SOLVED Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads

Reaction score
You may want to read this first.

How to Downgrade Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7

The Professional edition of Windows 8 comes with “downgrade rights.” If you’re not happy with Windows 8 on a new computer, you can downgrade it to Windows 7 for free – as long as you have Windows 8 Pro.
After Windows 7 finishes installing, the online activation will fail because your product key is already in use. If you don’t see an “activation failed” message, you can press Start, type Activate, and click Activate Windows. You’ll need to activate by phone. Call up the phone number displayed in the activation window and explain that you’re exercising your Windows 8 Pro downgrade rights. Have your Windows 8 Pro key ready; you’ll need it to prove your PC has downgrade rights.

After explaining this, you’ll be given a long, single-use activation code. Enter that activation code into the window and your Windows 7 Professional installation will be activated.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. However, that article states that, "Downgrade rights are only available on computers that come with Windows 8 Pro. Upgrade copies of Windows 8 Pro don’t include downgrade rights, so you can’t purchase the Windows 8 Pro Pack to get downgrade rights." The new computer I bought didn't come with PRO, so I can't use this option. That puts me back to my original question about using the ISO's here and needing the purchase a product key.

Reaction score
That puts me back to my original question about using the ISO's here and needing the purchase a product key.
I wasn't sure if that would help or not. However I don't know the answer to your question.

The only thing I can do is point you to "Activate Windows on this computer", that links to "Get a new Windows product key" and refers to MS "Shop", which seems to only want to sell Windows 8. I'm not sure if MS currently sells Windows 7 license.

Reaction score
i have a windows 7 home basic 64-bit (6.1, build 7601) so which one do i download?
and can you also tell me if my version has SP1? sorry im a novice in computers and i need this file to clean up some corrupted files thanx

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
BrianH, I have heard that Windows 8 Pro includes downgrade rights to Windows 7, but unless you have Pro you would have to buy Windows 7. Even if you do have Pro there is also the issue of finding W7 drivers for your specific computer.

If the reason you do not want Win8 is the Start menu, I have heard that the second release of Win8.1 expected in August or September is supposed to restore the START menu. Until then I suggest you keep Win8 and simply use Classic Shell (free) or Start 8 (30-day trial, $5 to keep) which do a pretty good imitation of the Win7 Start Menu.

UPDATE: Microsoft has pulled plans to reintegrate the Start menu into Windows 8.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ruffus, Download 64-bit Professional and then delete ei.cfg before you burn it (or simply delete it after you create a USB flash version). See how HERE.

Reaction score
BrianH, I have heard that Windows 8 Pro includes downgrade rights to Windows 7, but unless you have Pro you would have to buy Windows 7. Even if you do have Pro there is also the issue of finding W7 drivers for your specific computer.

If the reason you do not want Win8 is the Start menu, I have heard that the second release of Win8.1 expected in August or September is supposed to restore the START menu. Until then I suggest you keep Win8 and simply try the 30-day evaluation of Start 8 which does a pretty good imitation of the Win7 Start Menu.
It's actually more of compatibility thing. There are some older programs that I still use for my job that are so old that they are not compatible with Windows 8. It's a High-End Asus laptop that I bought, so I'm not too worried about Drivers. It just sounds more and more like I need to just buy the actual product from a source online, and have them ship me the original disk with a new product key. (Somewhere like NewEgg or Tiger Direct)

Thank you guys for your advice and quick replies.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Are you sure it is a Windows 7 versus Windows 8 problem and not a 64-bit versus 32-bit?

As for the laptop drivers, I suggest you check the ASUS website and see if W7 drivers are available.

Reaction score
Yes, as I am currently running the programs on a 64-bit Vista machine. They work without any issues.

Reaction score
trainableman i have downloaded the 64-bit windows 7 professional but can you pls tell me how i can delete this ei.cfg? because when i right click it .it doestn give me an option to delete it.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
BrianH, Have you tried compatibility mode? You can set the program to run "like Vista" or "Windows 7" and that might allow it to work in Windows 8. You could also ask your IT department if there is a newer version of the software. If you definitely want to get Windows 7 you might consider a System Builders Edition to save some money.

ruffus, you need to follow the link I provided which explains how. >>> HERE <<<
Basically you download the ISO which is an image file containing 1000s of files, and edit it. To edit it you need to install a program such as PowerISO. Using PowerISO you edit the image and delete.ei.cfg which is in the root folder of the image. Then burn the updated ISO image to a DVD.

Reaction score
i followed it and got an option to delete it when i managed to delete it.it asked if i wanted to save it and said yes...after i did it sent me a message that the file was like about 300mb and it has a restriction for saving it and it asked me to purchase buy the ISO...is there a way to do this without paying?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Do you have an empty 4GB (or larger) flash drive? If so, download the Microsoft USB DVD Download tool. Install the download tool and then run it to store the ISO onto the flash drive. Once the flash drive is created, simply delete ei.cfg from the flash drive.

Now use the flash drive to boot the computer where you intend to install W7.

Reaction score
ok thanx.sorry if im a little bit asky ok. so heres my plan pls tell me if its okay...download the iso send it to the usb then delete the ei.cfg. file after that burn it into a CD (because the process requires a cd repair windows) then proceed with the repair of my windows file...BTW im doing this because of some corrupted or missing files ...im just repairing my laptop not really factory reseting it....im doing this bcos sc/scannow cant detect the corrupted files and windows 7 dont have dism/restorehealth ....i get this error 0x8007049 or something and it eats my hardrive a little bit like 1-4 gb going up and down(not a big deal) but i wanted to solve it right away because it might be a bigger problem next time ..so anyway thanx for your help and im going to do this already....if you think my plan needs improvement or something or its okay already to proceed pls your more than welcome thanx by the way trainableman

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You already downloaded the ISO, no need to do that again. Download the DVD Download tool and install it. Then run it and have it put the W7 ISO image onto the flash drive. Next, delete ei.cfg from the flash drive. No CD, you are using the flash drive.

Plug the flash drive into your laptop and boot it from the flash drive (this may require you changing settings in the BIOS so that the USB is first in the boot order). Windows 7 Install menu shows up. Choose "startup repair" from the Installation screen. After repair eject the flash drive and reboot the computer.

If you are constantly loosing files then you should replace the hard drive before it fails completely and you loose everything. So if startup repair fixes things, take this opportunity to back up everything to an external hard drive and also be sure you have your W7 product key written down. If not then use a program like SIW to extract it from your system while it is still working.

Finally, replace the hard drive. Reinstall W7 from the flash drive using the product key. Restore your data from the external drive.

Reaction score
after finishing downloading the ISO i opened the windows usb tool and it asked me for the ISO. file when i clicked on the resource it says that the file i downloaded wasnt an iso. file ...is there no link for a windows 7 home basic 64-bit so i dont need to delete this ei.cfg file?when i used the power iso i was able to open it and showed file? for this what should i do unzip or something? thanx btw can i just use imgburner program then burn it into a dvd then delete the ei.cfg file then write it again or what?

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are no links to Home Basic. You must have the ISO. If you use the USB tool to install the ISO's image to a flash drive then you will not be using PowerISO, nor IMGBurn, nor will you be creating a DVD.

Reaction score
I downloaded the Win7 Prof SP! x64 Iso.
Has anyone tried using the Windows7-USB-DVD-tool with these ISOs? I tried and I keep getting an error saying invalid ISO file.
Any thoughts? THis is a much better process that burning to DVD.

Ask a Question