- Mar 8, 2009
- Reaction score
I've created a Team for w7forums - w7forums.com. The team # is 186660. It is easy to fold at home.
- Download a client that will work best for you.
- Check for a Username that has not been used.
- Setup the client configuration file.
- Start the Client to begin folding at home.
Source Link - http://folding.stanford.edu/Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases.
- You can help scientists studying these diseases by simply running a piece of software.
- [email protected] is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. [email protected] uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.
- Protein folding is linked to disease, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers.
- Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.
- What is protein folding?
- Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.
- What have we done so far?