Computer opens at start ?

J.T

Reaction score
Tried %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar and it only shows what ment to be there.

There is no reference to it in Startup Folder.

But - Computer Folder/ Explorer does not load in Safe Mode (I just tried it)

Reaction score
You can try creating a new account. Login as a different user. I know this is not a solution but may lead to one.

Reactions: J.T

J.T

Reaction score
Thats a good idea Clifford, Thank you I will try that now :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think it's still best to try to analyse the problem, find the source and then find the solution.
FC, I'm gonna strip you of your medals and light your tail on fire! This IS analyzing the problem.

JT, I think you were typing when mine posted 45 minutes ago - please try that. This is the location where YOUR choices are stored but there is another location where taskbar shortcuts can be stored: the defaults for all users. Your personal settings should override them but I believe maybe your person settings are not telling the system that you do not want Windows Explorer in the task bar. I would like to try to fix your settings (which I am hoping deleting desktop.ini will do) but if that doesn't work then it may be worth actually removing it from the default location.

I will turn on the light, stab FC in the rear, and rephrase, It's not a stab in the dark, I am looking for something...
If Clifford's idea of creating a new account allows you to unpin and it doesn't return then it is definitely your settings but the trick is to find them. desktop.ini as far as I know maintains an ordering but I don't know it can suppress entries, this may be a registry thing, but as I suggested it is worth a try. On the other hand, if FireCat's idea to boot in safe mode makes the icon go away under your ID then it would seem to be a program/application in your start-up.

Last edited:

J.T

Reaction score
Making another account did not solve the problem, but in Safe Mode explorer did not load the Computer File.

OK TrainableMan step by step please (open what and paste what were please) its getting a bit confusing trying all different things :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Disregard mine for a moment please, what you just said makes me think (oh why is God being so cruel :p ) that FC may be on to something ...

Let's look at what you did so far please.

When you created a new account, you then logged in under that ID and unpinned WinExplorer from the taskbar and then logged back in to the new ID and the WinExplorer was back?

And when you log in to YOUR account OR the new account in Safe Mode then WinExplorer doesn't load to the taskbar?

J.T

Reaction score
When you created a new account, you then logged in under that ID and unpinned WinExplorer from the taskbar and then logged back in to the new ID and the WinExplorer was back?
- Yes it was back.

And when you log in to YOUR account OR the new account in Safe Mode then WinExplorer doesn't load to the taskbar?
- No it does not load then.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then we are back to it being a program or batch script that is started when you logon. This is what we were looking for in the RUN and RUNONCE sections of the registry but when you said they were empty I went another route (so we will table that for now).

The run and runonce start applications when you logon but if you start up in safe mode they are not run, which I believe was why FC wanted you to try it.

Could you go to start's search and type msconfig.exe and run it. Select the startup tab. Now the window is annoyingly small and can't be maximised but if you could shrink Manufacturer and expand Command and start-up item columns and then show us some screenshots of the various programs loaded we might be able to offer an idea of what to disable to see if we can get rid of WinExplorer in the taskbar.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you run msconfig.exe it opens like ...
mscon1.jpg
which is basically unreadable but you can expand/contract the columns just like in Windows Explorer or in Excel to make it more like ...
mscon2.jpg
so we can actually see the full path of each item.

J.T

Reaction score
My msconfig looks like your first shot, so how do I expand like your second shot ?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Position your mouse pointer on the tab seperator in the top bar and drag it wider

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is exactly the same way you resize the columns in Windows Explorer. With your mouse, go up to the top where the column titles are and move the mouse till you see a line with arrows pointing left and right; then left-click and hold while dragging left or right and release when spaced as you want.

J.T

Reaction score
There is only one entry from Microsoft and thats the side bar, nothing from Explorer or Library's.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Could you type winver in the start box and post the result?

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
FC, I'm gonna strip you of your medals and light your tail on fire!
Um... Read on.

Making another account did not solve the problem, but in Safe Mode explorer did not load the Computer File.
FC may be on to something ...
Never underestimate the mind of a cat with medals! :D

Anyway, do please post a screenshot of msconfig. That'll enable us to see what commands are run on startup. If we know the command, we know the source...

Edit: I see you allready have. Sorry...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Libraries are simply a grouping of pointers to existing folders.

Please post everything from msconfig, it may not be Microsoft.

But I'm also curious, what is in your sidebar?

And FC, there actually is a medal for animals, the dicken medal. The medal has been awarded 63 times but only once to a cat, and IT WASN'T YOU.

Last edited:

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Um... Can you disable your AV and reboot please? Also disable the canon thingy.

ARG! You have Samsung PC Studio! :O Last time I used that, my computer BSODed! :D

Ask a Question