Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
I checked the downloaded file, it's definitely 77.6MB. I downloaded it again to a different folder and still took about10secs.

I might wait a few days to see if the freezing has stopped before I update the driver.

Thanks for the tip.

Will update my progress. You've been a great help.

EDIT: I was just on hotmail and it froze. Mouse wouldn't move so I had to hit the reset button. Think I'm going to install that video drive now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi People!

Ive been reading allthrough most of all the posts in here (About 600!)..

And i still havent found the right soloution for my pc..

It freezes all the time randomly, sometimes after 2 minuttes, sometimes after 3 hours... sometimes it even freezes during startup in the boot screen!

Ive Reinstalled Windows 2 times, which was a bit of a problem, since it actually freezed during reinstallment, and during the HP Setup Start Menu..
Ive also tried to update the drivers manully from HP Support Driver Site, both, Graphic, BIOS, Wireless adapter and HDD driver.. Didnt work out. then i disabled my wireless lan adapter which didnt help either.

I Havent had this problem before, and im having difficulties, locating where the problem should be found.. Im not that Handy with computers..

If i dont fix this problem soon, imma throw my computer out in the snow, to show how it is to freeze for real o_O IM FEED UP WITH IT

My Equipment is as follows:

HP DV6 Pavilion 2170EO

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
6 GB DDR3 Ram
Nvidea GT 230 with 1GB Memory
Intel Core I7-720QM . 1,60 Ghz

Reaction score
win 7 freezing

Im having the same problem on my Windows 7 64 bit Computer.
It just freezes at random.

My PC spec is:
Processor: Intel i7 950 @ 3.07ghz
Ram: 12.0GB 1600 mhz DDR3
Main drive: 64 GB solid state drive
Secondary drive: 1 TB
Thrid Drive: 1 TB
Video: 1 GB ATI Radeon HD 4500

I have tried the fixes found earlier in this thread changing the settings for power management and performance, I have also updated the video drivers, but the system is still randomly crashing.
Where do I start?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The follow up on my post about 8 hours ago -

Im having troubles thinking if this is actually a hardware error, since the error still is active after the reinstallment of Win7. That shouldnt be posible.. Afterall i did have the pc for 4 months, before this error showed up. so it has been working before, so if the issue is a Win7 Update, why is the error still active after reinstallment?

Btw. My pc has been running flawless for all thoose 8 hours now.. crossing my fingers that it might work.. All i did was to update the Nvidea Graphic driver in safe mode to the newest from nvideas homepage.

But im not saying that i fixed the problem.. it has to run flawless for more than a week before i beleive in it

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with this too. My screen will freeze in place but I'll be able to move my cursor without anything responding or even being able to left or right click. Shortly after the cursor will freeze too. I got an AMD 3.0 ghz x 4 phenom processor and an GeForce gt 460 GPU. I have 4gb ram. This computer cost me WAY too much for it to be a paperweight. I'm at my wits end and I have a hammer. It may not be a paperweight just yet but frustration only goes so far before I make it so. Please someone help me.

Reaction score
I have tried removing AVG 2011, and have instead installed Microsoft Security Essentials, 64 bit version for Win 7.

Im now waiting to see if the system crashes again or not...

My PC spec is:
Processor: Intel i7 950 @ 3.07ghz
Ram: 12.0GB 1600 mhz DDR3
Main drive: 64 GB solid state drive
Secondary drive: 1 TB
Thrid Drive: 1 TB
Video: 1 GB ATI Radeon HD 4500

Reaction score
Ok I was hoping that the problem may have been resolved, but my system has just frozen again. Sometimes it suddenly freezes dead, other times it allows you to move the mouse and click on things but the dont respont, then eventually the mouse stops responsding to and I have to forse a reboot by pressing the reset button the the PC.

Can anyone suggest any thing else to try please?

Reaction score
Okay. So First of all ill let you know that my computer was running smoothly for almost a whole day now.. allthough after i installed W7 Updates, it crashed shortly after.. Im writing this rather fast in case ill end up with another freeze, So to remind you that this isnt a tested soloution yet, rather an idea.. I recovered my system back in time, to the time before the updates. and now testing if its going to crash..

