SOLVED BSOD and Computer Freezes After DVD Drive Upgrade

Reaction score
Alright, I installed the beta driver and am still getting the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has recovered" error :(

Shintaro

Reaction score
Does it happen after the computer has been on for a long time??
Can you make it fault? If so how?

Reaction score
It happens not long after start up and at random times. I haven't figured out a way to make it fault.
Usually I hate BSODs, but I'm happy that my computer just blue screened so I could post a recent minidump that might somehow give you guys a clue about what could be the problem. The most recent minidump is attached.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

The crash dump is corrupted. Are you able to zip it up again and upload it please.

Shintaro

Reaction score
It appears to be the Norton driver again:

Call Site
nt!KeBugCheckEx
nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'
nt!KiExceptionDispatch
nt!KiPageFault
nt!ExDeferredFreePool
nt!ExFreePoolWithTag
SYMEFA64
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
SYMEFA64
0x0
SYMEFA64
Are you able to download Microsoft Security Essentials:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials
  • Uninstall Norton.
  • Reboot
  • Install Microsoft Security Essentials.
See how that goes. If you don't get crashes then if you have a subscription to Norton send them a email.

Reaction score
It is still doing the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has recovered" error, but it has not frozen or BSODed (yet)!

Shintaro

Reaction score
Are there any AMD utilities installed?

If it doesn't crash for a while and you think that problem is fixed then try the GPU test.

The previous test was for the Video RAM.
This test is for testing your video GPU.
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Reaction score
Yeah, I think all of the AMD utilities are installed--I couldn't figure out how to install just the driver. Also, I'm not sure how to uninstall the current video driver and I'm hesitant to mess with that since I'm not quite sure what does what.

Shintaro

Reaction score
I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. Let us know after you have done the GPU test.

Reaction score
haha I appreciate your patience and all the help! I'm starting the GPU test now.

Reaction score
So, my computer immediately shut off the second I ran the GPU test. Once the computer started back up, it BSODed again, so here is my newest minidump :mad:

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
My sincere apologies for that.

We need to test the GPU.

I'll have look for another recommended one.

Reaction score
No need to apologize, I appreciate any help! I'm going to start running this utility now.

Reaction score
The same thing happened when I ran that one (computer immediately shut off), but no blue screen after this time. Could the fact that these tests won't even run be a sign of some problem?

I am going to explain all the changes that I made to the computer before these problems started. I think most of it is irrelevant, but I could easily be overlooking something that is important:

• Shut off the computer. Unplugged all USB, power, ethernet, etc. cords from computer. Moved computer tower out from the cabinet it was kept in.
  • Noticed the cooling fans on side and back of computer were covered in dust, so I vacuumed the dust out of the fans.
  • Removed original DVD drive and replaced it with a brand new DVD drive.
  • Reconnected all USB, etc. cords to computer. Placed computer under computer desk instead of in cabinet to allow it to have more space so the cooling fans can stay clear.
As I said, most of that is probably irrelevant, but I figured I should mention it all. Could it be possible that I somehow loosened the video card (or some other part) inside the computer when I changed the DVD drive? Or would that cause the computer to not function at all?

Shintaro

Reaction score
That is real strange.

• Turn the computer off.
  • Disconnect the video card to monitor lead.
  • Open the case and Check that the video card is correct inserted.
  • Remove the video card.
  • Make sure it is clear of dust.
  • Re-insert the card
  • Re-connect lead.

Reaction score
Just to clarify, when you say disconnect the video card to monitor lead, do you mean disconnect the monitor from the computer tower?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Yea, you know the lead that goes from the video card to the monitor. Disconnect it from the video card.
The reason is because you are going to remove the video card.

Ask a Question