SOLVED Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads

Reaction score
yeah i'm getting the same error, invalid ISO file.
Apparently they've changed WUDT because i remember it used to work just fine

So far i've tried using rufus, isotousb and universal usb installer with no success

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you read back a few pages you will see many people have issues with the DVD tool.

First make sure you download the complete SP1-U Media Refresh version (the 64-bit English ISO shows as 3,243,070KB on my computer with Home Prem MD5 hash of da319b5826162829c436306bebea7f0f & Pro MD5 hash of ed15956fe33c13642a6d2cb2c7aa9749)

Second, try creating the flash drive on a computer of the same bit-size, problems can occur trying to create a 64-bit W7 Installation flash drive on a 32-bit machine (and likely visa versa as well)

Third, try formatting the flash drive first, using a different file system. Example if the flash drive is formatted exFAT try reformatting to NTFS first (or visa versa)

Fourth, if all that fails then create a bootable flash drive manually and then use PowerISO or other virtual DVD software to mount the ISO and copy everything over to the now bootable flash drive.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions will make a try. And I will review the previous pages. I figured there must be others, Honestly I didn't want to flip through 25 pages of posts. LOL
FYI..
I did download using the refreshed links. I am using Win 8.1x64 trying to make a Win7SP1x64. But the I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. I dont even get that far with the USB DVD Tool, when clicking next on the DVD Tool after pointing to the downloaded ISO, is when the error occurs.

But I will try using the alternatives methods and report back.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is the same error others have complained about David. Unless you have Windows 8 Pro these downloads won't really help you anyway because you will need a Windows 7 product key.

Reaction score
I do have win 8 pro, but I do have a retail key for win7pro as well. I am still using win7 for my HTPC WMC and other systems. I just upgraded my personal workstation to winpro8.1 wmc, now that MS is finally making win8 worthwile.

Reaction score
so um.....the iso link when i use the dvd tool it says its not an iso.file.....so what to do now?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ruffus, my best guess, you are looking at the wrong file, or you used "save as" and changed the file extension by mistake, or whenever you tried editting the file with PowerISO you renamed the extension by mistake.

Just download it again.

Reaction score
ok trainableman heres what i did i downloaded a new iso as you requested didnt rename it or use any powerISO tool....i just did 3 things download iso windows 7 pro 64 then used microsoft dvd tool...it still says its notan iso file....i didnt touch or rename it....and im 100% sure its the file i downloaded it bcos on my downloads tab theres just a few things i have music video and this iso file....so can you tell me what im doing wrong? plus if i just buy a new windows 7 home basic cd what will happen will i be able to proceed with repairing my laptop? thanx anyway dude

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
ruffus, does it say it's not an ISO file or it's not a VALID ISO file? The DVD tool can be picky, that wouldn't mean you don't have an ISO file, just that the DVD Tool doesn't like it.

Specifically what file did you download? X17-24268 or the newer X17-59297 ?

Can you buy a home basic DVD? I doubt you can find one but yes it should work for repair. But as I warned you before, the problem may be hardware; there is a good chance your hard drive is going bad and will need replaced.

David, you downloaded Windows 7 without SP1 which means you will have over two years of extra updates to do after you install. Better if you get W7-SP1-U (media refresh) even if you have to manually create a bootable flash drive rather than using the tool.

Reaction score
Seriously?! I thought it was to good to be true!. I have the orginal Win7 Disk. I need an updated one! Takes so long to run updates! Uggg! Will try again! with alt methods. Has anyone tried burning the updated ISO to a DVD, then trying the Windows DVD Tool? I know there are other methods, but the DVD Tool made it all very simple.

Reaction score
It has been so long since I have used the tools, I don't remember which ones I used. I have successfully created a 32-bit and a 64-bit install disk without the "ei.cfg" file, edited from the downloads available. I've also manually created a USB boot stick and copied the install media to the stick. But as I said it has been a long time, probably over 4 years ago.

Reaction score
I was able to mount these images using Daemon Tools, there is a host of errors, all have been mentioned in previous pages of this thread. No need to restate. Is it possible that these downloads are NG? Is there another source of official ms downloads? Maximum PC just had an article about this, and it seems that there info is wrong. They were talking about techriver.com, and the only results in a search I was able to find was these threads. I know I can get downloads from BB sites, but was hoping to avoid that in this case.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
TrainableMan said:
First make sure you download the complete SP1-U Media Refresh version (the 64-bit English ISO shows as 3,243,070KB on my computer with Home Prem MD5 hash of da319b5826162829c436306bebea7f0f & Pro MD5 hash of ed15956fe33c13642a6d2cb2c7aa9749)
Digital Rivers is the official distributor for Microsoft Windows 7. There can always be problems with a download, especially files this large. What version are you downloading (Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate)? And did you get the media refresh version? I suggest you check the MD5 hash with a tool like winmd5free; if it matches the ones I listed then your ISO is correct, if not then you need to download again.

If it does match and the USB tool won't work then manually create a bootable flash drive and then mount the ISO and copy the files over.

Reaction score
If I could upload faster I wouldn't mind hosting two ISOs, I manually edited myself. But my upload rate is so slow it would be ridiculous in even trying.

Reaction score
Yeah, Ok, I'm going to try and re-download again. Will report back. Thanks for all of the responses and support! You guy are great!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is the exact same link; it makes no difference whether you linked to it from our list or those on digitallife. What makes a difference is the load on the digital rivers servers and your connection which can vary greatly.

Reaction score
Hey thanks for sharing this!, (I know I am a few years late and forgot to register here when this was first posted) but this is working fine with no errors at all!.

Ask a Question