Windows freezes when on MsOffice or saving attachments

Reaction score
Hi,
I am experiencing freezing of my system (Windows 7 64b) with MsOffice 2010 when and ONLY :
1. When I open office applications (mainly Word and Excel). Each time I open the applications, I got the "not responding" at the top of the window, it gets worse is the file opened, I make a change in it (which take time to type) and I try to save the changes: in this case the only solution is to shut down the computer (Manually). Even the task manager freezes when I tried to close the application.

2. When I try to download attachments (small word and excel files) from mail server (I tried them all, gmail, hotmail, yahoo...): I got the "not responding" at the top of the window. In this case the solution is to wait until the attachment is downloaded (it takes more than 1 min for a very small word file 25K)
I tried a lot of solutions I found online. ccleaner, deleting add-ins, cleaning registry, disk cleanup...

The thing is, as long as I dont open any MsOffice Apps or try to d/l attachments from email, I can download from the Internet without any problem, and I can do anything else, even sending emails with attachments!!!
Any clues please?
thank you

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have you applied all available updates to Office? I've had similar issues in the past, and this almost invariably helped fix them.

If you have, then honestly I would try removing and reinstalling Office, as much of a pain as it is.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It might also help us to know how much RAM your computer has and whether you are running the 32-bit or 64-bit W7 OS.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hey says 64b so I am going to risk it and assume 64-bit.

I would try to Repair Office before uninstalling and reinstalling. It may not work, but often it does and sure saves a lot of hassles.

You said the problem happens when you try to download attachments - download with what?

Reaction score
Hi all, Thank you for your replies
To Answer your questions:
My laptop is a Samsung R540
Windows 7 64 bit
RAM: 3GB

Yes I tried Office repair but the problem persists

I applied all the Office updates, the drivers updates...

When I try to download the attachments I receive with emails (gmail, hotmail, yahoo) (all of them word or excel small files): but as I said, in this case I just have to wait until the download goes thru. Unlike the Msoffice apps when I have to manually shut down the system because even the task manager freezes when Msoffice stops responding.

Thank you

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
When I try to download the attachments I receive with emails (gmail, hotmail, yahoo)
I asked, "with what" because Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo are all web-based email program. You don't download with them since they run in a browser. Which browser? Have you tried an alternative browser?

Does it freeze just when downloading, or when you try to open the attachments?

Have you scanned for malware?

Reaction score
Oh I see...
I use mostly Mozilla Firefox and I tried to do it on IE9, same problem
It freezes when I click on download attachment, it starts d/l and then I get the "not responding" message

Yes I scanned with Malwarebytes... nothing

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Do you have all Windows Update (Windows, not Office) patches applied?

If not, install them. If yes, run sfc /scannow.

Reaction score
Just checked one more time, all updates installed

I run the sfc /scannow I had the prompt cmd window for a sec and it disappeared

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Just checked one more time, all updates installed

I run the sfc /scannow I had the prompt cmd window for a sec and it disappeared
Don't type it into the start menu. Launch Command Prompt with Admin privileges and type it in there.

Reaction score
Core,
Just did it, it says: Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations

Ask a Question