Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
I fixed my Windows 7 freeze finally... READ!

One thing I didn't see anyone try was to tell the NIC to not ever, ever go to sleep.

Go to Network & Sharing Center-->Change Adapter Settings-->rightclick Properties-->Configure--> Power Management and uncheck all boxes.

Hope it works.
My Windows kept freezing about every 3 or 4 minutes. I tried many fixes, including replacing hardware, video card. This is the one thing that actually worked! It was a simple matter of an adjustment.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Being subscribed to this thread I have now been made aware of a hotfix, I would have not known about this otherwise. Just throwing that out there. This thread is not closed.
Unfortunately there can be many causes to freezing and that is why there are so many solutions that work for some and not for others.

Make sure you are not infected with malware (virus/keyloggers/etc).

Make sure you have the latest drivers.

You should be running W7 Service Pack 1 which included a hotfix for some known issues.

For custom built machines it is very often RAM incompatibility or voltage/timing settings and generally accompanied by BSODs so verify you have the right memory and settings.

Sometimes it may be as simple as setting the power options to maximum performance and disabling options like "allow the HD to sleep/hibernate".

ALL AV software will slow the machine to some extent but they vary greatly and what seems to slow one machine works pretty well on another so you may need to try different Antivirus software. And of course if you HAVE a virus that can slow things down or even stop or trash your machine so running without AV is not a valid solution.

If you have done all this and still have a issue please start a new thread. Tell us about your system, your issues, and what you have tried so far.

If you think you have a new solution then it's OK to post it here.

Reaction score
I had same issue. After updating drivers, my laptop stopped freezing.
I went to Intel support and downloaded missing driver for motherboard (in my case was RAID driver)

After that it never freezes.

Reaction score
I bought my Compaq PC in January and have been having problems with it ever since. For me, the random freezing will happen several times for 2-3 days, but will the disappear for 4-5 weeks (mostly). Usually comes back a few days after updates are installed. Sometimes it will be on 10 hours before freezing, other time it can be 5 minutes. Sometimes I will have lots of programmes open, other times there will be none. If the computer freezes while I am deleting something, it will freeze every time I try to delete that file again. If it freezes during a game, it will freeze when I reach that exact point again (I only play football manage, so I can usually just 'go on holiday' past the freezing point). If it freezes during a scan it will freeze every time I try it again.
This time, the freezing has lasted longer and is happening more frequently. When it freezes nothing works at all. The mouse won't move, the clock stays the same, no amount of button pressing will make anything happen, it has to be switched off completely. I've searched through google for solutions and have found many threads with hundreds of pages, but nothing I've tried has worked. I've found posts saying that Microsoft have refused to ackowledge the problem, other posts saying they released a hotfix, and even other posts saying that downloading the hotfix will mess your computer up more if your not having the exact problem the hotfix is designed for :confused:

>> According to the information that accompanies the hotfix, all customers running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 will be getting the fix with Service Pack 1 (SP1). <<

I have service pack 1 installed, so if the hotfix would work for me it should already have stopped, correct? Would it be worth downloading the hotfix on it's own, or would it make things worse? I really don't know too much about computers, so.....

I really don't know if I'm asking for help or just sharing my experience with this problem, but I've really exhausted myself over the last 10 months in trying to find a solution. I really have no idea what to do with it. I can't afford a new computer and can't really use this one for anything important, so if anyone can offer any help, great, if not, I hope at least that my description can maybe offer help to someone in trying to find a solution.

Reaction score
First of all thanks for your post. The freezing on my computer isn't as serious as the way you describe yours.

The first thing that comes to mind. Have you checked your RAM timings? It might be a problem to do with RAM. Second, have you checked your advanced sleep functions? Third, Have you checked your graphics card? I realise you might have checked all off these already but am asking anyway.

If Microsoft has tried to fix this with SP1 then it hasn't worked since I have SP1 installed!! After all this time of getting this this problem of freezing I do believe it is a Microsoft WIN7 software problem. I didn't have this problem with XP or even Vista. Up to now I have tried all sorts of things to fix this problem but haven't quite cured it. I believe it is a Microsoft problem which hasn't been fixed yet!!!

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The hotfix was for one specific possibility and it was included in SP1 so if you have SP1 and are still having problems then that is not your specific issue so No, do NOT download the hotfix if you already have SP1, instead look for other causes. See my post 3 posts above this one for the most common causes.

If you think you have exhausted all those possibilities then START A NEW THREAD. Tell us what you have tried (or we will just repeat that list until you DO say you have tried them and include your computer specifications.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hello,
I read your post and really you have done a great job, here is the best way to WINDOWS VISTA LAG but i have something to recommend you to same problem of WINDOWS VISTA LAG , someone recommend me to visit http://ezinearticles.com/?Vista-Lags---Learn-an-Easy-Windows-Vista-Lag-Fix&id=4970767 this site when i visit this it attract me and i get this from this site its really good for my PC. Hope it works for you.
Thanks

Reaction score
this is a know issue that microsoft have a hotfix they can email you when you click on the hotfix download at the top of the hotfix page

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2265716

Expand all | Collapse all

SYMPTOMSA computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 with System Cente...

A computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 with System Center Operations Manager (SCOM) and a large number of GPOs (Group Policies) running a service that calls for Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS) starts and then hangs after a short time and becomes unresponsive. The computer will return Pings but all other applications or services that are running on the computer stop working. Additionally, you cannot log on to the computer by using the remote desktop connection utility. Back to the top

CAUSEThis issue occurs because of heavy group policy use and the presence of SCOM cau...

This issue occurs because of heavy group policy use and the presence of SCOM causing a deadlock condition between the Lsass.exe process, the Redirected Drive Buffering Subsystem (Rdbss.sys) driver, and the Winsock kernel.Back to the top

RESOLUTIONHotfix information A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this...

Hotfix information

A supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.

If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.

Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support (http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support)
Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.Prerequisites

To apply this hotfix, your computer must be running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7.Restart requirement

Reaction score
The hot fix mentioned above is still in its beta format and has not been tested fully.

I have the problem with win 7 freezing randomly which is what the hot fix is designed to fix.

I tried downloading these hotfixes (both x86 and x64 versions for Win 7) and got the error message saying incompatibility with my operating system. Clearly there is something wrong.

Can anyone help please or know about this problem?

Nevica

Last edited:
Reaction score
One solution to some freezes

Hello, i have windows7 anf i have been geting freezes for diferent reasons. Generaly when diferent server tecnologys are installed to the same time, the system freezes radomly, for example, Netbeans install GlassFish server and i have TomCat server previosly, then the systen freeze radomley. Additionaly, with database servers is the same, i have MySQL with microsof sql servers in the past, till i quit one, radomly freezes occurs. And one more, with the MySQL connector installation for C# i get radomly freezes too.
Coclusions:
I you get radomly freezes, look for sever, database an connectors and unistall all, the try to instas one by one for know who crash.

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.

The only way I could cure this was to erase everything, reformat the hard drive and reinstall the programs. I couldn't find the error causing software.

Reaction score
Hello Brickman,

Can you explain the specific problem you where having? ie when was the computer freezing? How did you restore?

etc,

thanks,

Nevica

Reaction score
The cursor stopped or diisapeared after every few letters. It was very annoying to say the least. There were some unusal sentences.

I just erased and re-forematted the disk and then installed Win7 and all of the other programs.

Reaction score
Ok, It looks like you had a different problem to me. My desktop freezes occasionally.Ie, I cannot use the mouse or keyboard. It is a literal freeze of everything. The only way to get the computer working is to press the restart button on the front panel of the computer or unplug and start up that way.

As I've said in many posts before this I have been trying to fix this for about 10 months now and tried numerous things!!! (too long to list here).

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you are comfortable with performing a fresh install then it can solve a lot of issues (registry problems, driver issues, etc) but a reinstall cannot fix hardware issues such as improperly set or mismatched RAM errors, overclocking troubles, or shorting USB cables.

Reaction score
Aside from problems caused by issues as descrfibed by Trainable Man. I found that the only way is to start over and load each program and see how the computer respomds. It is not an easy way but surefire.

Reaction score
I have solve another freeze reason, unistalling all packages from microsoft that aren't very very important. Specially all the redistributables (for example Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 redistributable, etc) i only haven't uninstall the .net framewor. There are collateral problems, after that my windows 7 ultimate not freeze but microsoft office and acrobat 8.0 not work :(, i need to reinstall.
(Unisntall all from microsoft)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Visual C++ Redristributable's are merely subroutines which programs can call to run standardized routines like scroll menus, etc and should have no effect on freezing. On the other hand .NET upgrades can and do cause up to 24 hours of updating in the background at low priority; I have had numerous problems just getting .NET upgrades to finish the standard install (even before the background processing begins) so I have found it best to install these updates individually.

Reaction score
Visual C++ Redristributable's are merely subroutines which programs can call to run standardized routines like scroll menus, etc and should have no effect on freezing. On the other hand .NET upgrades can and do cause up to 24 hours of updating in the background at low priority; I have had numerous problems just getting .NET upgrades to finish the standard install (even before the background processing begins) so I have found it best to install these updates individually.
Perhaps, but i have quit all thad and other packages from microsoft (any program and any windows update, only dynamic librarys, frameworks, redistribitables etc from microsoft, all listed in the uninstall list) and no more freezes. I only have now the windows actualizations and programas that i have install, Ofcorse some of this programs need the microsoft packages for run correctly but i can now install they manually. I dont know the exact package that have solve the probles but the problem is solves :)
(Sorry before i have asked to miself)

Reaction score
I have attached the list of programs in my windows 7, only that from microsoft:
Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2 Microsoft Corporation 11/09/2011 93,2 MB 2.0.7045
Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5 Microsoft Corporation 11/09/2011 81,5 MB 3.5.7283
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Microsoft Corporation 28/06/2010 38,8 MB 4.0.30319
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Microsoft Corporation 13/01/2011 14.0.4763.1000
Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 (7.0) Microsoft Corporation 04/03/2010 7.0.7600.16385.40715

and no windows live and esential and all that f..... packets

Attachments

Ask a Question