Windows7 Home Premium DVD problem

Reaction score
I resurrected a HP Desktop 2010 with Windows 7, 64-bit, installed clean-up software, used existing means, i.e., got it cleaned up, deleted all old files I created, and felt comfortable with keeping Windows 7 (since I HATE Win-10). However, the DVD drive wouldn't read, I could hear it start but it would not show up as working. I wanted to DVD install my HP Inkjet, but it wouldn't read that DVD or any other. So I switched, put a newer one in (2012). (I had already tried updating drivers from just plugging it in, but that didn't work.) Yesterday, I bought an external DVD Writer (LG Slim Portable DVD Writer) plug-and-play. Although I could hear it start up, it wasn't recognized. So I plugged in an Ad DVD that came with it, went to boot install, and it came up that way, but I was still unable to get drivers. So, terribly frustrated, I thought I would reinstall Win-7 64-bit as a Repair, but the repair was limited and that didn't work, and I didn't want to do a new install and wipe out all files. So, now that I had pulled all of my limited hair out, I thought, OK, the new DVD Writer (at boot) showed it was a 32bit on both entries showing, and even though I tried to get this problem fixed by lg.com, those downloads didn't help either. So, by now, with both arms secured in my straight-jacket, I wondered if perhaps I could cure these ills by installing from a Win-7 32-bit DVD. So, before I seek medication for insanity, can anyone tell me what the heck I need to do to cure this on my own???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
As for using a W7 32bit DVD to reinstall over a W7 64bit OS, you CAN'T. To go from 64bit to 32bit (or visa versa) requires a fresh install as in format the drive (take a back up first!) & install everything: OS, programs, different drivers, everything.

As for your external DVD I assume it is USB so as long as you plug it into a properly rated USB slot it should work. 3.0, 2.0 etc.

Ask a Question