Windows 7 Hibernation - Discussion

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not always turned on - on 2 of my machines it was disabled by default, but enabled on my laptop. I'll add a note on how to disable it in the article :)

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
My Hibernation is not turned on by default, but does Windows 7 come out of Hibernation any faster then XP or Vista ? (i gave up using it because it was so slow)

Reaction score
Thats great! I have been wondering where the Hiberbate option was, I have been searching high and low, and your tutorial has done the job - thanks!

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hm, I never really gave it much thought. But now that I have 6GB of RAM... having a 6GB hiberfil.sys file is just silly if I was using an SSD where space can become an issue.

And some people are using as much as 12GB and 16GB of RAM... that's going to be one huge file! I think I'll be leaving Hibernation disabled from now on. Thanks for the article & idea. :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Maybe, for the sceptics, there is one major feature of hibernation, which can, for some, make it a preference to sleep mode.
The chances of OS corruption, during sleep mode, exist to a great extent. They are negligible in hibernation.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If I'm not going to use a Computer for any length of time i turn it off, no chance of any corruption and I'm not wasting electricity ... that i pay for ;).

Reaction score
If I'm not going to use a Computer for any length of time i turn it off, no chance of any corruption and I'm not wasting electricity ... that i pay for ;).
Hibernation doesn't use up electricity. All memory is stored in the Hibernation file so the computer can be shut down and then resumed when turned back on.

So were you referring to hibernation or standby?

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
@ Clifford, standby or just leaving it on / running

@ davehc interesting Email

Maybe I'm out of date but if I'm going to be out all day or overnight (as i am when i go and see friends) i prefer to close my computers down and off at the mains, only thing left on is the router :)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Why not? I certainly can spare a couple of minutes, at most, to start up my computer in the morning. (whilst I grab a cup of coffee!) I dare not switch off my router because I have had a bad experience with my server a couple of years ago. They were grabbing my bandwidth when I was off the air. I had two occasions when I actually had to ring them to regain a connection! I may have scared them off now, but!!!.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
erm now you lost me :confused:

Its not a good idea to keep switching off your router as some ISPs see an on / off connection as a problem and may cap the line (lower your speed) and (i know with SKY in the UK you would be subject to DLM testing) ... (DLM = Dynamic Line Management)

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Hi Veedaz. The "Why not" was agreeing with what you had posted. Sorry if it was too cryptic!
The rest of the post was a comment pretty much the same as your more recent post. In my case, the ISP went to the more extreme measure of grabbing the lot.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I see :), Some ISPs also cap if you use Torrent sites (and not all torrents are illegal, CCleaner freeware can be downloaded as torrent) so its a good idea to use a download manager that offers encryption ;).

nof

Reaction score
Is Hibernation not turned on by default?

It is now. So many things in Ctrl Panel will not open I am wondering about a 2nd installation.

We did not have all this trouble with W 3.1 or progressing through to XP. Vista was hopeless for me that is why I wanted W 7.

Thank you for your interest

Reaction score
power option problem?

Please leave any feedback about the Windows 7 Hibernation article in this thread.
If I put my computer in "Sleep" or allow it to go into Hibernation, the next time I wake it I lose features. Some how it doesn't power up right. Aero, audio, screen saver and other options are lost until I do a restart.
I just installed Windows 7 and am very disappointed with it. Why isn't MS doing something about this?

Reaction score
Issue with hibernation

I have followed all the steps in this guide. When I press the hibernation button, all peripherals turn off, and my computer begins to hibernate. It then instantly turns on and "resumes windows". Any tips?

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I have 2 laptops at home and another ffrom work, and never had any issues with sleep/hibernation.

Ask a Question