SOLVED How to get FOUR versions of Windows 7 x64 from one DVD

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have learned through some investigation that is is possible to get all FOUR versions of Windows 7 x64 OS from ONE DVD!

Here's how to do it:

1. Find a copy of PowerISO and install it on your computer.

2. Download a copy of any Windows 7 x64 OS ISO image or use the original DVD from Microsoft to make an ISO image with PowerISO to your hard drive.

3. Open up PowerISO and use the "Open" option on the menu bar to open up the ISO image file you saved.

4. Browse to the "sources" folder and then find the "ei.cfg" file. Right-click on it and delete it. (If you want to, you can open this file with NOTEPAD and see that all it does is specify which version of Windows 7 to auto install.)

5. Then use the "Save" option in PowerISO and save to the original ISO image.

6. Burn this "altered" ISO image to a DVD at 4X speed using PowerISO or ImgBurn.

7. Now when you use this DVD to install the Windows 7 OS, you'll see in the "Install" window a list of FOUR options to install. They are as follows:
A. Home Basic x64
B. Home Premium x64
C. Professional x64
D. Ultimate x64

Pretty cool, huh? You will still need a GENUINE MS PRODUCT KEY to activate the install though. But we all know that everyone here has that already... right? :rolleyes:
These are full and genuine installs, they will update and pass the MS Validation Check also.

Now you can also do the same with the x86 ISO image too. (32bit version) Here's what you'll get with changing that ISO:
A. Home Starter x86
B. Home Basic x86
C. Home Premium x86
D. Professional x86
E. Ultimate x86

I hope y'all will enjoy this little tutorial of mine. Believe me, it works! :ciao:

NOTE: If you don't have PowerISO, this will also work with UltraISO too!

NOTE 2: The free version of PowerISO will not allow you to save the W7 Installation ISO; it exceeds the maximum file size, so if you don't have the full version try different virtual mounting software. Or better yet create a bootable flash drive with the ISO and then delete the ei.cfg right off the flash drive.

So, basically what Microsoft has done is use one install DVD for all the different versions of the OS and then use the "ei.cfg" file to lock the install to whatever version is paid for.

Last edited:

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the key that came with your Windows product was version specific. For example, my husband had XP Pro on his computer and needed to reinstall. For some odd reason his disc wouldnt read properly so we threw in my XP (non-pro) disc. When it came time to enter the key it wouldn't take properly because he used an XP Pro key for an XP install....

So I'm basically a bit surprised that any valid key will work for any windows 7 version

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
It is, Draceena. The only point of issue is that the same key can activate both 64 or 32Bit.
The hack posted is well publicised on the web, and even by Microsoft Technet. It matters not to MS, as the hacker will still need the correct key for the edition he has obtained. It is only of use if you would like to install and test the other versions for 30 days.

" You will still need a GENUINE MS PRODUCT KEY to activate the install though. But we all know that everyone here has that already... right?"

Presumably, if members have a genuine key for one of the releases, apart from my comment above, they would have no real reason to apply the hack?

Reaction score
From my experience dealing with TechNet downloads, it is the licence number that determines which variant to install.
Even updating from Professional to Ultimate required a valid Ultimate licence number!
The one licence number will validate either a 32 or 64 bit installation since legal purchases come with both anyway!

This hack would appear not to be of any use to those with genuine licence numbers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 Home Premium, legal copy, but it appears it is 64 bit. I need the 32 bit version. Is it on this disk somewhere? I have XP Pro running on my machine now?

Is there someone here with an answer? Thanks.

Reaction score
I have a Windows 7 Home Premium, legal copy, but it appears it is 64 bit. I need the 32 bit version. Is it on this disk somewhere? I have XP Pro running on my machine now?

Is there someone here with an answer? Thanks.
With my purchased Win 7 Professional there are two disks in the pack. A 32bit one and a 64 bit one!
Was yours not similar?

Reaction score
I have Home Premium

Geoff,

I have Home Premium---not Windows 7 Pro.

Yes. I paid for it.

7thDwarf

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I was always under the impression that the key that came with your Windows product was version specific. For example, my husband had XP Pro on his computer and needed to reinstall. For some odd reason his disc wouldnt read properly so we threw in my XP (non-pro) disc. When it came time to enter the key it wouldn't take properly because he used an XP Pro key for an XP install....

