SOLVED Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads

Reaction score
Alastair, Are you trying to get the 64-bit or 32-bit? Because X17-24208 is 32-bit but X17-58997 is 64-bit.

Once you get the correct bit size it is important to verify you got the entire ISO. The 64-bit file should be 3.24MB. The USB tool has to be installed and then when you run it, try running as an Administrator, see if that helps.

If you are sure you have the entire ISO and the tool doesn't work even as an administrator then you will have to create your own bootable USB stick and then simply expand the ISO on to it without the USB Tool. Go back to the post HERE for instructions on making a Bootable USB without the tool.
This actually helped my problem too (hopefully), I was missing 400mb of the 32-bit file. Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ryan, for anything over 2GB of RAM I suggest the 64-bit version if the processor supports it.

As for the size of the file, I do believe the 32-bit file IS smaller so that may not be your issue.

As for the virus, it's probably best to drop all partitions on the hard drive and then start over. Also be careful plugging the USB drive into your good computer, since most people have USB set to run automatically when inserted.

I would reformat the USB flash drive, maybe even try a different format such as exFAT, and if your methods to create a boot DVD still won't work, go back to the post HERE for instructions on making a Bootable USB without the tool.

NOTE: The USB DVD Tool will format the drive anyway (and RUFUS probably does as well) but if you manually format it then you know it doesn't contain a virus.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ryan, for anything over 2GB of RAM I suggest the 64-bit version if the processor supports it.

With this in mind, do you recommend I just do a fresh-install of 64bit again? I still seemed to have trouble getting Java on a 64bit on his machine (I didn't have this problem on mine)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Not just fresh install, but actually drop all partitions on the hard drive (this can be done from the command prompt off the installation menu).

Java is a security risk so I don't rush to put Java on anything but if you need it, open a browser and go straight to java.com and install it from there.

Reaction score
Thanks I will try that. However now you mention it I am not sure whether my previously installed version of windows 7 is 32 or 64 bit because the machine will not load windows. Is there anyway I can retrieve this info from the command prompt.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What is the make/model or your computer (or the motherboard if it is a custom build)? How much RAM do you have? Do you recall if your computer had a \Program Files (x86)\ folder?

If the processor supports it and you have at least 2GB then I suggest you install 64-bit, unless you have some critical hardware that only has 32-bit drivers.

Reaction score
I downloaded the X17-24209 (64 bit Home Premium on page 1), and when I went to burn it, got a message that the size in the file header didn't match the actual size. Then I spotted the references to the Media Refresh on page 2, and downloaded the X17-58997. No such error message on that one.

Without a hash code to verify, is there any way to know that the ISO is good? Has anybody loaded it and have either success or failure to report when installing and using it?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The MD5 I get for X17-58997 is da319b5826162829c436306bebea7f0f. I happen to use 64-bit English so I had it to check.

Reaction score
Thanks. I get the same code, which is always a good sign if the same file is being checked. The real question is, does that match what it is supposed to be?

I figured if anybody had already tried to use it and it either worked or had problems, they might be nice enough to report back so others would know. In fact that could be useful information for any of the ISOs that people might have tried. Also, even if someone hasn't reported on the particular one a person downloaded, it would be a good indicator if either the vast majority of reports, in general, were positive or a substantial number were negative.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
These are the official links from Digital Rivers which is Microsoft's official online distributor for Windows 7. And when Digital Rivers was down and/or not working, a few months back, we got posts here almost immediately. I have also found that same MD5 in a web search. I'm confident you have the correct file.

Reaction score
Yep that was the problem both the files I had originally downloaded were not complete. I found a command line which returned the information that my laptop OS was 64 bit. So I now have the complete file X17-58997.iso 3.2GB and the USB DVD Tool now works. But it copies the files across but will not run bootsect.exe because i am doing this on a 32 bit vista machine. What is the best way for me to proceed now?

Thanks

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You will need to put a 32-bit version of bootsec.exe into the USB DVD Download Tool's installation folder. Then run the USB DVD Tool.
Source

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you follow the Source link they offer a link in their explanation.

NOTE: I've never tried it myself so, as with anything you download from the internet, I suggest you scan it with Anti-virus software.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In my post above is the word "Source" which is where I found the information you needed with a simple BING search. Click that link and it will take you to the original source of the information. And from that page click their link to a zipped copy of Bootsec.exe.

Reaction score
x17-58997.iso
Will this image work with a retail or full version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit product key or just oem.
I am told there are problems with the oem version if your motherboard or hard drive dies?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Legally, not an issue with the hard drive however if your motherboard dies the OEM (and system builder's) license dies with it. However Microsoft has been known to make exceptions as long as you replace the motherboard with the exact same make/model MOBO.

So if you are simply replacing the hard drive, yes it will work as long as you have the product key, from OEM , System Builder's, Upgrade (may require double install), or Full. Depending how often you reinstall, you may have to contact Microsoft for activation.

If you replaced the MOBO with the same Make/Model it will install but you will likely have to call Microsoft and explain the situation to get it activated if you have an OEM or system builders product key.

Reaction score
I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I'm not seeing it so I figured I should ask. I just bought a NEW Laptop that has Windows 8 on it, but I want to have Windows 7 instead. If I download the ISO for the version that I want, and burn it to a disk, can I use that to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on the new computer?

Also, where do I get a product key? Once I install this, can I just contact Microsoft directly and pay the fee to activate it and they'll give me a product key? How does that work when I don't already have a key for a Windows 7 product?

Thanks in advance!!

Ask a Question