Computer opens at start ?

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of would be the Task Scheduler.
You might check and see if anything there might be loading at startup.

Reactions: J.T

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I noticed you mentioned the other things but did you "unpin" it from the task bar?

Reaction score
Yes I did right click and unpin but when Windows loads it repins its self
WOW - Thats a strange one. :/

I wonder if this maybe a permission problem, one that corrects itself upon rebooting because the machine thinks you don't have full permission to change things.

What level do you have the User Account Control (UAC) set too?
Personally I hate this feature and often even forget it is a feature because I turn it off.

J.T

Reaction score
Hiya Clifford

UAC is off - coz it does my head in :), also I have Win Patrol and Computer is not showing in that ?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you run regedit
Locate HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Adjust the columns on the right so I can read the Name and Data and then take a screenshot and post it.

I'm at a loss and hoping to see something there worth checking out.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Open regedit and look under HKLM - Software - Microsoft - Windows - Current version.
Look in "Run" and Runonce" and see if you have an entry there for "Explorer.exe"
If you have, first export the key (You may need it back again, if it does not work1) or, even better, export or backup the whole registry.
Then delete the key and reboot.

J.T

Reaction score
There is no reference to Explorer.exe in Run or Runonce in regedit but I found this..

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That is basically a placeholder, it won't hurt/do anything so that isn't it. I will keep thinking.

BTW, if you hit the "post reply" button just above and left of the quick reply window you will get more advanced reply options. Then you can hit the little paperclip button and upload pics to this website rather than having to send them to photobucket and then coming here to link to them from the quick reply window.

Also, regarding your avatar, I've heard of having a good head on your shoulders but I suppose those shotguns could be effective as well; I'm thinking one well-placed blast to your computer may remove your problem completely :p

Last edited:

J.T

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice TrainableMan :)

Looking at your name your unique ...... most guys are very hard to train :girlshit::D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Whip me, beat me, make me write bad checks ;)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Back to basics.( I'm referring to the first post1)
Have you look under the starat menu - startup folder?. Programs placed manually in there do not always show up in Msconfig

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Let's try another stab in the dark...

This is where items pinned to the task bar are stored ...
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

Paste that into WinExplorer. Make sure you have settings so you can see hidden & system files. Delete the Windows Explorer shortcut AND delete desktop.ini

Restart and see if it returns.

J.T

Reaction score
Hey Fire cat (cute name) :)

AV is Sunbelts Vipre Premium my brother put on its got 3 months left before the licence runs out but its AV + Malware + Firewall although my Router has a hardware Firewall Vipres is bi directional. I will look at Safe Mode.

davehc I will look there as well :)

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Let's try another stab in the dark...
I think it's still best to try to analyse the problem, find the source and then find the solution.

First step is of course to check the Stratup folder and msconfig. If it continues, ebbot into safe mode to see if it is a system error or caused by a software.

Ask a Question