Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Hi, I love windows 7, but it keeps freezing (allot) sometimes less than 5 minutes after I turn it on and soetimes 1 an hour after. So does anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone know how to fix it? I'm probably gonna try to reinstall Windows 7, just wanted to know if anyone knew a solution to the problem before i did it.

-Sjurdur
HI all , I have had the same drama with windows 7 freezing up, the icons on my desk-top would become UNclick-able, also when using eBay i could not enlarge images and so on... How ever after much research i noticed that it would happen when i closed "INTERNET EXPLORER " .. So i downloaded and installed "Firefox" internet browser - set it as my default browser -note i did not import anything from IE, and it fixed all my dramas in one go... here is Firefox download link -
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html --cheers all----
12-GAUGE......

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If it helps anyone, this is how I think we've fixed my problem with this issue:

Did a full check for any kind of virus - it's clean.
Did a long memory test - no problems.
Set the BIOS to default values. No help.
Tried leaving the anti-virus off. No help.
Installed the latest BIOS - no change
Tried a different user account - same as with mine.
Tried 2 gigs of a friend's memory - no change.
Replaced the GTX 280 video card with and 8800 GT - BINGO!!!

The GTX 280 goes back to EVGA for re-grooving... :)

Thanks for all the ideas up above.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I think this thread should be closed. There are too many causes of Windows freezing and too many different hardware configurations. My point is almost every case is different and should be handled as separate problems.

Reaction score
If this system had five items on Windows 7 locking up, separate items for each would make sense.

If there were 50 items on this, that's more than most people could deal with. If this was the goal, it would be better to start a whole forum on this one topic, and ask people to start a new discussion topic for each individual user to post their problems.

In my case, I didn't get my answer from the earlier posts, but I did learn quite a bit from them. If they had been scattered all over, I'd probably not have read all of them.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The problem is, people will say, "I have the exact same problem" only to find out he's running a 3 year old notebook with 512Mb of RAM and an AMD CPU, and 32-bit Windows and the other guy has a home built Intel based PC with 8Gb of RAM and 64-bit Windows. And typically one guy is running XP and the other Vista or Win 7. The only thing common in this thread is Win7, but no doubt after 43 pages of this thread, the discussion has touched on every version Win7 - and there are at least 6 of those, more if you count 32-bit and 64-bit as different, and I do.

Even two identical PCs rolling off the Dell assembly line become unique machines within the first few minutes of first power up. Buyer 1 will install Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall, and use IE8 and the full Office suite with Outlook, and attach his Epson printer and 24" LG widescreen and connect to his network/Internet via Ethernet and ADSL. Buyer 2 will create 3 user accounts and use Norton's security suite, Chrome, OpenOffice and Yahoo mail, and attach a HP printer/scanner/fax/copier and two Samsung 22" WS monitors and connect via wireless and cable.

I've been "working" forums for many years and the general policy is "different computer, different thread". There are exceptions of course. If suddenly all the computers in the house lose Internet access, that would go in one thread. Or sharing issues between two computers would go in one. But the main thing is, if you create your own thread with your own problem, you get undivided attention focused on your problem. This avoids confusion not only for the OP, but the responders as well.

Reaction score
Digerati,

Looked at from that perspective, I completely agree. I've got my own computer conferencing forum, on a site originally created for r/c car racing.

Here's a link to the computer discussion:
http://www.sgrid.com/cgi-bin/backtalk/peek:offroad2011,29

Either I would like to copy over what you've just said, or perhaps you can create an account and say it for yourself?

I wish people would post in this forum instead:
http://www.sgrid.com/cgi-bin/backtalk/peek:computers

It doesn't seem to work - everyone wants their question mixed in with everyone else's question, which makes it impossible for people to find stuff after a while. Your reasoning is far better than anything I've ever been able to say.

If you want to create an account, just go to:
www.sgrid.com/cgi-bin/backtalk and send the email. I'll validate it.
After that, you can copy over your message. Coming from someone who knows so much about computers, maybe it will encourage others to put their posts in the computer forum, rather than in one discussion topic.

As to the discussion here, what you say makes perfect sense. Maybe you should join the list of moderators, and just tell people to do that?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You can just post a link to my post here, or copy it with a link to here.
Maybe you should join the list of moderators, and just tell people to do that?
You don't join the moderator staff of forums just because you want to. The site staff must invite you, and that depends on many things, including if they need any more mods.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post, but I registered just to report something really interesting...

For all of you guys who use the program Windows Works 9, I found through process of elimination w/ msconfig that it was the direct cause of my freeze.

Opening the "Getting Started" app in the Works program folder caused my computer to freeze immediately after initialization.

I use an ASUS GT72GX notebook running on Windows 7 Home Pre

I wonder if there is a problem related to that program that is causing you guys problems.

Reaction score
What exactly did you remove from the starting list using MSCONFIG?

Does Windows crash every time you try to run Microsoft Works?

Is your version the latest version, or maybe one that was for an earlier version of Windows?

Reaction score
I started by removing all non Microsoft services and startups. Then, I reapplied each program one by one (Works happened to be at the end of the list =( ). When I turned on Works, the problem repeated, so I did one more test by turning everything else off and leaving only Works on. The problem still repeated.

The program responsible for the crash is like a reminder window that opens upon start-up if you start a project using Works. As I said before in my previous post, clicking on "Getting Started" creates the same result.

My computer came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium when I ordered it. What do you mean by older version? I keep it updated if that is what you mean.

