Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Torrent, Out of curiosity (and in extreme general terms) how would you rate Win7 in terms of set-up/running issues as compared to Vista and XP?
Would you say it is more picky about being set up correctly and how it handles drivers and such?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I do not presume to answer for TorrentG but I will offer my own "general" thoughts on the matter. Rather than thinking which OS I think of which bit size.

Microsoft has gone to great lengths to rein in unruly drivers for the 64-bit OS requiring strict standards for signed driver qualification. But 32-bit drivers have always been a mess and for compatibility they still accept the old drivers on 32-bit systems. I believe as more and more people go 64-bit the driver issues will decrease.

Reaction score
Ehh..I dunno..driver issues are common on both x86 and x64. All the time, every day, I see x64 Windows 7 with February 2009 Realtek lan drivers that crash, ASACPI.sys (ASUS driver) from 2005 that crashes etc...

It's true that you can not install unsigned drivers, by default, in x64. That doesn't stop people from installing ancient x64 drivers though.

As for Vista/7 differences, Vista is probably slightly more tolerant of older driver dates in many cases, because these drivers were specifically written at the time for it, then. Many users install Vista or even XP drivers in 7. It works in lots of cases. Others, it's not good.

Any of the three OS can be made to be perfectly stable with choosing a good antivirus instead of bsod causer, and careful attention to the latest drivers from manufacturers' sites.

Reaction score
Response to TorrentG

Hi Torrent. I’d have responded sooner but have been away for a few days.
I do acknowledge and respect your expertise with the Windows OS, and I realize you’ve helped a lot a people on this forum. I also recognize that we expect a lot from a system that has to run in tons of different hardware and software environments. I guess you’re going to say that the very many patches, hot fixes and updates released by Microsoft are to cope with unforeseen problems related to user hardware and software and don’t reflect any issues with the basic OS. But the line between an OS problem and a user-generated problem is fuzzy, to put it mildly.
I installed Win7 precisely because it had been so heavily tested before release, and because so many experts said it was way superior to XP and Vista. Yet from the very start and for the first two weeks after installation, I could access the internet on only about 1 of 3 boot-ups. This frustrating problem was finally solved by a kind person like yourself on a different forum who had discovered that the random internet access problem, shared by many other users new to Win 7, arose from a service called “Bonjour” (aka "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##") which is a service created by Apple (!) and which needed to be swapped from “automatic” to “automatic (delayed start)” — end of problem. Now, that service was installed from the Microsoft Win 7 DVD. I didn’t go near Quicktime or any Apple software till long after. I reckon that glitch is unequivocally a problem with the OS, though of course you might also argue the fault somehow lies with Apple.
The point of my first post was that the freezing fault I’m experiencing is complained of all over the web, with an identical description, yet there seems to have been no coherent, effective solution suggested. Yep, something is taking the attention of Win 7 when my computer temporarily freezes. Sure, it may be my antivirus hogging CPU or memory; but Avira is recommended by loads of ‘expert’ magazines and websites and it doesn’t slow down XP on my dual boot machine running exactly the same hardware and much of the same software as I run on Win 7. Yep, some piece of hardware or software may be diverting Win 7 but not XP's attention, but I’m fully conscious of that sort of possibility and try to watch for changes in performance when I install something new. The freezing started without any temporal relation to any new items.
When I run Win 7 with Task Manager open at ‘processes’ plus a system monitor displaying usage, only “System Idle Process” ever seems to hog much CPU (but still <10%) and my RAM usage never exceeds 50% of my 4Gb. This applies even when the system freezes. Forgive me for continuing to think there is a problem with Win 7, at the very least because it seems to offer no useful diagnostic to provide an indication when it’s being hogged.
Apologies for long post/diatribe: I don’t expect an answer.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Now, that service was installed from the Microsoft Win 7 DVD.
Hmmmm..I don't think so. Don't see it on any of my installs. Only on XP with I-tunes.

Reaction score
I could access the internet on only about 1 of 3 boot-ups. This frustrating problem was finally solved by a kind person like yourself on a different forum who had discovered that the random internet access problem, shared by many other users new to Win 7, arose from a service called “Bonjour” (aka "##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##") which is a service created by Apple (!) and which needed to be swapped from “automatic” to “automatic (delayed start)” — end of problem. Now, that service was installed from the Microsoft Win 7 DVD. I didn’t go near Quicktime or any Apple software till long after. I reckon that glitch is unequivocally a problem with the OS, though of course you might also argue the fault somehow lies with Apple.
I was one of the first ever (if not, the first) to post about the Bonjour service and what it does to cripple Windows networking. It is not in any way part of Windows. It is commonly installed with Photoshop or iTunes.

You want to completely uninstall that junk from the machine.

Win7 has no problems with freezing whatsoever. None. Now 3rd party software installed...sure. Or hardware issues, sure.

