Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Having the same issues..Dell said it had to do with me updating my Video Card
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 1GB ..I needed to uninstall the old before updating it..we did that and it quit freezing for a few days..but then it started again..it usually has to do with video..it will say no responding and freeze up. Wish I knew what the problem is..my laptop is only 2 months old.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Having the same issues..Dell said it had to do with me updating my Video Card
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 1GB ..I needed to uninstall the old before updating it..we did that and it quit freezing for a few days..but then it started again..it usually has to do with video..it will say no responding and freeze up. Wish I knew what the problem is..my laptop is only 2 months old.
Could you please post your specs? That would help. Also, what version of Windows are you running (32bit or 64bit?)?

Reaction score
Dell Studio XPS 16 Notebook

Could you please post your specs? That would help. Also, what version of Windows are you running (32bit or 64bit?)?
Intel CoreTM i5 430M processor
4GB, DDR3, 1333MHz 2 Dimm
ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 1GB
500GB 7200RPM Free Fall SensorSeagate Hard Drive
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit

Reaction score
a tech from Dell did it for me..so I am assuming he did..Everything worked fine afterwards and then a week goes by and it starts up again..I am checking my computer for malware right now..I noticed that I have to do a force shutdown at least once a week..it usually says something like explorer.exe is running..Do you think that could have something to do with it?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If you have a corruption within your OS it may cause imbalance, I would suggest downloading to your desktop the latest CCC and Drivers then uninstall ATI CCC and Drivers reboot then install fresh, there is nothing complicated when installing from the ATI download :)

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i think i have finally solved my problem. It turns out that the caused of my problem was the processor ( really rare). The computer has been running with the new processor ( brand new boxed processor sent by intel :) )for about 3-4 hours and it hasn't frozen yet. I have been trying to put stress on the processor to see if it freezes but so far nothing ( which is good).

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and ideas!!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's good to hear Angelo!

Yes, CPUs do fail sometimes. It's good that you're stress testing it too... let it go for several hours. That will also allow the thermal interface compound to flow easier into all the nooks and crannies giving a better thermal transfer to the CPU cooler.

Reaction score
Yep, my upgrade freezes too

Well MS you finally have given me the reason to drop your OS.

I ran for months on the RC, and thought maybe this is OK. I have upgraded to the release version, downloaded all the patches and updates.

Now I get constant freezing similar to all the people I have seen posting the same problem on the Web and here in the forums. And what a load of CRAP are the replies. Lets blame the user or his hardware. The system is supposed to isolate these items, and if one bit fails then rest should not.

This is a windows MAJOR BUG, it is not the Hardware ect. I suspect it is the hastily written Validation routines that MS is putting in and sneaking into the downloads, in the "oh lets panic someone may copy our OS" fear.

Look if you spend a year testing RC, why allow cowboys to make software changes without similar testing.

No I am not a newbie or a Linix groupy, ect. just pissed of the MS cant keep producing toys.

End of Rant.
Bye OS.

Yes I haven't put the specs and OS no ect. from the earlier replies there is no point. My time is too valuable to waste fixing their problems.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Sara, just FYI, explorer.exe is the Windows Explorer window, if you have that open looking at your folders when you shut down it will ask if it should force it but your system will force it itself after a few seconds (the default is 12 seconds but that can be changed in the registry) so that should not have anything to do with your freezing.

russelli, ripping off of windows 7 is running rampant, just search youtube for how tos (mostly it's how to get a virus but hey) so I don't really think that it has anything to do with piracy controls. For the most part problems are caused by bad drivers or incompatible BIOS. I think Microsoft needs to take some responsibility for this but they get the beta out earlier and earlier so vendors can test their product drivers and update BIOS, but where I feel MS fails is in gathering these results back and detecting the problems with their upgrade advisor and windows compatibility website.

To quote Andsome, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This is his advice for drivers but it isn't bad advice for considering Win 7 on old hardware either.

Now if it's newer hardware and it still doesn't work, well then, I'm pretty sure it's a government conspiracy. Probably that unique code in the processor so they know exactly which computer does what. Maybe if we line the inside of our case with aluminum foil and also make a hat for ourselves. What am I saying, I was raised it's improper to wear a hat inside. Huh, what, who said that? Dam* lepricons whispering in my ear. I have to go now, the aliens might take me to probe again and I want to apply vaseline before I go to bed. Where does all this new technology come from anyway, maybe Bill Gates IS an alien and the government is covering it up. Oh crap I shouldn't have written that - they will use my computers unique code and come hall me away. Doo do doo do, doo do doo do.

Or maybe it's too many moving parts. A little laptop has more computing power than the entire Apollo spacecraft and they rode that baby to the moon ... or did they? :p

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Russellii said:
Lets blame the user or his hardware
That fact is, that is where the blame belongs. There are 100s of millions of Windows 7 users running just fine - and only a "few", a tiny percentage who are not. 1% of 100 million is still a million - and they sure make a lot more noise than the 99% who are happy.

Windows 7 was designed for current hardware. If you are trying to install it on hardware designed to support XP, then it is likely the hardware's fault - or the HW maker's decision to not make Win7 drivers.

