Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Thank you for the replying, TrainableMan!

My problem was the HD, too many sector errors. I could get to some info but no at some other info.

I'll have it changed in the few next days.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Andrei - you can change the hard drive out yourself, it's very easy and quick to do.

BTW, Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website!

Reaction score
Thanks Yodap and TM, I am beginning to go through the above mentioned processes. Once finished I will post back :)

Reaction score
Andrei - you can change the hard drive out yourself, it's very easy and quick to do.

Yes, I know, just give me a few days to get my hand on some money, I'm not in a rush for now, I have another computer; but by the end of this week the thing should be done.

Thank you once again! :)

Reaction score
Hi all. Not to bore everyone with all my details, but I'd like to pose a potential solution to the "freeze" problem and get feedback on if it worked or not.

My interest lies in the fact that a friend from Microsoft doesn't believe my solution "solved" the problem. Yet there is no other explanation from the folks in Redmond.

Okay-the setup. Dual core AMD X64, 1 gig memory, initially started with Biostar on-board video but upgraded to this from NewEgg: SAPPHIRE 100252HDMI Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Low Profile Ready Video Card

Freeze problem both with on-board video and new card.

Turned off aero, still froze.

Plugged in a formatted drive that worked on another computer, still froze (worked on the other PC just fine).

FINALLY-the solution. In an obscure post, as well as an "event viewer" alarm about Kernel-Pwr that was dismissed by MS friend, I changed the power profile from "balanced" to "high performance".

Lemme just restate the fix (for me, anyway): I changed the power profile from "balanced" to "high performance" and no freezes at all, even running youtube videos, etc.

Oh-I also tried installing a D-Link PCI ethernet card. Still froze while watching youtube vids.

Well, good luck everyone. Hope to hear back with some good news!

Dale
I was about to ask a question here but after reading what you just wrote I decided to try what you did with the power setting , wow it worked

Every once in a while I would lose whatever I was doing and getting this chilling Blue screen and rebooted itself. So far you're idea is working. Man I love this forum...

Roger

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I keep forgetting about this fix! It's a simple fix and works a lot of the time.

Contrary to popular opinions around here, not ALL freezing issues are dealing with AV software and such.

Reaction score
Hi there, have just found your forum and too I am having the same problem. I am running W7 64 Ultimate, and I have been getting a freeze every time I boot up from 0-3 mins after boot up. boot up in Safe mode, absolutely fine. Try a clean boot and still no dice, after disabling all but MS services in MSconfig, So no startup items and no services except the MS ones.

I am stumped. Have looked in Event log and the only thing that jumps out is a bad sector on disk 3 (my external back up drive).

Can anybody point me in the right direction, have been running this W7 install for a good month or so now with no problems, its just started doing this literally today.

My hardware specs are as follows:

Intel QX6600 Quad core CPU
4GB DDRII RAM
Asus P5K motherboard
Geforce 7300 LE Graphics Adaptor
Running W7 x64 Ultimate.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Paul

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Make sure your drivers are up to date, including video & Check out a few of my ideas on page 50 of this thread.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi,
I am extremely busy with my studies right now, but I hope to have time to work on this problem soon.
I saw a post mentioning that changing the power profile from "balanced" to "high performance" may be a possible solution. If this has worked for a few people, would someone please tell me how I change those settings? Of course if it is recommended I try the other things first that is ok, I have already run a complete scan with no problems as this is all I have had time for.

I understand this "freezing" problem is isolated here in this thread.. but just yesterday I had a friend bring his W7 laptop to class and yes - he has a freezing problem too! So this W7 freezing - is it common?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Power settings may help a laptop, I don't know how it could help a desktop but it won't hurt anything to try it ...
Control panel \ Power Options
Select High Performance rather than Balanced.

Reaction score
If this power settings adjustment is fixing issues, then in those cases, the drivers and/or bios are old, needing updates.

Reaction score
I have just tried the power fix and no difference, it lasted 30 seconds longer..... :-(

Reaction score
Just booted it completely clean and it was ok, until I opened an app. I tried two apps IE8 and FL Studio 9.5, my studio software and upon opening it froze. It was sat there quite happily for 5 mins idling, but as soon as I increased the load it froze.

Anybody got any ideas?

Reaction score
I suggest using Reason, all these damn annoying freezes I had and Reason has not frozen once.
What kinda tunes you make?

