SOLVED Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO Image Downloads

Reaction score
Pardon in advance for what may sound like a naïve question, but I downloaded a 64-bit W7 Home Premium file in its entirety within the last 24 hours and now I can't find it. I'd followed your suggestion of also installing ImageBurn (waited until after the .iso file was completely downloaded), which, upon opening, showed the errant file in its log but try as I might with numerous searches on this computer was unable to locate a 3+GB file!

I have subsequently re-downloaded the .iso zipped file and have my fingers crossed that it too will not mysteriously disappear.

Have you heard or read of a similar issue with any other members?

OK. Am working now on the iso file which I opened in PowerArchiver (said to be capable of burning iso files). There was an added read-me text file:
This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system
that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

Am still waiting while PowerArchiver processes the file.

Another question dawned on me: was the size of the file such that it was hidden from view in Windows Explorer or the default Downloads folder, and if so, what tweak or setting might you suggest to alter the view so I might be able to delete the first successful download and this newer one (provided I can get it on to a DVD?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you actually get a message that the file completed downloading? The reason I ask is because it is so large that it often does not complete successfully, or if you accidentally close the download it may be cancelled and deleted.

What browser did you use to download? Some browsers allow you to select the destination while others automatically direct the file to your download folder. So your download folder is where I suggest you look. You could also do a search for X17-*

Reaction score
I use Firefox as the default browser. Both downloads took more than 15 but less than 20 minutes, and both had completed successfully, as witnessed by the status bar and downloads folder icon in Firefox's menu bar both being in the green. Download destination for Firefox is the Windows download folder.

While I was unable to locate the original download I paid particular attention to the second, which I moved to My Documents.

Dunno why I was unable to find the first one, having used bits and pieces of the second file name to locate it. As it turns out, the first *was* found in the original Windows downloads folder; I then deleted it. What's peculiar is that it wasn't visible in the Recycle Bin. Is that normal, or did the large size too big for the Bin? A folowup Diskcleanup and CCleaner sweep didn't show a total cleaned of anywhere near the size of the iso.

Thanks for the prompt reply, TrainableMan. I appreciate it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Depending on the size of a file and your Recycle bin allocations it could actually be deleted rather than go to Recycle. However, in my experience you should get a message that the file is too large to go to the recycle bin and will actually be deleted, and you have to confirm that is OK.

Reaction score
Good point on the size properties of the Recycle Bin. It was set for a max of much smaller than the W7 iso file. However, there hadn't been an alert or warning that it was too large. I'm concerned that it truly did get removed and not hanging around taking up 3GB of my C drive.

At this point the second download is still where I put it. Now to try to find a disc that'll play nice with ImageBurn, since that error message from PowerArchiver's got me gun shy of using it again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe that PowerArchiver just has to do with the format settings that need to be used to write the DVD properly. But if you use IMGBurn it will automatically use the right format to create a properly formatted bootable DVD.

Reaction score
Using IMGBurn was a snap. A simple right click on the zip file icon brought up IB in the context menu. From there it was easy-peasy!

I've been a Mac user since the platform went Intel but recently replaced an antique XP box with a new(er) one with Windows 7 and wound up loading paid programs I'd previously used prior to moving to OS X. Old habits and all, but I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of IB, thanks to your previous suggestion, TM!

Thanks again!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Only about 1 in 10,000 computers will have problems with the original SP1 at the start of this thread. So for 99.99% of the people, either will work fine. But why take the chance? You may as well just download SP-1(U) Media Refresh edition.

Reaction score
Folks, thanks in advance.

My laptop HDD failed up on Wednesday (clicking noise). Was using Win 7 HP 64 on a Toshiba R630. Was planning anyway to move to SSD so acquired and installed a Samsung EVO 840 250G drive.

Have downloaded the HP64 iso twice and burned to DVD 3 times using IMGBurn. Each time I try and install I get the "drivers" needed message.

Downloaded Professional as well.

