Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown

Reaction score
I have been getting a Windows 7 error since June 2nd. The error reads:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. A problem caused Windows to stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solution is available.

I will either be in the middle of checking my emails/Facebook or trying to do my school work and it will just go to a black screen with a blue box with a message. I have taken pics of it with my phone to have some sort of physical proof of the message. I have even taken my computer and put it back to factory settings, thinking that it will help. It still does it. What can I do to get this fixed. I can't keep having my laptop rebooting while I'm in the middle of doing my schoolwork. I'm in my last term and I can't afford to screw it up.

Reaction score

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Is it an HP Pavilion D7 or DV7? I don't see a D7.

For starters you have not upgraded to W7 Service Pack 1. You should run windows update and install the updates it finds, especially SP1.

AVG has been known to cause BSODs on some machines; so make sure that is up-to-date and if problems persist I may even ask you to completely uninstall it ... but for now please update to SP1 and see if the issue persists.

Post any new DMPs after you have installed SP1.

Reaction score
I am having an issue with getting the SP1 to download. I have gone to websites to do it maunually instead of through the Windows updater. No luck. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would not recommend you get it from any website but Microsoft. What you might want to do is use a Download Manager. A download manager will allow you to resume large downloads that get cut off (if the server site allows it, which Microsoft does).

Microsoft SP1 Update

I've not tried it myself but Flashget Download Manager seems to be ranked pretty highly.

Reaction score
Oh thank you! I will give it a try tonight when I get home from work. I don't have a lot of time right now. I will let you know how it works. :)

Reaction score
I have tried it several times and it won't install. I've downloaded the Flashget as well. This is the error I'm getting.

Installation was not successful

A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please download and run "Check for System Update Readiness" tool at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=122602

If the "Check for System Update Readiness" tool doesn't fix the problem, visit the Microsoft website for more information. (Details)

Error: ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND(0x80070002)

Does this mean something?? Thanks!

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It's possible your hard drive is out of space or damaged or maybe you have a virus or a firewall or router blocking downloads because you aren't getting the file.

To check you hard drive for space, open windows explorer and right-click on (C: ), and choose Properties, select the "General" Tab. How much free space do you have?

While still in Properties choose the "Tools" tab. And click the "Check Now" button to scan the drive for errors.

I doubt it is a virus but you could run a complete virus scan to help make sure.

If your firewall or router are blocking downloads then you shouldn't be able to download any files. Can you download other things successfully?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have 221GB of free space available on my laptop. I also just reset my computer to factory settings this past weekend, thinking that would fix the issue I was having.

I have been able to download the other files that are needed for the computer. It's the Service Pack that I'm having issues with. It keeps saying it can't find the one file. If I do it through Windows, it will tell me that it's missing a certain file as well and that I can get more details by going to Microsoft website. It tells me that I need to either turn off my AVG/firewall or run a scan. I do remember when I had to download it before the reset that I had to do it manually at that time as well. I just can't remember where I got the download.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
From a command prompt, please run:
SFC /scannow
just to verify your system files aren't corrupt.

Which version did you download? When you click on the Microsoft SP1 Update Download Button it gives you several choices as to which files you want to download. Don't choose the first option because that is quite large (designed to work on all machines); better you choose the correct version for you.

Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? Scroll to the very bottom and get either windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe (if you have 32-bit) or windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe (for 64-bit). It is highly unlikely you have a Itanium 64-bit machine but if you do you would need that version instead.

Reaction score
Not sure what's going on but now it won't allow me to run the CMD command you asked me to run. It says I'm not the admin when I have myself marked as admin.

You have been a great help but nothing is wanting to work in trying to get this fixed. I'm really looking at giving up on it. Again, thank you for all of your help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try this, when you start the command prompt use your right-mouse click and choose "run as an administrator". Then run the SFC /scannow

Also did you run the anti-virus scan, I like to always know a virus is not the issue.

When I think about it, when you try to run the W7 SP1 update (exe) you downloaded, it is also a good idea to right-click on that and run it as an administrator as well.

Reaction score
Sorry, I haven't contacted you in awhile. I've been busy with school and work. I am still having issues downloading W7 SP1. It brings up an error. This error, when I look it up, says that I'm missing a file. Do you know how I would be able to get this file to download the SP1?

I have attached the screen print of the error so you know what the error is. Thank you!

Reaction score
It's not allowing me to attach. I have written the error below:

Installation was not successful

A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please download and rune the "Check for System Update Readiness" tool at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlin/?linkId=122602

If the "Check for System Update Readiness" tool doesn't fix the problem, visit the Microsoft website for more information. (Details)

Error: ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND(0x80070002)

Go online to learn more about this issue.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Did you download & try the media refresh version?

Ask a Question