Problems with Windows 7 Pro Explorer

Reaction score
I have issues with Windows Explorer (not the Internet Explorer) in Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I am copying pix files (jpeg) from Cd-s to a memory stick.
In the Navigation Pane when I click (or right click) on a folder or a subfolder: error message: "Windows Explorer stopped working, checking for solution to the problem, W Explorer is restarting" and it does. It is not only annoying but I can not work with he folders in the Navigation Pane. Now if I transfer the whole main folder to the Library Pane, I can open the subfolders and work with them, but can not create a subfolder.
Another question: When copying those jpeg files and working with them Photo Gallery keeps those files and when I try in the Explorer, for example, delete them, it does not allow it saying they are in an other program. I can go to Photo Library but can only erase one at a time and when I have dozens or even hundreds, it is a pain.. So: how can I prevent Photo Library to keep those files, and if not, how can I group erase them.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The second part of your question is easiest so I'll answer that first. Download and install a tool called Unlocker (One of the recommended products in our Freeware DB). When you have a file that refuses to delete, right-click and choose unlocker from the context menu, in the window "unlock all" if any locking handles that are found, and then choose Delete as the action.

As for the first part, my best guess is OS corruption. If you have a W7 Installation DVD I suggest you boot to it and at the installation menu run "System Repair" (in lower corner). If you don't have an installation DVD you could simply try "SFC /SCANNOW" (no quotes) from a DOS/Command Prompt.

Reaction score
Thanks; Funny, I have Unlocker, I used it in the past. But right-clicking Unlocker does not appear in the drop down window (context menu).
I will try thr DOS/PROMPT

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well even if unlocker isn't available in your context menu you can always start it from the start menu or from search. And if you uninstall and reinstall it may fix your context menu.

Reaction score
Tried Dos Prompt SFC/Scannow, it repaired a couple of problems, but the original complaint (clicking on the item in the Navigation Pane gives error message) is still there.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If your context menu doesn't work right (unlocker missing) and programs aren't linked properly, then there is a pretty good chance your registry is corrupted. If this is just a recent issue then you could try restoring to an old restore point prior to the issue. But if that isn't possible then try creating a brand new user, then test things over there and if it works, move all your data and start using the new logonid; after a week or so when you are sure you got all your data/contacts/bookmarks etc you can delete the old ID.

If it will not work even under a new UserID then you are probably looking at extracting your product key, backing up all your data & settings to an external drive and then completely reinstalling Windows 7 & your programs.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I was reading some more and it could also be your video driver or a virus, etc. So before creating a new ID, why not run a complete virus scan and then update your video driver. Microsoft KB2694911

Another moderator also mentioned that SFC created a log file (CBS.log) that might give more information so you could zip up and attach that to your next post. Microsoft KB928228

Ask a Question