Problems with Windows 7 Home Premium

Reaction score
I recently tried to do an "Anytime Upgrade" to Windows 7 Professional from Home Premium, but it failed during the reboot when it was trying to reconfigure windows. I contacted MS Support and they have been trying to fix the problem for two days, with no success. During their work, they realized that Windows Updates has also stopped working and that my Windows Firewall is not on and the system won't let me turn it on.

The computer manufacturer and MS did work on my PC several months ago when a new printer wouldn't install, so I imagine some of these issues may have been changed settings from then.

Any thoughts or ideas, short of having to copy all my drivers, programs and files, to repair Windows 7 Home Premium so it works properly again and so I can complete the upgrade to Windows 7 Pro?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
With that many issues I would just reinstall W7 Home Premium. If you have recovery/restore DVDs or a Hard drive recovery partition you can reinstall from those. Otherwise you can download W7 Home Premium SP1 from links HERE.

Hopefully you have an external drive and can back up all your data. An easy way to do that is with the built-in Windows Easy Transfer utility. Gather all your product keys and programs disks because after you install W7 you need to reinstall all your programs (additional browsers, office applications, photo editors, etc). Be sure you have everything you need before you format and reinstall.

Reaction score
Update

I saw some other posts on the forum and decided to try installing the updates one at a time. I was successful with two of them, but the 3rd ... update KB2592687 is still not installing properly, even when I tried doing it from the MS site rather than through my Windows Update.

A little progress ...

Thanks for the response but unfortunately I do not have a back-up drive. Not feeling comfortable doing all that correctly anyway, I would have to take it somewhere and have it done for me, which is more cost, in addition to the upgrade I already purchased, which I really can't afford.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well there is a Microsoft Fixit tool for Windows updates which you could try and see if that allows you to get your upates. It is offered when you go >>HERE<<. See if that helps.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help but already ran Fixit and it says everything is fine.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you run System File Checker?
sfc /scannow

Ask a Question