As Microsoft and the world learned before, you cannot support legacy software and hardware AND current software and hardware without compromising security. All the MS bashers and biased IT press slammed MS relentlessly for security during XP's run so MS has correctly decided to put security first with Windows 7. Or course for that decision, the MS bashers and biased press, like Hollywood tabloids, slam MS again, when in fact, it is users refusing to keep up with the technologies.

So while we always want to point the fingers elsewhere, that facts remain that the vast majority of problems people have upgrading older systems to Windows 7 is poor, or a lack of homework. The upgraders did not run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor BEFORE upgrading, and they did not download current Windows 7 drivers for all their devices before trying the upgrade.

Are there are exceptions? Sure. But that in no way indicates a bug, MAJOR or otherwise.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Russellii - C'mon man, tell us how you REALLY feel.

If you can't figure it all out then go back to XP.

Digerati said it all in his post above.

Reaction score
I'm another user that is getting random freezes and not having correct shutdowns. I think I might have solved the shutdown problem but I need to keep checking to make sure it doesn't come back but the freezes are harder to debug. Very annoying to buy an expensive computer to have it do this everyday with in the first month of having it. I think MS and the OEMs could have done a little better. I like it better than Vista though.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm another user that is getting random freezes and not having correct shutdowns. I think I might have solved the shutdown problem but I need to keep checking to make sure it doesn't come back but the freezes are harder to debug. Very annoying to buy an expensive computer to have it do this everyday with in the first month of having it. I think MS and the OEMs could have done a little better. I like it better than Vista though.
Hi! Welcome to the forums!
Have you tried updating drivers? OEMs just build the machine, install an OS and their cr*p on it, and leave you to solve all the other problems. What's your computer's configuration?

I think MS and the OEMs could have done a little better. I like it better than Vista though.
If you really think it's MS's fault, read this thread and think again.
https://www.w7forums.com/do-you-honestly-think-windows-7-poorly-written-t6005.html

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the good response. I mostly wanted to post to just put my problem in the thread because I couldn't believe the amount of people having the same problem. My stats are:

Monitor Dell ST2010
AMD Phenom II X4 820
nVIDIA GeForce 9100
MB PEGATRON CORPORATION VIOLET6
8G Kingston DDR3 SDRAM
BIOS Date:01/19/10
BIOS Version:5.14
SATA 3Gb/s 1Tera WDC
ATAPI CD/DVD Writer TS-H653R
Atheros 802.11 a/b/g/n Dualband Wireless

Windows 7 Home Premium Build 7600

That link didn't convince me but that's just me. I have my many reasons on Windows. Don't get me wrong I use Windows more than any other OS but there are many things I wish were different. :D

Reaction score
I've been having the same problem mostly while running Beyond TV. BeyondTV doesnt support x64 windows, but it was still freezing with 32 bit installed. Here's my specs
4GB Ram
core i5 @267GHz
w7 ult x64
600w ps
evga NVidia gtx 260
evga p55 mobo
Hauppage 1600 TV Tuner
1TB WD HD
1TB external wd mybook

Here's what I've done:
Replaced power supply with known good power supply
Reinstalled w7 completely and deleting both partitions (did not use upgrade option)
switched power scheme to high performance to turn off and sleep never
Compared services in safe mode and regular and turned off all i could
Switched to MS security essentials
verified all drivers up to date
verified ram works with mobo

It's still freezing though. The latest thing I have done without it freezing is disable the workstation service. That was about 15 min ago so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Ok that didn't work either, and since my last post I reverted back to 32bit xp and still had the same problem. I'm thinking its either the hard drive or the Ram at this point. I have a spare hard drive so i'll try swapping that out next.

Reaction score
Hey, I decided to check out a dump (don't know why I didn't before), and I found my shutdown problem to be from a legacy driver from some virtualization software I installed but rarely used. Seems to have solved that. I also unplugged my WD external but that was because it was turning on every time the computer did and I wasn't using it. I've also reinstalled my hp driver/software updater which used to have problems starting.

Windows 7 is looking better. Within the short time I've had it I've been liking it more and more especially the new VS 2010 (perfect version in my option). I'm glad ms is following google on the simplistic route. However I still get freezes once in a while which are harder to track down. They seem to usually be from an unresponsive program, app error, or graphic problems.

Anyway to other people experiencing problem and are able to get their minidumps (%windir%/minidump) you can read a tut on it http://thebackroomtech.com/2008/01/...debugging-tools-to-analyze-a-crash-dump-bsod/.

Reaction score
over heat freezing

in my case i found that after the computer has been shuted down (by pressing the button ofcourse) and have been off for a while, after i was turned it on it worked fine for soem time but then got stuck and switched the freqeuntly of getting stuck to be more often.
it reminded me some old problem of cpu temperature over heat , but it is a brand new computer with a nice big fan so...
i checked to see if it spins ok and i found that it did but for some reason the graphic card was hot enough to bake an egg on it.
so i took it out and conencted the vga cable to the on-board graphic card and since then no problem. tomorrow i will get me a pair of 9mm fans and put them to circulate the air in my box.
hope it helps you guys

Ask a Question