Intermittent BSODs on brand new computer (Windows 7)

Reaction score
Hi There,

I recently built a new computer for a friend of mine, and it has been BSOD-ing intermittently since the install of Windows. I've downloaded Bluescreen viewer, and it appears that the BSODs have occurred under the following exceptions:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
RESOURCE_NOT_OWNED

I've ran the memory through memtest, and it seems fine. I've updated the BIOS, and all of the drivers on the system (display, chipset, LAN, audio), and yet the BSODs are still occurring.

Attached to this post are the minidumps for each of the crashes, and screenshots of CPU-Z showing Mainboard, Memory and the two SPD slots.

The only thing that springs to mind that *might* be causing this could be the PSU that came with the case - it is 700W, which is more than adequate for the system, but given it's a no-name brand (casecom), I can't feel 100% sure about it.

Reinstalling Windows is also no issue - as it is a brand new computer, there are no files on here yet that are valuable.

Any and all help or suggestions is appreciated - I'm really at a loss as to what could be causing this!

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Have you tested your RAM with Memtest86+ overnight for 6 to 8 passes?

The reason I ask, I'm not an expert at RAM settings/timings, so maybe I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly based on your CPU-Z attachments, looks to me like your bus is 800MHz and timings are 11-11-11-28-1T but in the last screen doesn't it say your RAM wants timings of 9-9-9-25-2T @ 1.5V at that speed?

It's also a good idea to go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and make sure you have the latest BIOS and drivers.

Reaction score
Hi Trainableman,

Would changing the RAM timings in the BIOS to match the SPD timings help?

I let Memtest run through two passes before stopping it, but I'll run it through more thoroughly overnight.

I downloaded the latest drivers and updated the BIOS from Asus' website. The motherboard is an ASUS P8H61-MX USB3.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If they are wrong then yes the timings in BIOS need changed. I think I am reading it correctly but I'm not 100% sure.

I would expect memtest to return errors if they are NOT correct.

Reaction score
I've changed the timings, and so far it is stable, although it's only been about 30 - 40 minutes. I'll post back if there are any more BSODs. Fingers crossed there aren't though! :)

Thanks again for your help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
On a new computer build you really should run memtest86+ overnight. You would be surprised how often RAM is not good right out of the package. Of course you need to be sure it is the actual RAM and not the timings but hope for no errors and then it is likely both are good.

Ask a Question