Folding@home for w7forums.com

Reaction score
Currently all of them run their own separate OSes, about half of those were my previous SETI arrangement. Currently I am configuring them to run a middleware which sees each board as resources which will be controlled from one PC. This should help with a few things here:

1. Folding
2. Ease of administration
3. Basement heat :)

They aren't configured for Folding yet, either, as many of those machines need maintenance in the form of cleaning, PSU replacement or BiOS updates to work with different CPUs. I am going to bring at least two of these machines online by the end of this week! :D

Reaction score
Currently I am configuring them to run a middleware which sees each board as resources which will be controlled from one PC.
This sounds like something that I would be interested in. Am I understanding this correctly, One PC running a client and the other machines lend a hand in completing the work.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
This sounds like something that I would be interested in. Am I understanding this correctly, One PC running a client and the other machines lend a hand in completing the work.
I am intrigued!

Reaction score
It's pretty much like the concept of cloud computing - All contributing computers use a middleware program instead of an operating system, and thus they are clients. The middleware makes all resources available via network, in this case a Gbps LAN net to a host computer with the OS that uses the available resources to do its bidding.

The clients behave like clients on a distributed computing network such as Folding@home in that they receive a work unit from the host, processes it and then returns the results. If using my idea of a setup for Folding, the host would be running the client which uses the resources of the other computers, as said by Clif.

Reaction score
It's pretty much like the concept of cloud computing - All contributing computers use a middleware program instead of an operating system, and thus they are clients. The middleware makes all resources available via network, in this case a Gbps LAN net to a host computer with the OS that uses the available resources to do its bidding.

The clients behave like clients on a distributed computing network such as Folding@home in that they receive a work unit from the host, processes it and then returns the results. If using my idea of a setup for Folding, the host would be running the client which uses the resources of the other computers, as said by Clif.
WOW - I am also intrigued!

Keep us posted on how this works out. :D

Reaction score
Alrighty, will do! I am building a nice rack for these boxes as well - getting rid of the rusty and dusty old cases. I'll keep you up to date on pics as well.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Alrighty, will do! I am building a nice rack for these boxes as well - getting rid of the rusty and dusty old cases. I'll keep you up to date on pics as well.
Now there is where I could offer my help, being a carpenter and all. To bad 3000 miles separate us.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
At my first attempt at joining up my PC was going Bazoomy! So I stopped for a while to do the un-manly thing and read a few instructions. I've got it set just about right now. I d/led the auto recommended .msi option from the Standard Client option list. Was that the right choice by my specs?
I've now punched in a user name (Err, Elmer_BeFuddled, no less!) and entered the team number (186660). How or when do I found out that I'm actually contributing towards the team?

Whoo Hoo 20/100!! I take it that is not a lot!? :)

Side thought, When I try to use the "viewer.exe" it just crashes on me. Not essential I know but.....

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
At my first attempt at joining up my PC was going Bazoomy! So I stopped for a while to do the un-manly thing and read a few instructions. I've got it set just about right now. I d/led the auto recommended .msi option from the Standard Client option list. Was that the right choice by my specs?
I've now punched in a user name (Err, Elmer_BeFuddled, no less!) and entered the team number (186660). How or when do I found out that I'm actually contributing towards the team?

Whoo Hoo 20/100!! I take it that is not a lot!? :)

Side thought, When I try to use the "viewer.exe" it just crashes on me. Not essential I know but.....
Hey buddy thanks for coming by!

You should be able to run the smp-2 client. Don;t worry about that now though. You were 20% done at posting. When the work unit finishes and sends the results you will be on the board after the next update. They update every hour usully around the top of the hour. If I recall that 100 step WU was a lengthy bugger. Are you running the sys-tray client or the console client? The console client shows your progress all the time. The sys-tray client you need to right click it in the tray then status and log file. then you can calculate your percent/hour. I'll find the link for Fahmon and check back.

Thanks for being a do-gooder.

Reaction score
Yes, that would be the time to switch after a WU. :)

Elmer BeFuddled twiddles thumbs.

Holy cr__, I'm gonna quit trying to read that. :/

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Core, are you using the smp2 client? If you are your bonus should be kicking in soon.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, I am. I hope I config'd it correctly... So far I think the PPD is pretty low, I think.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
When the bonus kicks in, you will get credit for the previous 10 too.

Check out FahMon if you haven't already.

Reaction score
I hope I config'd it correctly... So far I think the PPD is pretty low.
Looking in Task Manager, is the client using only one core or all cores? The -smp client parameter needs to be used so the client knows to use all cores.

I think you had just started receiving the bonus when you stopped folding. If you have your passkey setup, you should have been receiving bonuses when you started back.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
The processes list says cpu usage for fahcore is 25. That's what it is stuck at.

Attachments

Reaction score
Project 6507

Projects 6507 and 6508 are for the "classic" FAH clients.

Project 6507 is for domain B of calmodulin (previously was p6506), a well-studied calcium-binding protein. Project 6508 simulates protein G, another well-studied globular alpha/beta topology protein domain.

This work is a collaboration with researchers at UCSF to explore ways of refining near-native protein structures using local free energy density methods.

Points and deadlines:
project 6507: 99 points, timeout 18 days, deadline 27 days
project 6508: 73 points, timeout 13 days, deadline 20 days
I'm guessing that the client is not setup for high performance multicore WU's. This is where the -smp flag needs to be used as a parameter in the shortcut or setup during configuring the client. You may need to configure the advanced settings to access this feature for configuration.

Here is a copy of my client.cfg, you can use it as a reference.
Code:
[settings]
username=clifford_cooley
team=186660
passkey=(passkey is personal and was removed)
asknet=no
machineid=1
bigpackets=normal
extra_parms=[B][U][COLOR="Blue"]-smp[/COLOR][/U][/B]
local=89

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[core]
priority=96
cpuusage=100
disableassembly=no
checkpoint=5
ignoredeadlines=no
nocpulock=0
addr=

[power]
battery=no

[clienttype]
memory=4095
type=3

Last edited:

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Right, I finished my "unit" on the standard client and downloaded the smp2 (?) client, which surprisingly, was a lot easier to set up than I thought it would be. Had more fun trying to get the FahMon to work but got there in the end.

My question is. I now have a tab on my taskbar all the time. Any way to send it to the Systray? Not a major thing, but you know how you get stuck with how something looks!!

Ask a Question