Windows Explorer freezes with large zip files (300MB+)

Reaction score
every time I try to open a large zip file (usually 300MB or bigger) it causes Windows Explorer to freeze!!! even just right clicking on the large zip file freezes Windows Explorer!!! I cannot even extract them using 7zip because right clicking and/or opening large zip files ALWAYS freezes Windows Explorer!!! any help would be appreciated!!!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This was a problem for some in Vista but haven't really heard of it in W7. What are the specs of your computer such as type CPU, amount of RAM, HD size?

What I suggest you do is change the file association. In control panel > default programs. In the set Associations window locate .zip near the bottom and click the Change Program button. Associate it with 7-zip. See if that helps.

If it's still a problem you could try removing W7s zip handling using the tip in the Vista link above (the same registry keys are still there in W7). Be sure to back up your registry (or at least those sections) before deleting anything in case of unexpected results.

Ask a Question