Folding@home for w7forums.com

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Thanks c_c. I had fumbled the setup by taking shortcuts, from the looks of it. It's running in SMP mode now.

I still get this weird error when the client loads about missing mpiexec. I read on the folding site that if it's missing you can install it after the fact, and that the zip file should contain install.bat with which to do it. But the zip file doesn't contain anything like it, only the one executable. Is mpiexec needed or beneficial for the smp client?

Reaction score
My question is. I now have a tab on my taskbar all the time. Any way to send it to the Systray? Not a major thing, but you know how you get stuck with how something looks!!
I don't have an answer for you on this one. I'm stuck with a button on the taskbar too. :/

Reaction score
I still get this weird error when the client loads about missing mpiexec. I read on the folding site that if it's missing you can install it after the fact, and that the zip file should contain install.bat with which to do it. But the zip file doesn't contain anything like it, only the one executable. Is mpiexec needed or beneficial for the smp client?
They supposedly took out the need for mpiexec installer in the latest version. :)
Did you download the latest version when you started folding again?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Yeah, 6.32 or whatever. The client carries on fine without the mpiexec, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing out on anything. I could have sworn that back when I first started folding, I'd have 3 or 4 instances of the folding client showing up in Task Manager's process list, but with this client it's just the one.

Ah well, I'll just pin it there then. Least it's not got an ugly icon.
If you set it up to run as a service, do you still get the tab in the taskbar?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What I'm saying is.... well just look. The HFM.NET monitor figures in the bonus in the credit column.

Thanks again Full_Taoer

Attachments

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Has anyone tried folding in XP Mode yet? I recently installed XP Mode, and the regular folding client within it, but haven't started folding with it yet.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it out, and if so, what the results were.

Cat

Reaction score
Some really nice numbers being put up by the team in the past few days.
Yeah, I've been watching those numbers. It appears Core is receiving his bonus, that helped raise the Teams PPD allot. :)

I'm also expecting my GTS 450 tomorrow. :D
Has anyone tried folding in XP Mode yet? I recently installed XP Mode, and the regular folding client within it, but haven't started folding with it yet.
Sorry cat, I have Home Premium and my clients are running fine straight from Windows 7.

Reaction score
Hi, Gang. I've been back to your forum a few times but haven't read too much until today.

@Elmer BeFuddled - What client are you running? I have heard there were problems with some versions of the client not cooperating with the run-as-service feature. The newest 6.30 SMP2 beta client does this quite well.

I have the 6.30 SMP2 client running as a service on my laptop (Win7 x64) and the Classic uniprocessor client as a service on my old desktop (P4 with WinXP SP3 x32). When it runs as a service, there is nothing showing on your taskbar. As a matter of fact, since FAH only utilizes unused clock cycles and relinquishes those when something else runs, you wouldn't even know it is on the computer without opening the Services monitor. If you want to know what your progress is for a service client, you really have to run a monitoring program like HFM or FAHmon.

I recommeded that you get the client running right first before configuring it as a service. It's just easier to stop and change configuration from the command prompt than to have to open Services and stop the client from there, then switch to the command prompt for configuration.

When I first set that up, I was trying to set the client with the -oneunit flag so I could stop the client neatly before I had to go away for a long weekend. The work unit I had been folding was at 99%, and I lost it. In desperation trying to get that one back, I downloaded a couple more work units and lost them, too.:( So, learn from my mistake.

And congrats to the whole team! You guys are moving right up the EOC stats (team rank overall = 2262)!!

Reaction score

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it out, and if so, what the results were.

Cat
Hi, Cat. Bummer about the bad RAM.

As far as the XP Mode, I don't think there would be anything to gain from running folding in that.

The only reason I could think to do that is if folding was really unstable on your machine and you wanted to isolate the rest of the machine from the crashes. But if that were the case, you would be far ahead to figure out why the crashes were happening.

At one time, there were a number of folders using VMware to run Linux on their machines and do the folding with that. Their reason for that was to run the work units called bigadv that were only available for Linux installs. Since then, the bigadv units were stopped under Linux due to some problems Stanford found and they were introduced to Windows SMP2 clients.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Full_Taoer, welcome back and thanks for your continued interest in our team.

Would you mind if I pm'd you about an anomaly that happened to me today? I will cc anyone else on the team that is interested.

I was thinking about posting about it but in my mind I didn't want to come across as bitching about something that is probably the fault of my computer. Also, I may have already gone over my bitching limit for the week. :)

Let me know and I'll send it tomorrow.

Reaction score
I was thinking about posting about it but in my mind I didn't want to come across as bitching about something that is probably the fault of my computer. Also, I may have already gone over my bitching limit for the week. :)
Post away. If you are having troubles maybe someone can help. You my friend have earned the right to post whatever and whenever, as long as its within forum guidelines. :)

Reaction score
Would you mind if I pm'd you about an anomaly that happened to me today? I will cc anyone else on the team that is interested.
PM or post, as Cliff said. I'll check back to see what's on your mind. If you are struggling with something, there exists the possibility someone else is, too, and just hasn't mentioned it yet. ;)

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I've had 2 abnormalities with folding. From time to time, my FaHMon will have the word *hang* instead of the ETA to completion. I don't really know if the Folding Program itself or the Monitor is having issues so I end up closing and opening both and all proceeds. The other oddness was on the WU I am working now, I was moving the data from one location to another (while the client was stopped) and it seemed to retart ok but then threw up a message that it couldn't read/access some information and totally restrarted the WU.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Hmmm, 3gb project, up to 97%....cannot find (or words to that effect).
4gb project 78%.....ditto. 4 projects like this so far, the little first one was no problem even through a storm of windows updates/reboots.
Getting nowhere fast here!! I assume I'm allowed to reboot as necessary?

Ask a Question