Tried the Win download tool and in both cases it tells me it's not a valid iso.

Any advice before I go out and buy Win8.1? Laptop is required for work presentations on Monday...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I hope you have your Product Key, because you need it. And since your license was for Home Premium there was no point in downloading Professional, the key only works for one version. It used to be common for the Product key to be on a sticker on the machine but newer machines no longer do this. Hopefully, when your old hard drive was working you wrote down your product key because getting it from the registry is the easiest method. It is now common practice to embed the keyin the BIOS in a SLIC table and there may be small programs to extract it from there but I've never used them personally.

Now on to your error message ... the W7 Installation comes with many drivers but it doesn't promise to have them all. SSDs were not common when W7 came out so you have to supply those drivers (Also true of RAID drives and USB3). You can put the drivers in a folder on the installation DVD if you know how to edit the ISO before it is burned, or simply put them on another DVD or flash drive and insert that and browse to the appropriate folder when drivers are requested.

Reaction score
I hope you have your Product Key, because you need it. And since your license was for Home Premium there was no point in downloading Professional, the key only works for one version. It used to be common for the Product key to be on a sticker on the machine but newer machines no longer do this. Hopefully, when your old hard drive was working you wrote down your product key because getting it from the registry is the easiest method. It is now common practice to embed the keyin the BIOS in a SLIC table and there may be small programs to extract it from there but I've never used them personally.

Now on to your error message ... the W7 Installation comes with many drivers but it doesn't promise to have them all. SSDs were not common when W7 came out so you have to supply those drivers (Also true of RAID drives and USB3). You can put the drivers in a folder on the installation DVD if you know how to edit the ISO before it is burned, or simply put them on another DVD or flash drive and insert that and browse to the appropriate folder when drivers are requested.
Thanks

I have product key - sticker on underside

I tried in wife's identical laptop and was told source files were corrupt - so not just a missing driver issue if that even is a problem

Downloaded ISO tool couple of times, told not valid

Anyhoo running out of time - Bought Windows8.

Reaction score
is it possible to get Win 7 home Premium x64 with latest updates until 2014?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
nope, W7 SP-1(U) is the latest official release and it is about 2 years old.

Reaction score
Greatly appriciate swift reply

So shall I have 2 install last offical relaese and then update windows maunally?

really dont like installing 100 updates :(

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Besides buying Windows 8.1, I don't know a way to get a newer version from Microsoft.

Reaction score
Greatly appriciate swift reply

So shall I have 2 install last offical relaese and then update windows maunally?

really dont like installing 100 updates :(
Yes, which is one reason why I am pissed at Microsoft for not releasing a SP2 for Win7. I hate Win8 and don't see that changing for Win9. Currently procrastinating trying Linux, but at the same time waiting on Steam OS before I start learning to live without MS. My attitude for MS drastically changed during the release of Win8 and the announcement that a SP2 for Win7 would not be released. But yet MS has pledged to support Win7 through 2020, what a joke!

I'm glad I learned how to make system images of my own. I'm less dependent on Windows Update, when I have them backup in a system image.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Microsoft is not making any money if they don't sell the newer OS. Microsoft wants people installing Win8, not reinstalling Win7. Obviously it isn't ideal for Win7 users but it makes perfect business sense and I don't find their position that unusual or surprising. At this stage in the life cycle of W7 they are primarily security updates (and maybe pushes of new versions of IE or the Bing toolbar).

IMO I think when they bring the menu bar back with Windows 8.1 second update (due in August) that a lot more people will be comfortable upgrading Until then, if you want to reinstall Win7 often, then you should create a system image for restoration. But at least the first time before you can make your own image, you accept that updates are needed for two years of security issues.

UPDATE: Microsoft changed their minds and pulled the plans to add the menu back into W8.

Reaction score
SP stands for service pack. It doesn't matter what the services are, they should be packaged yearly. If in fact the OS is going to maintain service support.

Ask a Question