SOLVED BSOD and Computer Freezes After DVD Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Yesterday, I replaced my DVD-drive and ever since, my computer has been freezing up and just BSOD'd a few minutes ago. Earlier today, I rechecked the connections of the DVD-drive, thinking I had possibly not connected the wire properly, and confirmed that it is connected as it should be.

When the computer freezes, one of two things happens: 1.) The screen distorts (weird colors and designs), or 2.) The screen freezes on whatever screen I am on (no distortion). In both cases, the only thing I can do is hold the power button down to restart the computer.

I attached the minidump from the most recent BSOD. Also, I'm not sure if these CPU-Z screen shots will be needed, but I was asked to provide them a few years back when I was having BSODs, so I figured I'd post updated ones.

SPD

Memory

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't read minidumps but just based on what you said ...

Check the website of the DVD manufacturer and see if they have a firmware update for the drive and if so, run that. Also make sure you have their most recent driver for the DVD installed.

Reaction score
Thanks. I went to the manufacturer's website and could not find any firmware or driver updates.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I have done everything mentioned in this thread so far and have not had another BSOD (yet). I'm not completely problem free yet, though, unfortunately.

I am still having an issue where my screen will go blank and then return to normal and a pop up message above the toolbar says "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has recovered." After this happens, there are some continuing distortions on the screen. The picture below is a screenshot of one of the distortions. The lines inside the red circle are the distortions I am talking about, and the lines keep blinking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I spoke too soon--just had another BSOD :(. Attached are the reports from the 3 BSODs I've had. I appreciate any help, I'm at my wits end!

Attachments

Reaction score
I'm running that now and I'll report back whenever it finishes. Thanks for all the help!

Reaction score
The video stress test you asked me to run has 2.5 hours left to run, so I'll have to report back in with the findings in the morning.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Please ensure that you update Norton AV. It was causing a crash.

Reaction score
Here are the results of the stress test, but there were no errors found:

[7/30/2012 1:45:08 AM] Test started for "Primary Display Driver (ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series)"...
Trying 16bpp RGB:565 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp RGB:555 mode...OK
Trying 16bpp BGR:565 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
Trying 32bpp RGB:888 mode...OK
Trying 32bpp BGR:888 mode...NOT SUPPORTED (Code: 80004001)
[7/30/2012 3:07:00 AM] Pass completed (0 errors found).
I will update my Norton AV right now.

Reaction score
Just updated my Norton AV, so it is waiting time to see if it BSODs again.
It has already done the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has recovered," error, however. :confused:

Shintaro

Reaction score
That's good that your video RAM was not faulty. That means that it is likely the video driver.

• Download the latest video driver. (Remember where you downloaded it to)
  • Uninstall the current video driver.
  • Reboot
  • install the new video driver

When you say that you updated NAV (Norton Anti-virus) did you update the program or just the virus patterns?

Reaction score
When you say that you updated NAV (Norton Anti-virus) did you update the program or just the virus patterns?
I updated the program.

I will try reinstalling the latest video driver if it starts acting up again. I've been out for the last few hours so I'm not sure if updating NAV fixed it or not yet.

Ask a Question