I believe this is a folding@home issue

Reaction score
Clifford myself and draceena are both experienced these mysterious named empty folders in C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local. I've begun to think it's a folding@home housekkeping issue Stanford's folding@home needs to address. These completely empty folders appear daily. I delete mine daily and this screenshot is from 1 hour after deleting the other like named empty folders in the same location. Here's a previous thread link that I posted elsewhere on the forum. https://www.w7forums.com/mysterious-folders-my-appdata-local-folder-t9388.html#post76077

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
@brkkab123, I don't think (e-mail address removed) is the culprit. I just checked both of my Win7 systems running folding and neither have folders resembling the ones in this thread or your original thread.

I do not use MSE. I have Norton 360 running.

Hope this helps you narrow down the cause.

Reaction score
I wasn't wasn't positive if it was the culprit or not. After reading on my other post that draceena has the same issue. I assumed it could be from (e-mail address removed) as both of us fold. However I also know draceena and myself are also using the multiple core version of (e-mail address removed). When I used the other version, I didn't have any folders like the weird named empty ones I'm getting daily.

Reaction score
I have a few of those folders in a temp folder at that address but none of them at the address you mentioned.
c:\Users\Clifford Cooley\AppData\Local\Temp\

Reaction score
I wasn't wasn't positive if it was the culprit or not. After reading on my other post that draceena has the same issue. I assumed it could be from folding@home as both of us fold. However I also know draceena and myself are also using the multiple core version of f@H. When I used the other version, I didn't have any folders like the weird named empty ones I'm getting daily.
I'm using the multiple core (SMP) version, too. I have an XP machine running the Classic client, but can't check it right now as it is in use. When I can check it, I'll let you know if I find anything.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I deleted all the wierd folders 4 days ago, and checking today I see one was created for each day (so I now have 3 folders, dated the 13th, 14th and 15th) the times these files were created are all around the same time of day (8:09pm, 9:15pm and 9:27pm). I know that my folding is not finishing and downloading at this time of day so I doubt that folding has anything to do with these folders.

Reaction score
The directories are structured a little differently, but nothing on the XP machine, either.

(C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I do not use (e-mail address removed), so cannot speak for that. But the folders/files are temporary files that windows & other programs create because they are needed for certain operations.
When , for example, an antivirus program says an update is available, it is downloaded to the temp folder then installed from there.

But I view it as a bug that they are never deleted, you do it manually or use a program like ccleaner. I logged it as a bug but got no response.
You can hide them (View - "Don't show hidden..etc") but that is purely cosmetic. They still build up.

Reaction score
These are just temp files and easy to clean out. Just go to the start button, All programs, accessories, system tools, dsic cleanup. It will show you how much space you can save by deleting uneeded folders. Just make sure you have checked the box for 'Temp Folders" and they will all go away.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure, but I do not think disk cleanup will deal with those files, as they are officially "hidden" (even if you "unhide" them.)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Would the "Unlocker" app help to gain access, and delete them?

Cat

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
There is no problem with access. If they are unhidden, it is easy enough to delete them manually.

Reaction score
Mine delete without issues. The only issue, is why do numerous one's appear daily in the same location.

Ask a Question