Reaction score
Thanks yodap and Torrent (and I'm not surprised if you were first to pick up on the Bonjour problem, Torrent). I don't have an iPod, Pad or Phone but most certainly DO have Photoshop and installed it (part of CS3 Creative Suite) straight after win 7. Will uninstall Bonjour right away. BTW, I never get a freeze when I'm running the Adobe (now updated to CS5) software - photoshop, premiere, after effects and encore: does that give any hint about possible sources of the freeze?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
One point I would like to add. When I look at the descriptions of windows updates before I install them, I would say 95% or more are related to modifications to the system because of hacker exploits. I would not say that is a fault of the OS because the OS works, but instead I see it as a problem with humanity that nasty people on a daily basis are out to harm others. Probably another 1% are for Microsoft to try to protect themselves and music companies with WAT and rights management services because bad people steal. Another 1% are additional functionality, such as Silverlight, which admittedly are so Microsoft can make additional money or to regain some control of services initially provided by companies that aren't them. So I would say at least 97% of all windows are some form of greed or control unrelated to any fault of the OS. Add another 1 or 2% for driver updates and monthly malware scans.

Reaction score
I was one of the first ever (if not, the first) to post about the Bonjour service and what it does to cripple Windows networking. It is not in any way part of Windows. It is commonly installed with Photoshop or iTunes.
The question that should be asked then is what has changed in the O/S when going from XP to 7 that causes Bonjour to effect 7 but not XP.
Is it as TM suggested a protectionist thing from M/S? I run itunes and if I delete Bonjour then the next time I try to run itunes it re-installs it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonjour_(software)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been suggested before, but this is a long thread and I didn't read the whole thing. I was getting freezes, and I think they've gone away now. The cause seems to be the sleep times for the computer and the hard drives were different. I had changed the computer sleep time to 60 minutes. However, the hard drive sleep time is somewhere else and I didn't see it at first. It was set to 20 minutes. So the hard drives would shut down, then later the computer would . I think this was causing the problem. I figured this out, changed the HD sleep to 61 minutes. Now there are no freezes and it even responds better coming awake after shut-downs. This may not fix everyone's problem, but it's something to check.
After updating all my drivers and cleaning the inside of my PC it still frooze until i tried this solution. Now I havent experienced any freezes in the past week or so. :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Mychael see above, "“Bonjour” ... need to be swapped from “automatic” to “automatic (delayed start)” — end of problem".

And I didn't mean to imply anything about the Bonjour service, which is NOT from Microsoft btw - it's from Apple, I was referring to the comment made about the OS not being good because they put out updates.

Last edited:
Reaction score
And I didn't mean to imply anything about the Bonjour service, which is NOT from Microsoft btw - it's from Apple,.
Yeah I got that, Also have iphones and an old apple computer.Still was wondering though what is it (as opposed to how to fix it) that makes Win7 unhappy with it when XP runs it without any tweaks needed.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well if simply delaying it's start solves the problem then by logical deduction it would most likely be because it requires another service which W7 is now delaying (This W7 delay of services is what allows for its' faster boot up time than previous OS's). If I had to hazard a guess I would say network/internet connectivity.

Reaction score
Hello and..help!

Hello everyone, glad to be here :)

I'm new here, (found the page via Google - after Google'ing "Windows7 freezes"), and I've been reading some of the pages to find a solution to my problem, but unfortunately no luck here.

I tried to deactivate all the services and the progs that are starting at the boot (msconfig), and no luck, it even freeze in Safe Mode.

I un-installed all the programs that I don't use, I updated my drivers, I even "down-dated" the ATI Driver after reading about it in this thread, and still no luck.

What happens? My computer just freeze, the keyboard won't respond, the mouse won't respond not even after a few minutes, the only solution is to shut down the computer.

I formated my computer 2 days ago because of this problem, and it'll keep doing the same. I had W7 x86 and I tried another version, (LastOS7 x86), I thought it'll make things work, but no luck. I don't know what to do, I tried the memory test, no errors, HD test, no errors. IDK. I even updated the BIOS.

If I remember right, this happened after the Windows Update and after installing the latest version of the ATI Video Driver, that's why I formated, same thing. Before the format I had a Dual Boot: W7 and Ubuntu.

