Windows 7 Hibernation - Discussion

Reaction score
Does any one know if deleting the hidden file "hiberfil.sys" will make Windows 7 unstable/inoperable? It's a large waste of space as I don't enable Hibernation, and want to delete this "snapshot" of my computer!

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply, was just wondering if I could recoup the 3 GB of space taken up by this hidden file by deleting it. You advised against deleting it, just disabling it. I already have it disabled, but would like to get rid of it altogether, as long as it doesn't effect the performance of windows!

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply, was just wondering if I could recoup the 3 GB of space taken up by this hidden file by deleting it. You advised against deleting it, just disabling it. I already have it disabled, but would like to get rid of it altogether, as long as it doesn't effect the performance of windows!
It shouldn't affect the performance of Windows at all. And, after rebooting, the file should have been deleted by the system, freeing up 3GBs.

Reaction score
It shouldn't affect the performance of Windows at all. And, after rebooting, the file should have been deleted by the system, freeing up 3GBs.

that's right, as when you disable hibernation through command prompt the spaced utilized by it is freed up & file is deleted. it is only back on to your system when you again install os...:cool:

Ask a Question