Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit freezes when I use xfinity as browser/home page

Reaction score
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Randomly Freezes

No BSOD just random freezes with screen on and no keys or cursor repsond, all I can do is use a hard reset to restart. Then I get the standard windows was not shut down properly messege at start-up. I have been having this issue/s and have tried all the same standard help people have had to offer, in all the dfferent post I've read online. Update: Sorry about the previous post, changing the browser only helped temporarily.
To actually fix this issue I ended up having to go to the device manager and check for driver updates on all my devices, one at a time. I think the ones that had updates that fixed this issue were the ACPIx64-based PC under the computer drop down and the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers (I think these made the difference). I checked them all, but these were the only ones that had updates. Once those were updated and the computer was restarted, it has stayed on. It's been on for a day now and no problems so far.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well we have no control over what is on the comcast website so if it is poorly written it could cause issues. Often websites use java or javascript or Adobe flash or Microsoft silverlight in their web pages. You also have add-ins in your browser which may not work well with the html as coded. Likely your anti-virus software may have added add-ins to your browser as well to watch for malicious scripts. 1.Try running IE "without add-ins" and see if that helps.

2.You can go to Tools>Internet options ... advanced tab and uncheck "disable script debugging" and there are numerous other options there you could try.

3. You could tell IE to always run that site in compatibility mode (tools > compatibility mode) and see if it works then.

4. As you already said, you can use a different browser.

The point is, it could be a lot of things and you would have to try different things to try and isolate or control the issue.

Ask a Question