner! I have been caught up in schoolwork lately. Anyways the specs of the mainframe are as follows:

Board 1 -
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.8GHz
nVidia 8500GT -> CUDA
2GB RAM

Board 2-
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.7GHz
No CUDA GPU... Yet
1GB RAM

Board 3-
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz
1GB RAM

Board 4-
AMD Athlon 2100+ OC 1.9GHz
1GB RAM

Board 5-
Intel Prescott-core CPU 2.53GHz
1GB RAM

Board 6-
AMD Athlon 850 OC 1 GHz
512M RAM

Reaction score
the specs of the mainframe are as follows:

Board 1 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.8GHz - 2GB RAM - nVidia 8500GT -> CUDA
Board 2 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.7GHz - 1GB RAM - No CUDA GPU... Yet
Board 3 - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz - 1GB RAM
Board 4 - AMD Athlon 2100+ OC 1.9GHz - 1GB RAM
Board 5 - Intel Prescott-core CPU 2.53GHz - 1GB RAM
Board 6 - AMD Athlon 850 OC 1 GHz - 512M RAM
WOW - thats quite a variety. :)

Have you had time to configure them for folding yet?
I'm curious how they will all perform. :)

Ask a Question