SOLVED Problems In Windows XP

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe your mum's hard drive has failed. There are two ways very different ways a hard drive can fail. One is a mechanical failure of the moving parts, usually the seek arm gets jammed and won't move (common when dropped). The other is when the information gets corrupted, usually bad sectors where info are stored loose their magnetism and when this happens in very important places like the FAT table then all references to the beginning of the files are lost.

There are programs out there that can recover data in the second case. None of them free that I know of but cheaper than taking it to a computer shop to have it done. But you need to be on a working computer to run the software and you have to have the damaged drive hooked up. So with a dock you could connect your mother's HD to your laptop and then you need the software.

I have used an older version of the recovery product from Stellar Phoenix that saved me years ago. What is nice about their software is that it will show you what it can recover so you know before you buy whether it will be worth it to you.

So if your uncle has a dock or a way to plug the old drive into his motherboard, or if you buy a dock, then you might use Stellar Phoenix and see if it can get the data for you.

I'm afraid nothing is guaranteed but may well be worth a few Quid to try a dock and then if the software can see the files it may be worth it to buy the software to extract them.

So check with your uncle and see if he already has a dock or something. Slim chance he has any HD recovery software (unless he ever had need of it himself in the past) but you can ask.

Reaction score
my mum just said that there is not point in getting it fixed as she has found a backup of the files. and also its an old pc so something else will probaly die once that is fixed. Thanks for all your help! sorry a bout the fact that my mum changed her mind :(

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's easier to make a sound decision when you have the best information so hopefully we helped in that respect.

I'm glad she found a back-up of her data as that is usually what is the most important thing.

Reaction score
you, as always helped great! Thank You for all your help windows 7 forums!

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate, if you think that the problem is resolved, could you please mark the the thread as Solved.

Thank you.

Ask a Question