Computer opens at start ?

J.T

Reaction score
When I start my PC the folder Computer opens minimised and shows in the Task Bar, is this meant to happen ?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No it is not supposed to do that. Right-click on the "Computer" icon in the taskbar and select the "Unpin From Taskbar" option. It should disappear then.

If you want it back on the Desktop instead, go to the Start Orb and select the Computer listing and right-click on it and checkmark the "Show On Desktop" option.

Reactions: J.T

J.T

Reaction score
Thank you Nibiru2012 :) I will do that.

JT x

J.T

Reaction score
Er it come back :confused: I took a pic of it

When I put my cursor on it I get a little window open that says Computer, sorry if I did not explain very well in my first post.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's your Windows Explorer folder which is part of libraries. It loads as a default of Windows 7.

Why is is bothering you or something?

J.T

Reaction score
That's your Windows Explorer folder which is part of libraries. It loads as a default of Windows 7.

Why is is bothering you or something?
Yes because that means one of my library folders (Computer) is opening at start when its not meant to.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
As Nibs said, that is a shortcut to windows explorer and the libraries.

If you want a plain view like this, click on Organize>Layout and un-check all the options particularly the Navigation option.

Attachments

J.T

Reaction score
Hi yodap, yes understand the view but I have Computer folder opening minimised in explorer at each startup, first pic at startup second pic (after I manually close Computer) so my question is why is Computer opening at start and can I stop this from happening ?. My Brother has Windows 7 and Computer folder does not open upon his startup.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I misunderstood the problem. I'll search some things and see what I can find.

Reaction score
Hi J.T.

There are a couple of things you can check.

Look for anything in the startup folder first. Anything listed in this folder will load at startup, hence the name of the folder.
Start Menu >> Programs >> Startup

Type "msconfig.exe" in the Search or Run box, either one will start "System Configuration". Look under the startup tab for anything suspicious. If you wish, you can always disable all of them and then see if Explorer is still loading at startup. You can always enable them again later.
MSConfig_Startup.png

Here is a program that will let you see startup entries and where they are starting from. This should help you find what exactly is loading Explorer.
Startup Control Panel
StartupCPL.png

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
unpin.jpg
Are you saying that even after you right-click and select "unpin it from taskbar", that it comes back when you log back in again?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
TM, I believe she is saying (in her 3rd post in this thread) that when she boots up It appears that it has already been opened then minimized. When she mouses over it, the computer folder is open instead of the libraries folder.

Something like this. So why is the computer folder open and not the network or library folder or any other folder for that matter? I don't think she want's to get rid of it completely.

And J.T forgive me if you are not female. I assume so because of the avatar.

Attachments

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I personally modified mine to open to computer rather than libraries. For me it is the lesser of two evils since I can no longer use my desired option of "open to last folder".

First, unpin your current WinExplorer from the Task Bar.

Next you will need to be an administrator.

Now, if you go to start orb ... All programs ... click accessories ... right-click on Windows Explorer ... select properties ... in the properties window select the shortcut tab. What does it say in Target? Is it "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n, /e, /select, C:\" ? This is the shortcut to make it open to computer rather than libraries. Edit it to just ""%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" and apply. (If it was already set to this then perhaps the one on the task bar was linked to a different shortcut so simply follow the next step using this shortcut as your link and see if it works.)

Then go back to Windows Explorer ... right-click and select Pin to Task Bar.

Now try it. If it still doesn't work please let us know. If it does work then please mark the thread solved :)

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Good post TM!

Maybe screwing with it will make it stop appearing as minimized at start up too.:dontknow:

Reaction score
Am I completely misunderstanding the question?

I'm reading that Explorer opens a computer folder each time Windows boots up. If this is correct then pinning, unpinning, and the difference between Computer and Libraries are not relevant.

Reaction score
I use the Vista/XP style quick launch and do not have anything pinned to the taskbar.

That is actually the one single change in Windows 7 that I do not like, heh heh.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
To have the explorer window(s) open at start ...
In WinExplorer choose Organize ... Folder and Search Options ... select the view tab ... check "Restore previous folder windows at logon".

Then make sure the window is open when you shut down.

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I use the Vista/XP style quick launch and do not have anything pinned to the taskbar.
I actually do both. I have 10 quick launch buttons but I have one pinned to task bar for winexplorer.

Clifford, I don't know for sure. Hopefully she comes back tomorrow to clear things up.

Is the problem that WinExplorer is pinned to task bar on restart and she doesn't want that? Or is it that WinExplorer open to "Computer" rather than libraries? Or is it something else. The photo she is showing is definitely WinExplorer pinned but closed.

J.T

Reaction score
Hi :) I dropped by an hour ago and ...

Yes Im a woman yodap :)

I downloaded Startup Control Panel and looked in all the tabs but Computer was not in there.

I changed the target
From
To
and Computer still loads at startup ?

But I have found Computer in Task Manager

My Brother built this Desktop PC its powerful and runs great but he is in the Forces and away from home ATM so I cant ask him how he made Computer to open at startup.

Are you saying that even after you right-click and select "unpin it from taskbar", that it comes back when you log back in again?
Yes it does.

Ask a Question