Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Well, I'm still having the same problems as before. Boot into W7 and it freezes within 1 minute. Boot into Safe mode, its cool. Except its not and its completely doing my head in now. This is a dual boot machine and XP is the same it freezes within 30 secs or so.

I have attached a zip file to this with my event log, my system information and also my services list. Can somebody somewhere on this earth please, please, please help me solve this? I have updated my MB drivers, my NIC drivers, and my video card drivers. I have d/l the latest BIOS update for my board from the ASUS website, but I can't get into windows to use the ASUS update s/w (is there another way?).

I have been reading on this forum about ACPI drivers and the problems they cause and was wondering whether that could be something to do with it. Should I disable ACPI in the BIOS?

Many thanks

Paul

Attachments

Reaction score
I have same problem with my win7 64X, and usually freezes after i connect internet. I tired to re-install modem program and driver but still have the problem!!

Hp Pavilion Dv 6
CPU 2.24 i5
Ram 4G DDR3

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Hi and welcome Ollie, please what modem program are you talking about? Also what modem do you have?

Reaction score
I now have a minidump file! Please find attached a minidump file, event log and message that windows gave me in Safe mode after the last freeze.

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi and welcome Ollie, please what modem program are you talking about? Also what modem do you have?

Thank you for your kind response. The modem is from AnyData aslo the software is "Total Connection Manager".

Reaction score
I now have a minidump file! Please find attached a minidump file, event log and message that windows gave me in Safe mode after the last freeze.
Unfortunately, not so good here. This is a 0x124 stop which is hardware based. Also unfortunately, the crash was so abrupt that it truncated the list of drivers. I can only see about 15% of them, which all are good. Rarely, a bad driver can trigger a 0x124 hardware stop.

If overclocking, set to defaults. Make sure heat is not an issue. Update the bios to latest. If still necessary, read and follow the excellent, precise advice in this following link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

Post new crashes if and when they happen.

Reaction score
Hi TorrentG, thanks for looking at the minidump file for me. I don't have any overclocking on my system, heat might be an issue, I'll run a fan onto the board as I'm booting up. Just flashed the BIOS today as well. Have read that link and it looks really useful.

I have attached a list of events that happen when it freezes, this is all of them. Could you possibly tell me if they point to anything in particular please?

Many thanks for your help TorrentG!

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi TorrentG, thanks for looking at the minidump file for me. I don't have any overclocking on my system, heat might be an issue, I'll run a fan onto the board as I'm booting up. Just flashed the BIOS today as well. Have read that link and it looks really useful.

I have attached a list of events that happen when it freezes, this is all of them. Could you possibly tell me if they point to anything in particular please?

Many thanks for your help TorrentG!
There are some weird restarts I've noticed:

"The process Explorer.EXE has initiated the restart of computer MUSICPCW7 on behalf of user MusicPCW7\Paul C for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)"

"The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (MUSICPCW7) has initiated the restart of computer MUSICPCW7 on behalf of user MusicPCW7\Paul C for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found"

You should run Malwarebytes to scan the system and remove all it finds. Update the definitions in it before doing so.

Then open an elevated command prompt. Type the following and press enter:

sfc /scannow

--------

If issues persist, install a "vanilla' Windows as shown at the link and run like that for some time to determine if problems exist or not.

Before doing so, low level format the hard drive to completely wipe it.

Reaction score
Hello everyone, glad to be here :)

I'm new here, (found the page via Google - after Google'ing "Windows7 freezes"), and I've been reading some of the pages to find a solution to my problem, but unfortunately no luck here.

I tried to deactivate all the services and the progs that are starting at the boot (msconfig), and no luck, it even freeze in Safe Mode.

I un-installed all the programs that I don't use, I updated my drivers, I even "down-dated" the ATI Driver after reading about it in this thread, and still no luck.

What happens? My computer just freeze, the keyboard won't respond, the mouse won't respond not even after a few minutes, the only solution is to shut down the computer.

I formated my computer 2 days ago because of this problem, and it'll keep doing the same. I had W7 x86 and I tried another version, (LastOS7 x86), I thought it'll make things work, but no luck. I don't know what to do, I tried the memory test, no errors, HD test, no errors. IDK. I even updated the BIOS.

If I remember right, this happened after the Windows Update and after installing the latest version of the ATI Video Driver, that's why I formated, same thing. Before the format I had a Dual Boot: W7 and Ubuntu.

Here are my specs:

I have the same issue my windows 7 ultimate keeps freezing. I built my pc from scratch and is only 10 months old. All was fine until late july early august and from what i recall it happened after a series of windows updates (the one where were you get about 20 or so lol). Sometimes its ok and doesnt freeze but if i reboot 100% it freezes within 5 mins, i then have to reboot 1-5 time and then it works fine. I have found that if i drop down to a single 2gb ram stick from 2x4gb sticks it doesnt seem to freeze. Ah! I hear you say its a ram issue, afraid not, i have run all sorts of hardware tests including prime and memtest and all the hard ware tests come back ok. Even tried one stick in all 4 slots, then tried the other stick in all four slots.