Reaction score
Mainly electro house mate. heres my soundcloud for you to check it out: http://soundcloud.com/dj-paul-c

This is bugging the hell out of me am just in the middle of updating my mb drivers and such. But all my security services have been turned off (bitdefender, windows defender, windows security centre). So I am loath to connect up to the net on that machine. Any ideas? I thought possibly virus as it was all my security services that were switched off

Reaction score
The freezing problems really sucks, but the problem lies not simply with the software but the hardware as well.
1. Some Manufactures of Motherboards rushed their products to market and cheapened some of the components on the boards. Like:
a. esata connectors
b. usb sd readers
c. 1394 ports
d. even the sound ports
2. Alot of these are not compatible with Win7 or the bios on the Motherboard, and sometimes it is just the hardware components themselves. It is not the age of the components, it is the components themselves and it happens with laptops and desktop alike.
3. Disengage all components that you feel donot work properly, and reset (not flash) your bios back to default.
4. It worked in XP, why not windows 7 you ask? XP is more forgiving of components that are out of control and Windows 7 is not. I have loaded win7 on different, and much older motherboards, (K7S5A, 2 meg video, 133 ram as one trial) and Win7 worked (video suffered) without locking up.
5. Becareful what you add to your computer, because windows 7 likes it as main stream as possible. When your antivirus tells you there is a virus and you think it is a false positive, you are wrong!!!! When it gets to your bios you are going to be screwed.
6. I know most of you don't do this, but if you do, stay away from apps that require a FIX instead of a serial. Anything that messes with your bios or registry is suspect.

Reaction score
The freezing problems really sucks, but the problem lies not simply with the software but the hardware as well.
1. Some Manufactures of Motherboards rushed their products to market and cheapened some of the components on the boards. Like:
a. esata connectors
b. usb sd readers
c. 1394 ports
d. even the sound ports
2. Alot of these are not compatible with Win7 or the bios on the Motherboard, and sometimes it is just the hardware components themselves. It is not the age of the components, it is the components themselves and it happens with laptops and desktop alike.
3. Disengage all components that you feel donot work properly, and reset (not flash) your bios back to default.
4. It worked in XP, why not windows 7 you ask? XP is more forgiving of components that are out of control and Windows 7 is not. I have loaded win7 on different, and much older motherboards, (K7S5A, 2 meg video, 133 ram as one trial) and Win7 worked (video suffered) without locking up.
5. Becareful what you add to your computer, because windows 7 likes it as main stream as possible. When your antivirus tells you there is a virus and you think it is a false positive, you are wrong!!!! When it gets to your bios you are going to be screwed.
6. I know most of you don't do this, but if you do, stay away from apps that require a FIX instead of a serial. Anything that messes with your bios or registry is suspect.
1) Almost all newer computers use Realtek HD Audio, with a rare exception here or there. There is absolutely nothing cheap or defective about these codecs and hardware. Neither with the rare ones from other companies.

2) Simply untrue. In all my years of doing what I do, never once have I come to the conclusion that "Hey, ya, your hardware isn't going to work well" because of a brand or model. The one and only exception is Razer when they try to make it look like they have updated drivers but only repackage old 2007 or earlier ones that cause 0xD1 stop errors.

3) Not very good advice. Latest bios is 100% recommended, 100% of the time, problems or not. Otherwise, it is a decent method to disable what you feel may be causing issues, so cool.

4) XP is not more forgiving. Windows 7 is way more stable, efficient with very much increased performance benchmark proven and handles memory management in a far superior manner than any other Microsoft consumer OS to date. Perhaps of any MS OS to date and/or Linux and its variants.

5) False positives are extremely common, especially when using serial or key generators, which shouldn't be used for other reasons.

6) Not sure what a "fix instead of serial" means. If you mean a crack to replace the .exe, then that could perhaps cause the .exe to crash but it will not harm anything else. We don't support or generally otherwise speak about these things on this forum. Generalizations as I've made are acceptable. But no methods, links etc...

Other than that, I'd like to say welcome to the forum. There are so many members here that are very knowledgeable and I'm humbled to be amongst them. The forum is an excellent resource for anyone with pc troubles or for anyone that simply enjoys discussing pcs.

So with that, please enjoy the site. :)

Ask a Question