Computer hangs on POST screen - after power outage

Reaction score
I have had four brief (30 seconds) power outages in the last six weeks; the first three didn't cause any problems but the last one , on Friday night, did. (And typical sod's law, I was waiting for a new battery to be delivered for my 3 year old UPS!).

When I tried booting the computer after the power came back on it displayed the initial startup screen - and then just hung there.- NO LED activity although all the fans were running and an LED was alight on the GPU; no beeps (I even tried with NO RAM in place, still no beeps).. Eventually, after at least a minute the initial screen vanished (no keys worked during this time) leaving the screen black. And just a light touch on the on/off button would turn the computer off. I tried several times, leaving it for several minutes each time. same result every time.

So I opened up the cabinet, took out the memory (RAM) modules and the GPU, cleaned the contacts and replaced them and wiggled all the connections. No change, so I then disconnected all the USBs in the back of the computer: THEN I got some life. It's now working again BUT
it still hangs for a much longer time on the initial startup screen than it should do, and as it used to do - at least one minute, during which time the LED doesn't flash at all, and then the initial screen goes and immediately the LED starts flashing as it loads Windows.

I have 2 questions:
1. What is the power outage likely to have done to cause this?
2. Do you think that clearing the CMOS (by, for example, removing the mobo button battery and replacing it) might reset it to effect a cure?

Computer is a desktop which I built about 4 years ago: Windows 7 64-bit; Intel Core i5 3550 3.3Ghz – Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV – 8GB DDR3 RAM 1333 MHz; GPU nVidia GTX 760. It's on for about 18 hours a day.

Thank you.

Ask a Question