SOLVED BSOD and Computer Freezes After DVD Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Okay, I am going to do the driver verifier thing now. I'll check back in with results later.

EDIT: I don't know where the video card is from--I had the computer custom made, so I'm not sure where he bought the parts from.

Reaction score
If I can't figure this out soon, I may just buy a new video card. Can anyone recommend a good video card? I don't do any gaming on my computer really, but I do photo and video editing.

I'd like to just get this one working properly again, though haha

Shintaro

Reaction score
Hmmm, could you please make sure that IRP Logging is enabled. Also when you get to the Drivers from the list, please make sure that atikmdag.sys is selected.
In fact please make sure that any ATI (Maybe listed as AMD) drivers are selected.

What is a good card when you don't play games? The one that you can afford.
But seriously, I have been using Matrox and Nvidia dual head cards for a long time. The seem to be pretty good.

Reaction score
Hmmm, could you please make sure that IRP Logging is enabled. Also when you get to the Drivers from the list, please make sure that atikmdag.sys is selected.
In fact please make sure that any ATI (Maybe listed as AMD) drivers are selected.
How do I enable IRP logging? And you're talking about doing all of the above in the Driver Verifier, correct?

Yes, it is. Does it look like any of my drivers/software related to my motherboard could be out of date?

Shintaro

Reaction score
When you step through Driver verifier and get to the line "Select everything Except For.." Please make sure that IRP logging is selected.
And please make sure that the ATI/AMD drivers are selected after that.

I was wondering about the chipset drivers.
But also I see this installed:
nvm62x64.sys Sat Oct 18 08:01:06 2008
Which is a Nvidia LAN driver?? Very strange.

Reaction score
Okay, I just put those settings in for Driver Verifier and am restarting...I'll post my dumps later as they happen.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Could you please post a screen shot of CPU-Z "Graphics" tab.

Is it possible to get a pic of the video card?

There is something strange about this video card.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Download MemtestCL
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils

1. Extract the files in to a directory, c:\temp
  2. Open a dos/command prompt.
  3. Change directory to temp (cd c:\temp)
  4. Run memtest (memtestcl 1024 100)

This might work. I am not sure if the Open-CL drivers were installed.

It might be time to buy a cheap video card. Here in Australia I can buy a 1Gb GT610 for $44 AUD
Which is pretty good considering I am still running an old GeForce 7300 256Mb

Let us know

Shintaro

Reaction score
Another idea.
Boot in to safe mode.
Open windows explorer.
Navigate to C:\windows\System32\Drivers
Change [FONT=&quot]ASACPI.sys to ASACPI.sy_ (Notice the underscore)
Reboot.

[/FONT]

Reaction score
Okay, I did the ASACPI.sy_ thing. I couldn't figure out how to get the Memtest to work, though

Shintaro

Reaction score
OK, lets see if it is that driver.

If it still continues to crash........
I have been talking with other guys that analyze crashes. We have come down to 2 possibilities, the video card or the power supply.

Since the video card is the easiest and can be the cheapest, it would be best to replace it.

Reaction score
Yeah, it just BSOD'ed again, so I'm leaning towards replacing the video card. Video cards are typically a standard size so I don't need to find one that will "fit" my computer, correct?

Here is the most recent dump just for the hell of it.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Depending on how technical you are you could remove the video card and as the tech or sales person for a newer card that fits that particular slot type. Or take the box in to a computer shop and get them to install a new video card.

Please let us know how you go.

Ask a Question