SOLVED BSOD and Computer Freezes After DVD Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Hm, okay. I'm going to have to try this tomorrow, I'm getting tired and don't want mess around with that unless I'm fully awake haha. Thank you for all the help and I'll check back in tomorrow.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Both those utils work for me.

Ok, let us know how you go.

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of updates (and any typos here, Im typing this on my phone).

So I ended up taking my computer in to a shop to get fixed. 4 days and $200 later, I get it back with the same errors, though nlw it is distorting WAY more.

So my new question is this: I have the computer in safe mode right now while I back up my files and it is working perfectly (no BSODs, freezing, distorting, etc.). This leads me to believe that all the hardware is working fine and it is either a software or driver issue. Is this a safe assumption and if so, would reinstalling Windows, in theory, solve the issue?

Im having loads of technology issues right now (my external hard drive, with over 1TB of stuff, randomly stopped working while the computer was in the shop), so I am hoping a Windows reinstall will fix the computer issues so I won't have to spend more money getting the computer "fixed."

Shintaro

Reaction score
Can you upload the crash dump files?

If you data on a drive that is faulty, I would recommend SpinRite.
http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm

If you decide to reinstall, it may fix the problem, who know. It's up to you.

There is another alternative, that is to uninstall everything that you don't need. Sometimes the last thing that you installed can be the culprit.

Reaction score
I will try to upload the crash dump file soon. I currently have that computer running in safe mode as I back up all my files, as that is the only way I can get the computer functioning long enough to let me transfer files.

On the external hard drive subject, I'm not sure if Spinrite would work, as the computer doesn't even recognize the hard drive anymore. I've hooked it up to 3 other computers and they also don't recognize it. I'm hoping I'll be able to find a data recovery place that can get my data off it at a relatively reasonable price. Not sure if this is the place to ask this, but it doesn't hurt to ask. What are the best brands of external hard drives? I'll be purchasing a new one soon and I want to make sure I get a GOOD one, and not just pick one because the price is right.

Shintaro

Reaction score
OK, there is a method to get a drive like that to work. But understand it is a one-hit shot.
Put the drive in the freezer for about 20 mins. Obviously make sure it doesn't get wet.
After 20 mins, plug it in and keep your fingers crossed.
I have done it, And I got 90% off a dead drive.
Another thing, if you have cold pack sit the drive on it, remembering not to get the drive wet. The cooler you can keep the drive the more likely you'll get the data off.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Maybe think about a SSD rather than another spinning drive.

Reaction score
OK, there is a method to get a drive like that to work. But understand it is a one-hit shot.
Put the drive in the freezer for about 20 mins. Obviously make sure it doesn't get wet.
After 20 mins, plug it in and keep your fingers crossed.
I have done it, And I got 90% off a dead drive.
Another thing, if you have cold pack sit the drive on it, remembering not to get the drive wet. The cooler you can keep the drive the more likely you'll get the data off.
Assuming I don't get the drive wet, could the cold damage the drive at all? Meaning, if I try the freezer trick and it doesn't work, could I then still bring it to a data recovery place and they would have the same likelihood of saving the data as they would if I hadn't tried the freezer trick?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

Maybe check the data recovery prices first. Last time I checked they were very high.
That is why I did the freezer trick.

But it is up to you. If you have the money get a company to get your data.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI: The HD in the freezer trick is for if your hard drive crashed (the heads locked into place). Sometimes the cold will make the metal contract enough to swing the seek arm free. So you place it in a plastic ziplock bag and freeze it. Once you put this back into your computer it is a one-time shot just to recover your data. You will need a new hard drive!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So it is a way to KILL the HDD.
No, freezing should only be used if the HD is already dead. It is a last ditch effort to revive it long enough to recover data after a head crash.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yep that's pretty much the situation that this poor fellow is in. If he has the money to send it off, then all is good. But to the rest of us, the freezer is the best shot.

The freezer is a long shot, but hey, what the heck, the drive is dead anyway.
I have done it several times. With varying success.

The choice is completely up to the user.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yep that's pretty much the situation that this poor fellow is in. If he has the money to send it off, then all is good.
WARNING: BestBuy and similar places offer data recovery, several years ago when I last checked it was US$89.99 even if they couldn't recover anything. This type recovery is only for software type errors (missing FAT tables, etc), so if you know it is a hardware failure then do not even waste your money trying there.

For hardware failures, if you can't use the freezer trick, then it usually takes a specialized data recovery site that actually takes the platters out of your HD and puts them into a working drive to recover; this is quite expensive ... $500+.

I did have an occasion where the freezer trick would not work and I knew i wouldn't pay $500 for specialized data recovery so I drilled out the screws on the cover plate with a Dremel and touched the seek arm and it sprang back to track 0. I was able to attach the drive and recover most of my pictures; plus it was fun watching it working.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Thanks TrainableMan,
That very important distinction needed to be made, between a corrupt FAT table and a dead disk. I forgot to make that point.

Wow, taking a Dremel drill to the drive. I have never had to go that far.

Yep, that specialized service is for companies that get a drive cooked in a building fire and do not have daily off-site back ups. :rolleyes:

I once heard a rumor that the Russians were the best at data recovery, because their economy was so bad the only disks that people could afford were damaged ones from other countries.
So they developed ways to recover data and make use of the damaged disk. Mind you it's a total rumor.

Sorry to digress.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Wow, taking a Dremel drill to the drive. I have never had to go that far.
Well they use those screws that require a screwdriver with a triangle or star shaped head and I don't have one so I simply ground off the screw heads so I could remove the cover; wasn't pretty but I knew it was a last ditch effort anyway.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
This is another reason why I always recommend storing valuable data on an external hard that is not continually on all the time.

Reaction score
I took the hard drive to Best Buy and they're going to be able to recover the data at a very reasonable price (less than $150)!

On the computer topic, though...so I performed a clean reinstall of Windows 7 and things seem to be going fine for the most part, except for one thing. I can't change the resolution of my screen to the recommended setting (1600x900) even after I went on the manufacturer's site and downloaded the most recent driver for the monitor. I then download the AMD driver and installed it (just the driver, not all of the other stuff it tries to get me to install). After a few minutes, it started giving me the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has recovered" message again. Luckily this time, however, it didn't start distorted/pixelating. I restored my computer back to before I installed the AMD driver and it is working fine again, other than the resolution problem. So, anyone have any advice? haha

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If BestBuy can recover the files then it was a software crash. Rather expensive in my opinion but if it's important then apparently worth it to you.

Is this the same place you paid $200 and got it back still broken? If so I would raise a little hell that I already paid $200 and you did nothing and gave it back with a dying HD which forced me to spend all this extra money.

As for the resolution problem; it's likely a matter of finding the right driver.

Ask a Question