Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
hi guys, so after leaving the comp on safe mode w/ networking for 15+ hrs, i concluded the problem is not faulty hardware, rather some service or a driver conflict. Correct me if i'm wrong, but while windows is installing, there are services running?

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Some, sure. They are just loaded from the installation disk, so are very generic, and not likely the cause of your problem. I don't see it being a driver conflict either - unless you have many extra devices attached while trying to install - never a good idea. I definitely would NOT rule out faulty hardware - in fact, I am further convinced that is your problem since Safe Mode only uses the minimin of hardware and drivers.

Are you sure your RAM is compatible with your motherboard? Did you check the motherboard maker's RAM (and CPU) compatibility list?

Reaction score
I just did but it doesnt really say anything. However, i came across some threads in the Gigabyte forum that say that this ram cant be set to ran at 1600mhz automatically. Does that have any importance here?

The motherboard that i have is a GA-H55-UD2H rev 1.0

and the ram is OCZ3G1600LV6GK.

Reaction score
I just did but it doesnt really say anything. However, i came across some threads in the Gigabyte forum that say that this ram cant be set to ran at 1600mhz automatically. Does that have any importance here?

The motherboard that i have is a GA-H55-UD2H rev 1.0

and the ram is OCZ3G1600LV6GK.
I think they mean the board doesn't set it run at the correct frequency (and with the correct) voltage automatically, much like the ddr2 boards with 1066mhz and 1333mhz RAM.
You generally have to go in the bios and set it yourself, and then slowly raise the RAM voltage from the minimum setting until the system boots completely and passes a stress test with out crashing/errors.
I don't have any direct experience with the settings for DDR3 RAM, so I can't really offer much more advice on that, but I'm sure some of the other users can chime in on this.

Reaction score
hey guys, im back again... :( i so tried to install windows vista x32 and guess what, my computer froze againnnnn.. it was on the second step of the installation (expanding files 37%) Now this definitely rules out win 7..

Reaction score
It's a bit of a shot in the dark, but try plugging the hard drive to a different SATA port.

Also go into the bios again and check the RAM frequency and voltage settings... My only crashing and/or freezing during bootup/installation experience was when either my RAM, my CPU or both weren't getting enough juice.

It definitely sounds a lot more like a hardware issue now, though.

If all of the above still fails, it's possible that the motherboard is defective... You may want to at least call Gigabyte's tech support and consult them about this.

I'm sorry I can't offer anything more useful than this.

Reaction score
ill try that. Keep in mind that i already tried another power supply (750 watts), tried another set of identical memories, and tried a different motherboard as well. the only thing i haven't really replace is the processor... i even tried a different sata cable.

Ill try another port tho.
The funny part is that this comp is not even for me, its for a customer... this damm comp is making worth of every single penny that i'm going to be getting lol

Reaction score
ill try that. Keep in mind that i already tried another power supply (750 watts), tried another set of identical memories, and tried a different motherboard as well. the only thing i haven't really replace is the processor... i even tried a different sata cable.

Ill try another port tho.
The funny part is that this comp is not even for me, its for a customer... this damm comp is making worth of every single penny that i'm going to be getting lol

Have you tried adjusting the RAM and CPU voltage settings though?

Reaction score
no im doing that right now.. what about them though RAM frequencies tho?

Reaction score
RAM can run at lower frequency than original specification... It's just when it's running with the wrong voltage for the frequency it's running in that you get weird and erratic behaviour on the hardware level that causes issues with the proper running of the system.
It used to be an exclusive problem to overclocked systems, but now with the i7/i5/i3 and DDR3 setups, both the RAM and the CPU can be over- or underpowered when running at the default setting of the motherboard.

Reaction score

this is what i found. Everything seems normal?? except for the fact that the CPU Frequency is 2800.75 Mhz as opposed to 2.66Ghz?

Reaction score
ok so i RMA the ram and bought another set of ram. I still have the same problem. I also tried another video card (ati 4850) now the only thing left is the processor. Could that be the cause of the problem??

Reaction score
Hi...i have the same problem...I heard that a registry cleaner program can help and stop computer from freezing...anyone tested such a solution..?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It looks like you're running a Gigabyte motherboard. If you're overclocking your RAM you need to turn off all RAM Tweak settings like "Turbo" and those type settings. Set those to a "Standard" setting.

