Folding@home for w7forums.com

Reaction score
I've completed my first GPU job! :) 40K and counting.

Is it possible that I got credit for 3 WU for this?
Do Bonus points kick in after a time, with this client?
Which graphics adapter do you have? :)

Only one work unit per job. It is possible that a WU stacked up and uploaded with your last one.
To my knowledge, bonus points are only given for SMP2 Client's folding with Core_A3.

Reaction score
Hello!

Just wanted to stop in say "Hi." I fold with Team MaximumPC (11108) and thought I would offer some words of encouragement. (If my intrusion is unwelcome, I apologize.)

@c_c, great job at getting more people aware and involved with Folding@Home! Since I found you while Googling, your team must be starting to make some noise on the internet. In fact, your showing up on the EOC stats now.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=186660

I see some have struggled to get configurations right. I had the same problem, but I had helpful team members to show me the way. You are doing well at helping one another out, too. That is what team is about.

The massive points you saw being put up by Beavers_Gone_Bananas back in May was all part of a friendly annual competition in May between about eight teams, called the Chimp Challenge. Many folders from the team all fold under one username (Team MaxPC uses Maximum_Monkey). This year's challenge was the first team to 20 million points. TeamEVGA stomped all others, but the key is it generates a lot of research for Stanford.

@Cat, 90C seems pretty high, even for a laptop. For mine, I use a USB-powered cooling pad with two fans. It helps keep my temperatures in check around 72C. (it's a dual-core running SMP and big work units). Watch for a sale and you can get one for around $20. Your safety is at stake, so I think it is worth the money.

Some of you have had questions about how to gauge what your computers are producing, as far as point are concerned. Many folders use a small program called HFM.net.
http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/
It was created by Harlam with the Overclockers team, and he provides it free, though you can donate if you wish. On the right side of the page is a light green box that says "Featured Downloads." Windows users should select the MSI version, as it has an installer. The ZIP version does not. Once it's up and running, choose "Client", then "Add Client". You'll want to point that at your FAHlog.txt file. If you are running both CPU and GPU, just add a client for each. Don't forget to save your configuration. The program shows you what project each client is working on, what the progress is in %, how many estimated points you will get when you finish the work unit (bonus points are calculated if you are running SMP with a passkey and have qualified it with 10 work units and a completion rate of >80%), and how many Points per Day (PPD) you are generating.

If you have questions, you will find a lot of helpful people in the folding world. Often, I see members of other teams on the MPC forum with news or suggestions. After all, it's for a good cause.

Great work so far, guys and gals! Keep on folding!

Reaction score
Hi Full_Taoer - Welcome to w7forums

Thanks for stopping by and explaining a few things. I certainly don't think your visit is an intrusion. After all the main goal is to fold or recruit folders no matter the team that is chosen.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
A big hello Full_Taoer!
No intrusion imho. It's nice to see that kind of interaction with fellow folders.

Is that little proggie you mentioned similar to Fahmon? I just installed that on my box with the 2 clients running.

Thanks for the input.

Yo

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! The folding community is a nice one to be in.

Yodap, FAHmon and HFM are similar. The one thing you don't get with FAHmon that you do with HFM is bonus point calculation built in. Of course, that's only of use if you are running an SMP client and folding A3 work units. (One note about the bonus calc in HFM: it is set to show bonus points for all eligible work units, but it doesn't know if you have qualified the passkey or not. So even during your first 10 work units, it will show bonus points, even though you won't get them from Stanford. That can be shut off in the configuration, though.)

If you are using a dual-core processor, you can pull down bonuses, but you will have to fold nearly 24/7. Quad-cores give some more breathing room and bigger bonuses, as c_c can attest to. And if anyone has an i7 920 or greater, you might be able to do the projects that require the -bigadv flag. Those take 3-4 days to complete, but the credit for one can be over 55,000 points.

I hope to see your team picking up more folders and moving up the ranks. At your current pace, your team should be high enough on the EOC stats site to have individual stats posted in about 6 months (I think the cutoff is the Top 1500 teams). For now, you can find yourselves at another stats site I like:
http://www.xcpus.com/Folding/FoldingTeamSummary.aspx?teamID=186660&page=1

Happy folding!

Reaction score
At your current pace, your team should be high enough on the EOC stats site to have individual stats posted in about 6 months (I think the cutoff is the Top 1500 teams). For now, you can find yourselves at another stats site I like:
http://www.xcpus.com/Folding/FoldingTeamSummary.aspx?teamID=186660&page=1
Yeah I've been checking that number out. Unfortunately it will take about a year to reach that goal. By the time we reach team rank of 1250 (actual cutoff) we will need about 4 Million points. It's over 3 million now and climbing every day.

I've not been to that status site. I think I will go there now. :D

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I can easily see that yodap has collected a bonus for his last 4 WU's :)
Not sure about that. I think what your seeing is a combination of smp and gpu + 1 other wu.

I now have turned off the single core machines to better judge what's actually happening.

I believe I'm getting about 480 or so on smp and 560 or so on gpu. According to the hfm.net program my smp2 client should be at about 1700/wu when bonus kicks in.

Either way I'm glad to be contributing more.

Edit: That is a great sight! Thanks Full_Taoer.

Reaction score
I have been folding for bout a week now. Please forgive me for not being on the forums as much as I should or would like to be, but I have my computer running every day. I'm folding with my ATI Radeon HD 5770, and it's running great! I promise you I will begin folding on my AMD Phenom II Quad 965 @ 3.83GHz as soon as the weather gets a little colder, due to the amount of warmth produced in a room with poor circulation such as mine. I'm going to go in there and join the W7Forums team say... right now? I will fire up the mainframe relatively soon. Yes, the mainframe. Time to boost our team rank :D

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Woot Woot!

Welcome aboard my friend. Thank-you.

Yo

Reaction score
Glad to see you aboard WindowsGeek. :D

We're moving on up the ladder, getting close to the 1 million points and even closer to Team Rank of 3000.

I'm kinda waiting for cooler weather too. It will allow for more overclocking of my CPU by raising the voltages more.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
CC, My last wu was worth 1724. That's progress baby. :D

Reaction score
I'm excited to see what my family calls "the mainframe" can do - It's pretty much a heap of machines with wares that resemble the rackmount stuff, with a small amount of age thrown in. 5 systems linked, more to come. Just need to replace a few PSUs first. Family won't let me flip the switch until the weather becomes cool enough, sorry guys!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thats interesting :)

Could you post a picture or two of this setup? :D

Out of curiosity, what series CPU's are we talking about?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Yes sir.

So my first folding job after the bonus kicks in turns out to be one of those really long ones, probably 50 hours on my machine. Oy! :( It's all good though.

Reaction score
What percentage are you now yadap? :)

I'm curious as to what your points will be for this large work unit.

Ask a Question