Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It is W7 SP1 with one extra hotfix for a very limited number of computers which have issues with the regular W7 SP1. I don't know if it will help you or not but it's possible your computer is one of those rare cases it was designed for.

Reaction score
It doesn't give me the option to choose that. It just says download and it downloads what version it has.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Reaction score
I downloaded the one I needed but i didn't realize that when I ran the disc it would completely reformat my computer back to factory. I lost all my school work. Now, when I did the updates this time around, it's stuck in a loop when it boots up. in the middle of restarting, my computer shut off and then rebooted with a blue screen. It continues this loop and I can't get it to stop. I'm having to borrow a friend's computer to do my schooling. How do i get my computer to stop the loop??

The error message is:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_ EQUAL.

This is on the blue screen each time it loops.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try this: Shut down, put in the installation DVD again and then boot the computer to the DVD. Go to the installation screen again and run the "start-up repair" option in the bottom left corner.

It could also be that you need the latest drivers. What make & model computer do you have? You should be able to get the drivers from the manufacturers website and if you tell me make and model I can help point you there.

Also which OS version (Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate) and bit-size (32 or 64) did you install? Many drivers are 32 or 64-bit specific, so get the right one.

As for your data, unless you completely reformatted before install, it can likely be recovered from windows.old by running a specific fix-it tool from Microsoft found HERE. But your computer needs to be stable so don't do it if your computer is still constantly blue screening.

Reaction score
Computer model: HP Pavilion DV7 3079wm 64 bit

I didn't reformat anything. After I installed the disc, it's fine. It started the blue screen loop after I was trying to do the Windows Updates that were needing to be done. There were 148 of the important updates. While it was restarting to configure, it shut down/turned off because of a Windows error.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Like I said, try booting again from the Installation DVD and run "start-up repair" to see if it helps.

It's also quite possible there is a windows update that is loading a driver which is causing problems. I suggest you disable the Windows Update option to treat recommended updates the same as critical updates (because that is how driver updates are slipped in with your Windows Updates).
WinUpdateSettings.jpg

Get your drivers directly from HP, HERE.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Christina, It is possible you have hardware problems. Doesn't your school have any techs that could take a look at your computer? As more and more things seem to go wrong I think it is a good idea to turn to local help because they can physically see what is going on where I obviously can't.

As for disabling the updates, yes you have to log in first so that needs resolved but I was hoping the start-up repair would fix that but now with your "won't start" issue I'm thinking this all may be because you might have hardware problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My schooling is all online but a friend of mine just sent me an email stating they have a friend that he may be able to help. But I do appreciate the effort you have made to help me. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Check the hard disk for bad and corrupt sectors. Repair them with the help of Disk Check-Up utility. Here are the essential proedures:

1. Double click My Computer desktop icon.
2. Right click a partition, select Properties.
3. Click Tools ->> Check Now.
4. Start the actual process.

Ask a Question