SOLVED Windows 7 problem or maybe not

Reaction score
I just noticed that the "My Pictures Directory" has been copied into the "Music Directory" as a sub-folder. Has this always been the case? If not how can I delete the sub-folder, it's taking up a huge amount of disc space and is a duplicate it would seem. I tried to delete it but found I can't either delete or move it. Now What?
DG

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
This was most likely caused by an accidental drag & drop operation.

The first thing you need to determine is if it really is a copy or if there is simply a pointer from music to the pictures.

Open Windows Explorer and Right-click on the Pictures folder that is within the Music. If you go to the General Tab does it say shortcut or file folder? If it says shortcut then understand, your data is not duplicated so it is not using more space and we simply need to figure out how to delete the pointer. NOTE: If it is a shortcut and you delete files then you would actually be deleting them from the original location and they would disappear from both locations so, be careful with delete.

Reaction score
I right clicked on "My Pictures" within the 'Music Directory" clicked on the properties, clicked on the General Tab, the only info is "Type" Multiple. It doesn't say whether it's a short-cut or file folder??

Don G

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Could you post a screen shot of the General tab?

Is there a "Location" tab when you right-click & choose the properties? If so, screenshot and post that as well please.

Reaction score
I right clicked "My Music" , clicked properties, and got a drop down that showed the sub-folders that included "My Pictures" and "Public Pictures". There was an option to "Remove". I high lighted each and clicked 'Remove" I guess my problem is solved. "My Pictures" remain the the Pictures library where they are supposed to be.and they no longer show up in the Music directory. Don't have a clue how they got there.

Don G

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most common cause is an accidental drag & drop.

So it sounds like it was just a pointer in your music ... good thing you did not delete them or they would be gone from both places.

Glad you were able to get it worked out.

Ask a Question