Set your DRAM voltage up a few notches to around 1.65 - 1.68 VDC and see what happens.

DON'T Adjust your CPU frequency settings, adjust the DRAM FSB to achieve the results you need. You may have to select one of the several "multipliers" listed in the BIOS to get the right one, as you select one it will instantly show what the new DRAM clock speed is.

If this is your RAM: OCZ3G1600LV6GK, then these are the recommended setting from OCZ website:

• 1600MHz DDR3
  • CL 8-8-8-24 (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
  • Available in 3GB, 6GB and 12GB kits
  • Gold Z3 XTC Heatspreader
  • Lifetime Warranty
  • 1.65 Volts
  • 240 Pin DIMM

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi guys, I experienced problems with W7 freeze a lot. I finally reinstalled my system and installed the wifi driver (Edimax 7128G). Then the new system froze again. I ended up with reinstalling the system again and I checked the driver - it was an obsolete one, aimed for Vista. I downloaded a new driver for W7 and since then (few days) no freezes. I end up with recommendation not to use drivers intended for older Windows versions. Hope this helps to someone.

Reaction score
Straight on my harddrive wich is a OCZ Core (SSD), gives this problem a lot.
Straight on a RAID-0 with 2 OCZ Core ssd's: same problem, I thought the raid was a problem till i installed it on a single drive.
I had the same problem, also with SSD drive. Changed the power settings to never let the drives spin down and it went away. Also take a look at this entry on the OCZ forum by bill Gates. These tweaks really helped a lot in terms of performance.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ormal-use-most-of-these-tweaks-are-NOT-needed.
Regards
MarkusRow

Reaction score
Freezing

I have the same problem.
Brand new PC, at least it was all most 2 months ago. Still have not solved the problem

Intel core i7 860
H50 watercooler
GIGABYTE ga-p55-ud3
mushkin blackline daredevil 2000 Mhz 7-10-8-27 1.65V
1TB wd caviar black
750W Seasonic PSU
(old) 8800GT

Anyway, freezing can definitely be associated with not enough RAM voltage, but most memory that is specified at 1.6-1.65 should not see any benefits in raising it (much higher) above 1.65. Prolonged operation at higher than 1.65 (eg 1.7) can damage the i5/i7 CPU (and it will,in time). However what is also very significant for i7 platforms is Core and QPI voltage. You usually don't hear a lot about QPI being not enough, but a typical problem with setups similar to mine (eg ASUS + OCZ ulv) is not having enough QPI. I don't know if you knew, but for i7 8XX and i7 7XX QPI voltage shold be up to 1.25. With high freq RAM you really want to get at least 1.25, again all without overclockig. That is what quix said about systems being undervolted, default QPI is usually not higher than 1.15 which is not enogh even if you undrclock your memory at 1333.

@ Angelo your problem is most likely not enogh QPI. Google it or contact support at OCZ to figure it out.

Now, my problem. First as soon as I put my system together and installed Windows it froze within an hour. Everything was at save settings.It would happen within 20min - 2hrs. After excessive RAM and CPU testing, and unplugging everything only thing remaining was CPU, MB, RAM or GPU. It never froze during testing, only common use or games. Then I thought it was the memory regardless of passing memtest. Another memory and it again froze within a day. both would freeze even in Win Vista 32 then. So, I thought it was not the memory, and kept trying stuff with bios. After returning test memory and going back to old memory I increased adequate QPI and Vcore voltages to safe limits. Now it holds for about 2 days and it will feeze again (for 10 hrs usage per day). Point is, increasing any voltage any further makes no difference. I even overclocked with same voltages, frequency of freezes is unchanged.
That leads me to think
(a) either CPU or MB is defective
(b) or I have the problem with the services on top of the problem with RAM, with the same symptoms, which would explain not working test RAM.

I have used windows update. Will try again windows vista 32 on another hard drive and another graphic card.

Let me know what you think.

Reaction score
To be honest i dont know what you are talking about. I'm not familiar with QPI nor a lot of the new terminology used in the bios.

As of today, i bought another set of ram ( didnt solve my problem) and I'm waiting for the replacement i5 to come in the mail. I'll let you guys know whether or not it was the processor or not.

Reaction score
Ok, what you can do if it is not the CPU is go BIOS->MIT->Advanced Voltage settings and post what you see there.
Did you assemble the PC yourself?

Last edited:

Ask a Question