If not, its a indicator that the updates may be the reason for the freezes, so here are the following updates i installed shortly before the freeze up..

Update Microsoft Silver Light (KB2416427)
Saftey Update for Visual C++ 2005 Serivce Pack (KB982670)
Update for Office 2007 SP2
Random Updates for Office 2007 (KB967642, KB963673, KB963678, KB963670, KB963669, KB963665)
Safty Update to Office (KB951550, KB951944)
Update to Microsoft Script Editor Help (KB963671)

Im not even sure if this will help any. but ill test my system without installing theese updates, to see if i have any luck..

Reaction score
As far as im concerned the update for Microsoft Visual C++. Is rather suspecios. Because its an update prevented virus attacks on that remote system. - But as i said earlier, im thinking more likly, that with that particular update, is it posible that its making troubles with Norton? Because after i recovered the system, Norton was "Deactivated".. which i found kinda strange.. - Btw havent had any freezes since last post about 30 minuttes ago.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As this thread is over 60 pages long, it's getting quite hard to follow the problem - as the cause for each individual freeze may be different. It may be best if you guys start a new thread in the support section with all the details in your individual cases.

I was going to move the posts in here to new threads, but they are so interwoven that it's not possible. :)

Reaction score
Alternative (MS) for Windows 7 freezing

I just joined to offer this solution which worked for me after I read this thread for hours and no suggestions helped:

MS Hotfix for random crashes:

Post moved HERE.

MOD NOTE: This post and it's discussion have been given it's own thread. Currently this is a Beta fix from Microsoft but if you have exhausted all the other ideas it may be worth checking out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
As this thread is over 60 pages long, it's getting quite hard to follow the problem - as the cause for each individual freeze may be different. It may be best if you guys start a new thread in the support section with all the details in your individual cases.

I was going to move the posts in here to new threads, but they are so interwoven that it's not possible. :)
Well, 5 months ago back on Page 43 I said,
I think this thread should be closed. There are too many causes of Windows freezing and too many different hardware configurations. My point is almost every case is different and should be handled as separate problems.
By keeping this thread open, it has encouraged new posters to, in effect, hijack the thread. Actually, I have intentionally avoided this thread because it was a jumbled mess. I hope now it is closed and new posters reporting freezing problems will start a new thread for their own problems with their own unique hardware.

Reaction score
Digerati I understand there are a few of you who do not like this large thread. Being subscribed to this thread I have now been made aware of a hotfix, I would have not known about this otherwise. Just throwing that out there. This thread is not closed.

Reaction score
rma'd cpu, motherboard, memory sticks and new harddrive and videocard later...the problem was solved by microsoft service pack 1. how long are they going to continue pulling this kind of crap before people stop paying them? oh wait, they can't. they have a monopoly on operating systems. ****ing sickening the state of the software industry today. pull all kinds of crap to get us buying your junk, but when it comes to fixing critical problems...nope. lets wait almost a year before touching it.

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
johncage said:
rma'd cpu, motherboard, memory sticks and new harddrive and videocard later...the problem was solved by microsoft service pack 1. how long are they going to continue pulling this kind of crap before people stop paying them? oh wait, they can't. they have a monopoly on operating systems. ****ing sickening the state of the software industry today. pull all kinds of crap to get us buying your junk, but when it comes to fixing critical problems...nope. lets wait almost a year before touching it.
I don't think you have a realistic view on the real world. For one, there are free, fully capable alternatives. So the monopoly excuse is totally baseless. And since SP1 was NOT designed or intended to fix a broken Windows, the fact installing it fixed your problem just indicates you had a problem before - it is no indication on SP1 or MS.

Jimmy_Banana said:
Johncage, think yourself lucky - Service pack 1 did nothing for me!
As would be expected for most users who are diligent at keeping their systems current.

Reaction score
windows 7 freeze ups

Hi I love my windows 7 laptop but it locks up and is a pain to refresh all the time. the only way I get out of it is to hit control + ALT and delete at the same time

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it accepts ctrl+alt+del then it is running but it may be slow or a particular application is not functioning properly. When you do ctrl+alt+del what process do you cancel or do you do a reboot or what?

Ask a Question