Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Interesting feedback. I am also using ASUS and experiencing freeezing. ASUS m2n32-sl1. Will check acpi although as I went to 64 bit from 32 bit xp I have updated acpi already.
cheers
Jeff

Reaction score
Okay I have a W7 freezing problem, but min is only when using Avid Pro Tools 8 or Reason 5 or any other D.A.W. I have installed. Someone said they solve the problem by uninstalling their Gigabyte Geforce 460 on this site "Which I also have". I also came across info and was looking for input.

His words, not mine!

Go to control panel>choose system and security>Find and fix problems>Program
Click on run programs from previous versions of windows and follow the prompts.

This solved my problem in less than five minutes it allowed my Pro Tools to run under the settings of Win XP SP2 and it did wonders. It recognized all the plugins and the program booted up quickly. I hope this helps as I was really frustrated with this issue. You can save the settings so the program runs that way each time. Give it a try you have nothing to lose. Good luck and happy recording.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If the problem is specific to certain old programs then sure try running them in compatibility mode, it's definitely worth trying.

And a video card or any hardware can cause issues if there are physical defects or improper drivers; so replacing the card sounds extreme unless it is damaged but definitely make sure you are running the latest drivers for it. Gigabyte GeForce 460 is W7 compatible according to Microsoft.

Since you say it happens with digital audio software I would also look at your sound drivers (make sure they are the latest) and look at the codecs you have installed (maybe uninstall some and see if the problem persists).

Reaction score
If the problem is specific to certain old programs then sure try running them in compatibility mode, it's definitely worth trying.

And a video card or any hardware can cause issues if there are physical defects or improper drivers; so replacing the card sounds extreme unless it is damaged but definitely make sure you are running the latest drivers for it. Gigabyte GeForce 460 is W7 compatible according to Microsoft.

Since you say it happens with digital audio software I would also look at your sound drivers (make sure they are the latest) and look at the codecs you have installed (maybe uninstall some and see if the problem persists).

Thank You!

My video card works great and never freezes or crash when watching a Bluray or videos, so I will give it a try.

Reaction score
Earlier in this thread someone suggested it was old ASUS acpi drivers. I had already loaded new drivers so I tried checking the ACPI settings in the BIOS. I changed it to S1. Lo and behold haven't had a freeze since I made the change. Hope this helps.
cheers
Jeff

Ask a Question