EDIT

I did some more testing with other programs including
other windows works programs
games
other programs.

Turns out they all cause freezes as well. I just didn't notice till now because I've been using this forum the whole time.

Could this be an issue of memory allocation, causing any slightly intensive program to freeze the computer?

Last edited:
Reaction score
So far, so good. You know the problem is Microsoft Works, right?

Did Microsoft Works come with the computer, or did you install it?
Can you uninstall Works, then re-install it?
Is your version of Works the latest version, or can you download an updated version? Do you have "Works 8" or "Works 9"? Have you done all the Windows updates?

I would post your problem here:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/more/help.mspx

I suggest that you not say "The program responsible for the crash is like a reminder window that opens upon start-up if you start a project using Works."

Instead, say the exact wording that shows up on this new screen, and what it's called in the top of the box that contains the message. That way there will be no misunderstanding.

Reaction score
I am just a user - not experts like the rest of you. I just -1 week ago- bought a new Dell with windows7. Immediately it would freeze up. It came with McAffee. Got Kaspersky and that helped some. It would be pretty good in the morning but had to do a hard force it to quit and reboot 20 times in the evening. Of course Dell says you are on your own - a software problem - not their problem. It was pretty useless. I used ccCleaner. Nada. I had an old resistry repair pro and installed it. BINGO!!! YEAH!! How does my registry have 400+ errors in a few days but whatever- hope it lasts. Good luck to you guys. It really stunk that I went from a perfectly great XP to w7 that wasn't working at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Mookie, as the people at Vipre told me today, McAfee is "harder to get rid of than Thanksgiving leftovers". :) They had me download a Windows 7 McAffee removal program, to get rid of all the remnants of the program - it found a LOT. Since I did that, my slowdowns seem to have vanished.

My suggestion is to remove all the bits and pieces of any anti-virus you've been running, including running the programs to get rid of those things that don't get removed in an uninstall. At that point put on the trial version of Vipre. If the crashing and slowdowns stop, that's one step in making things better.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
If it's the AV causing problems, Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) will solve it. It is very effective, free, and doesn't cause freezes or any kind of problems. It's an all in one AV & Malware protection program.

As far as OEM installs goes, it's loaded with "crapware". PC Decrapifier will get allow you to get rid of the junk you don't need.

And don't forget to burn your reinstall discs should you need them in the future, Dell & HP has a utility to do this with. Consult your manual, and be sure to have at least 4 non-rewritable DVD's to do the job with.

Best of Luck,
Cat

Reaction score
Cat, is this something I can run in addition to Vipre, or is like any other anti-virus program, where I can't have it running at the same time Vipre is.

Is "PC Decrapifier" a separate program, or is it something that comes along with the MSE?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
MSE is just like any other AV product, it shouldn't be mixed with another product of it's kind.

PC Decrapifier is a program that is free, has nothing to do with MSE. The purpose of it is, when you get a new computer, it's loaded with all kinds of unwanted programs. Many are useless, free trials, all kinds of "crapware", as it's commonly called. This program allows you to rid your system of what you don't want.

As with adding any software, or removing it, always create a restore point, and most importantly, backup your system prior to making changes.

BTW, welcome to the forum! This is a good place to learn, and the people here are good, too. I hope that you enjoy your stay, anytime you need help, always feel free to post.

Cat

Reaction score
Windows 7 Freeze Final Solution?

...so I've had the same freezing issue with Windows 7 Home Premium. I have a similar system to that of many posters (X58 motherboard, Core i7 920, 16GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTS 250, 700w power supply, 5 HDDs totalling 7.5 TB). I run MS Office 07, a host of other software programs, incl. Flight Simulator displayed via my overhead HD projector (onto a 12 ft screen).

I've tried just about every idea proposed on all the boards I can find. In the end, NOT ONE of them worked. Except what I've found after just feeling helpless and angry. My system is now working just fine...until the next time, and I have a solution for it.

Here's the thing. I believe it's not one single or even a couple of issues that causes this problem. It's a combination of many scenarios, complicated by the forced and uninvited Windows critical updates (which oftentimes occur even if you have Windows update turned off--mine was set to "Never update"). Every time MS does an uninvited update, after my system's been up and running just fine, the screen goes blank, and then does a forced reboot, after which, once Windows comes back on, it freezes within 3 minutes, requiring a hard reboot.

My "go to" solution, after trying everything else, has been to simply restore back to a point prior to the last update. But I've found that only solves the problem about half the time.

Now, follow me on this analogy: being a pilot, I know that it's normal to experience heavy buffeting just before reaching and surpassing the speed of sound. The gut reaction is to throttle back and ease back into a comfortable profile. But you have to fight that urge, and throttle forward, through the buffeting, and once you exceed 768 KIAS, everything smooths out. If you allow all the updates, your PC will crash (freeze) a few times. You'll spend a good chunk of your time getting frustrated, doing hard reboots, etc. But push through, and at the end of all that your PC will work just fine. Until the next uninvited Windows update. I just think all of this is somewhat unavoidable, given the idea it's a combination of factors, which NVidia (or ATI), MS, ASUS, etc., all have failed to resolve as an interactive team.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
As far as OEM installs goes, it's loaded with "crapware".
This statement only applies to OEM from PC makers like HP, DELL, Sony, etc.

It does NOT apply to an OEM install of Windows 7 using the OEM disc which is purchased at an etailer such as Newegg or TigerDirect or a box retailer like Fry's Electronics or Best Buy.

Ask a Question