Funny thing is if i clean install it works fine, then as i work through the updates it starts its freezing thing again. I did a clean install and it happens after one of the updates from this year, since end of july im 100% sure.

Andrei is correct defo since an update.

I am about to clean install my win 7 and install the updates i need and then afraid to say disable the rest lol, may wait to service pack one and then try again.

Keep up the good work hi to all :)

Reaction score
Hi,
I am extremely busy with college at the moment but I hope soon I can go through the list and locate this problem.
A few things I have noticed recently:
1)The problem is becomming a little worse
2)I sometimes hear my hard drive click when the freeze happens - is this a spinning down drive? I don't really know what it means but I thought maybe it would have something to do with it.
3) I have a lot of movies and music stored on the same hard drive that has Windows 7 installed - while I study, I can start transferring all this to disc or another hard drive if it may help??

Cheers :)

MkH

Reaction score
I recently installed W7 Home Premium 64bit on this PC. Since 2006 it has been running Windows XP Pro 32bit without any problems, and now it keeps randomly freezing. Input devices stop responding and the only solution is to power it off completely. Most of the freezes seem to happen when I'm using Firefox, but then again, I'm using Firefox most of the time on the computer. I used W7's integrated RAM diagnostic to scan for errors there, but it didn't find any. I haven't tried Memtest yet, but I don't think the problem lies with the RAM. I also did a torture test using Prime 95, and after 11 hours the computer was still running without problems. The hard drive is rather old, a 250 gigabyte S-ATA drive, so that might be causing problems.

My setup is E6600@3,15Ghz, 4Gb 667MHz DDR2, E8800 GTS 320Mb and Abit AB9 Pro mobo.

Any suggested solutions are appreciated.

Reaction score
I just build a new pc a couple of weeks ago, and now on my clean install of Win 7 Ultimate 64bit i get random freezes, starts with things dont responds, if im listening to music it keeps playing and i can still move my mouse around, but after a couple of minutes the sound goes away and mouse freezes aswell, its so bloody annoying, i never had this issue on my old pc. Its totally random when i get it, it could be after 5 minutes of use, or not at all.

So my question is, any of you got any suggestions of what it could be?

I allready tried changing my ram settings in bios so they were correct, i tried the win 7 power consumption thing, i tried changing from firefox to chrome (seeing i pretty much allways had a firefox window up and running), updated my bios driver and ran memtest with no errors.... so im pretty blank.

Here's my setup:

MB: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4ghz
Ram: OCZ platinum 1333mhz DDR3 2048x2
Hdd: 2x OCZ Vertex 2 60gb SSD running Raid 0
Gfx: Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 1gb

And i havent overclocked anything :)

Just checked my eventviewer, and i see alot of superfetch errors [7023] around the time of the freezes, is that causing it you think?

Last edited:
Reaction score
yES IT IS DAMN ANNOYING! i CANT EVEN WATCH A YOUTUBE VIDEO WITOUT FREEZING AND JITTERING PLAYBACK, DRIVES ME CRAZY! Sorry didn't mean to yell caps lock :/

Reaction score
A little bit of advice may do many very well here:

Create a new thread with your issue so it can be discussed separately and doesn't get involved in a mix of all different problems on all different machines, in the same thread like it is here.

Reaction score
I seem to remember being asked to keep to this thread?
If it will make you feel better I can start another..
While you are here and you have a good chance of seeing my post as it is immediately after yours, I must ask: would you see this freezing problem in Windows 7 as a common occurence?
Please respond.

Reaction score
I seem to remember being asked to keep to this thread?
If it will make you feel better I can start another..
While you are here and you have a good chance of seeing my post as it is immediately after yours, I must ask: would you see this freezing problem in Windows 7 as a common occurence?
Please respond.
Only common in that there is something wrong with the system's hardware, bios settings or other installed software.

Windows 7 is perfect and has absolutely 0% chance of being the issue.

I don't represent MS or anything. I just tell it how I know.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would never say W7 is the cause of freezing as it can happen in any OS improperly set up. Is it a common problem? As there are 150 million W7 users out there (which averages to 7 copies sold every second) I would estimate maybe 1 in 10,000 freeze up.

If it isn't the OS's fault then whose fault is it? From what I have seen the #1 issue tends to be device drivers - which all but the generic come from the hardware manufacturers, not Microsoft. #2 problems with the Hardware - overclocking, under-voltage, over-heating, BIOS needs updated, or a short in the cables (personal experience with my trackball cutting in and out because the cord was bad). EDIT: #3 bloated and slow anti-virus programs (A necessary evil but the wrong one can cripple your system) - Thanx TorrentG

Last edited:
Reaction score
....yep...and poor antivirus such as AVG, Norton/Symantec or McAfee.
Thanks for saying that, i removed AVG and installed Avast, no freezes in 36hrs now, longest without a freeze. Ive never used anything but AVG Pro, but now ill stay away from it :)

Ask a Question