Several windows 7 problems

Reaction score
I've recently been experiencing flickering issues (screen, tabs)...Outlook messages closing on their own, Now whatever is causing this is also affecting my ability to click on tabbed items or right click an item. Other weird things happen, like type an exclamation point and it brings up Google Chrome task manager!!! Tried to restore from a previous point but wasn't able to because I defragmented disk. Then as I tried to restart my laptop, it wasn't able to boot unless I pressed F8 and selected "start windows normally". Booted in safe mode and problems persist. Tried repairing computer, still having this problem. Please help!!!

Reaction score
Before I start, one clarification...... disk defrag does NOT erase your restore points unless you were using a 3rd party defrag program that has option to erase restore points.
The native Win 7 Disk Cleanup application does have an option to erase all restore points except the most current one.
Disk cleanup and disk defrag are 2 different animals.

As to your issues, suggestions only.......
Go to your computer manufacturer website, and check for updates to your drivers.
Go to Safe Mode with Command Prompt and do the followings......
1. Do a full virus scan. Make sure your machine is clean.
2. Do a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Reaction score
I've recently been experiencing flickering issues (screen, tabs)...Outlook messages closing on their own, Now whatever is causing this is also affecting my ability to click on tabbed items or right click an item. Other weird things happen, like type an exclamation point and it brings up Google Chrome task manager!!! Tried to restore from a previous point but wasn't able to because I defragmented disk. Then as I tried to restart my laptop, it wasn't able to boot unless I pressed F8 and selected "start windows normally". Booted in safe mode and problems persist. Tried repairing computer, still having this problem. Please help!!!
Erratic operation often points to power supply problems. Specifically, electrolytic capacitors dry out over time and become defective. There was a period of time where defective electrolytic caps were being manufactured from a stolen formula that was incorrect. For more information, please check these links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/blog/2010/jun/29/dell-problems-capacitors

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It could also be as simple as a hardware problem with your mouse or your keyboard. For instance if the computer thinks your Esc, tab, or backspace keys are being pressed it would cause odd window/tabs behavior as could a stuck mouse button. Try a different keyboard and/or mouse to see if that fixes things.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hi,

At a real basic level, because we don't know if you have a laptop or a desktop computer. Flickering can be caused, by what people have already suggested OR as simple as the monitor cable not plugged in correctly.

As for the keyboard issue. You could have another keyboard set. For example a UK keyboard but you are using a US keyboard.

Hope this helps.

Ask a Question