So I'm basically a bit surprised that any valid key will work for any windows 7 version
Did I state that ANY KEY would work for ANY version of Windows 7? No, I did not.

If you have a KEY for Windows 7 Professional, then that KEY will only work for the Professional version either in x86 or x64. The MS Genuine Product Key is LOCKED to the version one bought, ie., Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate.

I just thought this would be useful to people who are "system builders" and others who do multiple installs. It would help reduce their clutter of DVDs.

Is it legal? I suppose that's walking a fine line. As long as one has paid for their Product Key, then there is no issue.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
One disk. And, may I add, I am glad you can read! :D
It looks as if you have the OEM version. Did your disk come in a rather plain box with square corners on the disc's storage case?

I only know of OEM discs being shipped as singles rather than the set of two with the retail and upgrade versions.

Now the question is, would a product key of an OEM 32 bit version work with an x64 OEM version? For example; a Home Premium 32 bit OEM to Home Premium x64.

Reaction score
It looks as if you have the OEM version. Did your disk come in a rather plain box with square corners on the disc's storage case?

I only know of OEM discs being shipped as singles rather than the set of two with the retail and upgrade versions.

Now the question is, would a product key of an OEM 32 bit version work with an x64 OEM version? For example; a Home Premium 32 bit OEM to Home Premium x64.
The box has a Windows7 booklet one side and the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on the other side. If there is a hidden 32 bit version on this disk, that would be perfect.

My Pentium 4 with 3 gig RAM will handle 32 bit. The box has a Genuine product key on it.

7th Dwarf

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The box has a Windows7 booklet one side and the Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit on the other side. If there is a hidden 32 bit version on this disk, that would be perfect.

My Pentium 4 with 3 gig RAM will handle 32 bit. The box has a Genuine product key on it.

7th Dwarf
Yea, you've got an OEM version. Only one disc which is your x64 disc. x86 is not on that disc.

Download the 32bit version from here: Windows 7 Home Premium x86 ISO http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X15-65732.iso

Then burn the ISO image to a DVD at 4X speed using ImgBurn.

The product key you have will work! I checked with a couple of friends who work at MS.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Did I state that ANY KEY would work for ANY version of Windows 7? No, I did not.

If you have a KEY for Windows 7 Professional, then that KEY will only work for the Professional version either in x86 or x64. The MS Genuine Product Key is LOCKED to the version one bought, ie., Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate.

I just thought this would be useful to people who are "system builders" and others who do multiple installs. It would help reduce their clutter of DVDs.

Is it legal? I suppose that's walking a fine line. As long as one has paid for their Product Key, then there is no issue.

Since your original statement did not imply that this was for builders / testers only and seemed to be extolling the possibility of everyone getting whatever version of Windows 7 that they wanted regardless of what they purchased....this is why I questioned further.

Reaction score
The .iso for Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit loaded perfectly over XP. The purchased key (64 bit version) worked too. Loading drivers today.

Thank you for your help here.

Dwarf the 7th.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Since your original statement did not imply that this was for builders / testers only and seemed to be extolling the possibility of everyone getting whatever version of Windows 7 that they wanted regardless of what they purchased....this is why I questioned further.
Pardon me, I just assumed that most folks would know that a product key is tied to the version of Windows their using. I wasn't trying to be flippant.

My humble apologies if I confused anyone! :adore: :)

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The .iso for Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit loaded perfectly over XP. The purchased key (64 bit version) worked too. Loading drivers today.

Thank you for your help here.

Dwarf the 7th.
Sir, I am glad that I was able to be of help for you! I'm sure that's quite a relief for you and you pocketbook!

Enjoy Windows 7!

Reaction score
Sir, I am glad that I was able to be of help for you! I'm sure that's quite a relief for you and you pocketbook!

Enjoy Windows 7!
Yes. Dwarf's pocketbook is a little short these days. :rolleyes:

Able to load compatible NVIDIA and sound drivers. Having trouble with an old D Link DWL-G510 though.

Will pop around in this forum and Google before giving up.

Anyone with a working wireless adapter model (Windows 7 32 bit drivers available)?

Ask a Question