SOLVED BSOD and Computer Freezes After DVD Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
And the video card comes right out (after you disconnect the wires, of course) much like a DVD drive does, correct?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Of course have the computer off when you are doing this.
Try to take photo or take note of any wires connected to the card.
There will be a screw holding the card in to the backplane. (Usually star screw).
Make sure that there is not a clip holding the card in to the slot on the motherboard.
Use small rocking motion to ease the card out.

When you speak to the tech / salesperson take that card with you and tell them about what was connected to it.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Okay, I'm back, but not with a new video card. I had someone else take a look at the computer and he noticed that one of the drivers for the motherboard was not working, so he installed the driver and told me to get back to him in a few days about whether or not it blue screens again.

Meanwhile, I found out that the guy I first took my computer to changed the power supply in my computer for some reason. My power supply was originally 600 watts and now it is 400 watts. The new computer guy seemed to think this made no sense and thought that also could play a role in the blue screens.

So after updating the motherboard drivers, it did blue screen again. I was wondering if any of you could take a look at the last two most recent minidumps to see if anything about them looks different from past ones or if anything stands out?

Also, for what it is worth, the first of these BSODs wasn't an actual blue screen, it was this dark red-ish color with bright red text...

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Seriously, you-need-to-change-the-video-card.

I am sorry to be so direct, but you are spending money in the wrong place.

The crash dump still confirms that it is a ATI/AMD crash.

Reaction score
Seriously, you-need-to-change-the-video-card.

I am sorry to be so direct, but you are spending money in the wrong place.

The crash dump still confirms that it is a ATI/AMD crash.
haha I appreciate direct, no worries.

I forgot to mention, I actually DID change the video card, but then the computer wouldn't even start up. That's when I realized the guy had changed the power supply from 600 to 400 watts.

Shintaro

Reaction score
OK, what video card did you buy and there will be a beeping sequence that you will hear if it will not boot.

Reaction score
Okay, here's an update on what's going on with this.

So the problem appears to be not with the actual video card, but with the PCI input on the motherboard that the video card connects to being loose. When the fan on the card starts running, it slightly moves the card and because the PCI connection is loose, it blue screens. The computer guy (not the first guy who ripped me off--I found a really good one now who I will be going to in the future for any computer needs) had me test this theory by putting one of his fanless video cards in the computer. It worked perfectly for 8 days. So now I am looking for a new video card with no built in fan.

Does anyone have suggestions as to a good enough fanless video card at a relatively cheap price? This is the one I am currently thinking of:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127598

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be better to just replace the faulty motherboard? If you haven't had it too long you may still be in warranty and ASUSTek would RMA it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I agree with Trainable man.

But, I find it very strange that a fan can flex the card to make it move in the slot. There is a screw that secures the card to the case. Is that in place?

BTW anybody can make a computer crash by moving the card around in the slot. I have done it many times.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well as weird things that can happen in computers go, I remember an old 286 years ago that, once it warmed up the mobo expanded enough that the video card would become disconnected in the slot. For me the solution was a wooden #2 pencil placed under the mobo and screwed back down to keep it from expanding away from the video card. So depending how the video card is held in place and at what angle, I can see a fan vibrating it out. Maybe that's why PCI-e x16 slots added that little locking tab on the inside end of the contacts, maybe a screw at one end isn't always enough.

Reaction score
The screw that holds the card in place is there and I tightened it to try and get it to stay on there, but it didn't help. The PCI slot does have the locking tab on the inside end where it connects, but it is broken.

The reason I want to replace the video card instead of the motherboard is that I can replace the video card myself, but I don't trust myself to replace the motherboard myself, so it'd end up being more expensive since I'd have to pay someone to do it.

Shintaro

Reaction score
The problem that you are going to have is that, when the motherboard heats up then cools down the card will wiggle out. Thus causing problems. So even if you find a video card without a fan you may still have problems.
I suppose though the video card option is the cheaper option.

Reaction score
The problem that you are going to have is that, when the motherboard heats up then cools down the card will wiggle out. Thus causing problems. So even if you find a video card without a fan you may still have problems.
I suppose though the video card option is the cheaper option.
I know what you mean, but I had a fanless card in there for a little over a week with no problems, so I think I should be okay.

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to mark this thread as solved finally :-D

Ask a Question