Here are my specs:

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Internet Explorer 8.0.7600.16385
DirectX DirectX 11.0

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Pentium E2200, 2200 MHz (11 x 200)
Motherboard Name Dell Inspiron 530
Motherboard Chipset Intel Bearlake G33
System Memory 3328 MB
DIMM1: Kingston KCM633-ELC 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM2: Kingston KCM633-ELC 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM3: Kingston KCM633-ELC 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
DIMM4: Kingston KCM633-ELC 1 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (6-6-6-18 @ 400 MHz) (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)
BIOS Type Award (02/24/09)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3450 (RV620)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon HD 3450 (RV620)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI RV620 - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC888/1200 @ Intel 82801IB ICH9 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-2]

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH9 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920
Disk Drive TEAC USB HS-CF Card USB Device
Disk Drive TEAC USB HS-MS Card USB Device
Disk Drive TEAC USB HS-SD Card USB Device
Disk Drive TEAC USB HS-xD/SM USB Device
Disk Drive WDC WD3200AAKS-75L9A0 ATA Device (298 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7200S ATA Device (DVD+R9:8x, DVD-R9:12x, DVD+RW:20x/8x, DVD-RW:20x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/32x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 54995 MB (30062 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 244.4 GB (79.4 GB free)
Total Size 298.1 GB (108.8 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Primary IP Address xxx.168.x.x
Primary MAC Address -xx-xx-09-xx-xx
Network Adapter Intel(R) 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection (192.168.x.xxx)

Reaction score
So I buy a brand new computer and buy Windows 7 with it and the damn thing wont stop freezing! I cant even listen to ONE LITTLE SONG IN A MEDIA PLAYER WITHOUT THE WHOLE DAMN THING FREEZING UP.
And to think I went out of my way to pay for this.
Now I have to google how to do all the things you guys are talking about, like look up what my RAM voltage is set to - I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THESE THINGS SO I GUESS I NEED TO SPEND 500 HOURS LEARNING HOW TO DO ALL THESE INDIVIDUAL THINGS AND MAYBE I WILL WASTE MY TIME ANYWAY!
God dammit if I had of known then what I know now!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

From your post, I'm surmising that you JUST bought a a new computer that does not work. Take or send the friggin thing back for replacement or refund!. If you are unable or unwilling to do that, then post some more information about it.

This is not a complaint forum, it's a help and information forum. You are welcome here but maybe you should cool your jets a little on your first post.

Yes, I did wake on the wrong side of the bed this morning!

Reaction score
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

From your post, I'm surmising that you JUST bought a a new computer that does not work. Take or send the friggin thing back for replacement or refund!. If you are unable or unwilling to do that, then post some more information about it.

This is not a complaint forum, it's a help and information forum. You are welcome here but maybe you should cool your jets a little on your first post.

Yes, I did wake on the wrong side of the bed this morning!
Sorry :/
I bought it over 6 months ago. The freezing problem has gradually become worse.
Yes I jumped on here in anger, frustrated with the fact that my 6 month old computer is going to need me to spend many hours resolving this problem.
My expertise lies in software DAW's, I have another PC right next to this one running XP and it has no problems - and running 2Gb RAM it also feels faster than this 4Gb (3.2Gb (32bit) windows 7 machine.
I am sorry for the outburst, but I am quite annoyed with this.

I will lay it out for you: if you want specs and things to kindly help me, I need advice or links to go about achieving this information, and any processes for that matter. Windows media player and VLC media player freeze after a few minutes of play - jittering then freezing for up to a couple of minutes. If I have a few tabs open in explorer, I tend to get a freeze that lasts one or two minutes also.
I remember when I first purchased this tower, and honestly it feels like it was a lot faster than it is now. :eek:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Andrei and Jimmy, if you have a virus this can always effect the way your computer runs so first please run a complete virus scan as well as running Malwarebytes. If you have anti-virus software already install run that but if not we recommend Microsoft Security Essentuals (MSE) Here is our freeware database of recommended programs; you can find links to MSE, malwarebytes, and the other programs I will be mentioning in the rest of this post there. If you have a virus that should to be handled before anything else.

Andrei, windows needs most of it's services to even run properly, it concerns me that you are trying to disable them all. Generally the items in start-up can be disabled but stopping essential services will disable network connectivity etc. I suggest you take the Windows 7 repair disc, which you were supposed to create the first time you ever booted up in Windows 7 and run it to restore your system files.

Now both of you, assuming you are virus-free, here are several programs I would recommend you have and why. One of the most informative (and free) programs available to know more about your hardware and software is called SIW, this may be especially informative to Jimmy. Another piece of software I would recommend installing is Process Explorer; you can run Process Explorer in a window and watch what programs and services are utilizing your CPU when your computer slows down. Third, please download and install CCleaner; then run Analyze and next run cleaner; then move down to the registry tab and scan for issues followed by fix issues (when it asks if it should back up the entries prior to deletion say yes and store the file somewhere you can find it, such as in My Documents. You shouldn't ever need this file but if the very next time you boot up your system refuses to start then this can be used in safe mode to restore the registry to it's prior values. After a week or so you should delete this file as you won't want to go back after that).

Next, your choice of anti-virus software can have a huge impact on system performance, causing slow-downs and even Blue Screens Of Death (BSOD) so please let us know what anti-virus you are using. And as mentioned if you don''t have any then install MSE ... plus Malwarebytes, but that is not an active scanner so it can be installed alongside any anti-virus program and run once a week or so. One of the most common recommendations is to uninstall the anti-virus you currently have and try MSE.

Hardware problems can of course cause system problems so if you are an overclocker and have tweaked your system speeds at all please let us know.

If your system is sluggish when you have your browser running this could be caused by excessive add-ons or cookies and cache size or if you have a huge hosts file. The cookies and cache should have been cleared if you ran CCleaner as recommended. What add-ons you have can be disabled or removed from within the browser options. If you don't know what a hosts file is, then it being to large isn't likely your problem, but if you do use it then mention that fact. When you post you may mention which browser you use (type, version, and if actually using the 64bit browser say that because up till yesterday they were rarely used). While I'm on the information you should provide, which version OS (home starter, home premium, professional, ultimate, enterprise) and is it 32-bit or 64-bit and also how much RAM may be useful (I notice you have provided some of this).

A crash (BSOD) is different then freezing. If you get BSODs then move over to that section and post a new thread in the BSOD section including the zipped minidumps (see the sticky in that section for what to post). This will tell our newest moderator vital information. In fact he will likely tell you exactly what drivers need updating (as well as to install MSE after removing any other anti-virus software).

A lot of problems are caused by out-dated drivers, there are many tools out there to help you check your current drivers, unfortunately most of them can do more harm than good. I used a product called Device Doctor, it fixed two drivers I had and then installed a third which crashed my system and took me an hour to recover in safe-mode. My advice would be to run it and see what it suggests but unless it suggests, for example, a sound driver and your sound isn't working, then I wouldn't install the driver. Your safest bet is to write down the drivers it suggests you need and then go to the websites of the manufacturer of that part (or of your computer if you cannot locate a site for the particular part) and get the latest direct from them. And it is always a good idea to create a restore point prior to installing any driver updates. Use this product or any device updater with extreme caution as mentioned; if you want to try Device Doctor, see HERE.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Sorry :/
I bought it over 6 months ago. The freezing problem has gradually become worse.
Yes I jumped on here in anger, frustrated with the fact that my 6 month old computer is going to need me to spend many hours resolving this problem.
My expertise lies in software DAW's, I have another PC right next to this one running XP and it has no problems - and running 2Gb RAM it also feels faster than this 4Gb (3.2Gb (32bit) windows 7 machine.
I am sorry for the outburst, but I am quite annoyed with this.

I will lay it out for you: if you want specs and things to kindly help me, I need advice or links to go about achieving this information, and any processes for that matter. Windows media player and VLC media player freeze after a few minutes of play - jittering then freezing for up to a couple of minutes. If I have a few tabs open in explorer, I tend to get a freeze that lasts one or two minutes also.
I remember when I first purchased this tower, and honestly it feels like it was a lot faster than it is now. :eek:
JimmyB

11:30 eastern and I'm just now able to get back to you. My apologies. It was a long long day!

The Previous poster, TM as we call him, is a smart man. After you've done what he's suggested, we'll look into some possible hardware problems such as bad ram sticks or simple over heating.

First, tell us what AV your running. We need to know this because we know which ones are resource hogs and/or conflict with W7.

Okay, you mentioned DAWS. You also mentioned problems with WMP and VLC. IMHO you can toss WMP in the river. However I like VLC and have never had a problem with it, with any file type. Do your problems occur with standard music file types, - wav, mp3, oggvorbis, flac etc. or file types created from within the DAWS program?

Do your problems occur when doing normal computing tasks such as gaming, or less resource hungry tasks like surfing and email.

Now for hardware. First, open your tower and check for dust. Dust on the motherboard, Cpu fan/heat-sink, power supply fan and video card and fan can be causing overheating and freezes or just slowing you down. Unplug it and vacuum it out. Then if possible take it outside and use the vacuum in reverse and blow out every nook and cranny you can get into and then vacuum it out again.

Because your computer is only 6 months old, I doubt your memory sticks are bad, but it's easy enough to check. Download and burn Memtest to a disc. Boot with it and let it run all night. Let us know if any errors are found.

After this is done we'll look into drivers and other things.

Have you had any blue screen crashes or just freeze-ups?

That's all I can think of now but let's crack this nut and get that machine humming like it was new.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Now for hardware. First, open your tower and check for dust. Dust on the motherboard, Cpu fan/heat-sink, power supply fan and video card and fan can be causing overheating and freezes or just slowing you down. Unplug it and vacuum it out. Then if possible take it outside and use the vacuum in reverse and blow out every nook and cranny you can get into and then vacuum it out again..
Additional input: Be extremely careful when doing this that you ground yourself, don't use metal hoses/parts and avoid direct contact with the computer parts because static electricity can damage them.

Ask a Question