windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
with windows update disabled I managed to get almost 2 full days without freezing. but the freezing is back and now they seem to be occurring whenever norton 360 starts running background tasks. 360 is supposed to be completely compatible with windows 7, so wtf? I don't understand. I've gone at this every which way and still, the system is freezing. Where is service pack one and when is it coming? this is definitely the OS.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
That's all right. It froze a little while later, while idling any way. I'm going to buy a Mac. This shit is annoying and has consumed the better part of 2 months. I'll try disabling windows update and if that doesn't work than I'm going to buy a Mac and to hell with windows.
Well, its apparent you have a "lemon computer" take it back and either get your money back or swap for another unit.

A lot of what you're describing in NOT Windows 7 fault.

SP1 will not be a universal panacea for all these people who are having freezing issues. I find that a lot of problems such as freezing can be traced back to bad RAM, CPU overheating, RAM not seated fully, etc.

Or you can just go ahead and buy the Mac and then bash Windows 7 on the Mac forums.

It's your prerogative.

OR you can bite the bullet and re-install Windows 7 and make sure the drivers are loaded in the proper sequence. Sometimes when drivers are not loaded properly problems will pop up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Or you can just go ahead and buy the Mac and then bash Windows 7 on the Mac forums.
I needed a laugh, Thanks Nibiru. :)

I do wish we could get to the bottom of all these freeze issues. Its not easy instructing or advising through a forum. Spare parts are always helpful and usually never available.

Reaction score
Hmmm. How very elitist of you Nibiru, to assume, that just because someone is in this forum looking for an answer and maybe venting a little, that they aren't every bit as smart or as experienced as you. I have been building my own machines for myself and for others for a little more than 10 years. I built this machine and originally had XP running on it without a problem. It never ever froze and it never had a BSOD. I put windows 7 on my machine and it freezes. . . often. I've only BSODed twice but that's 2 times too many in my opinion, for what is supposed to be "The best windows operating system yet." The only difference is 2 gigs of RAM and without those 2 gigs, guess what. It still freezes. My cpu idles at 29 degrees and does not go over 38 degrees under a full load. I've checked every power cap on the board and graphics card. I've tested my power supply. I've run memtest and prime95 with no issues. Now logically thinking, if I have ruled out everything else, which I have, what is left? I don't like it any more than you do and the fact of the matter is that this OS has huge potential but until it is running correctly, I'm going to have to call a spade, a spade.
Oh and for the record, I know that a service pack won't necessarily be the answer for those of us who are having this issue, but at least it is something to look forward to. So next time you're thinking of tearing someone down for their opinion you should make sure you have all of the facts first. I'm here because this problem has no clear cut answer that I can see, but maybe someone else will see something in something that I post and they will see the answer. Now, isn't that what these boards are for?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm here because this problem has no clear cut answer that I can see, but maybe someone else will see something in something that I post and they will see the answer. Now, isn't that what these boards are for?
Yes.
And even moreso when microsoft won't even acknowledge the existence of the problem... I've yet to hear a single comment from microsoft about these freezes.

Reaction score
New stability update from MS. I haven't had a freeze since the day before yesterday. Will keep you posted.

Reaction score
New stability update from MS. I haven't had a freeze since the day before yesterday. Will keep you posted.

Interesting, because my system STARTED freezing about 5 days ago.

My Win7 History:
I got W7 on release, along with a shiny new Intel X-25M SSD drive. Had trouble getting W7 to finish installing on the new drive, tried several things, and eventually removed the SSD and installed on my old HDD and system ran great until I reinstalled the SSD as a slave drive in the system. Freezes began again.

I tried all the suggestions from Intel's site, and eventually gave up, asked Intel for a replacement or refund, which they refused by the way, so I own a nice $240 paperweight.

System ran flawlessly on my old HDD for 2-3 months, up until late last week or so I think it was.

My system has begun freezing for no apparent reason. I booted it up last night, left it sitting at the desktop to test it, and when I returned 15 minutes later, it was frozen.
Other times it's frozen at the W7 booting logo, another just after getting to desktop and opening my Windows Live Mail.

Before these past few days I could run and leave my system running for days without a single issue, including playing and hosting Call of Duty Modern Warfare games.

So I will keep tinkering until I find a solution, and keep reading here for suggestions of things to try.

Good luck everyone, let's get this issue resolved.

PS - I am running 2 new Dell Optiplex systems at work with W7 Pro x64 on them, and they have been flawless so far. Only been 2 weeks so far, but all has been good.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Interesting, because my system STARTED freezing about 5 days ago.
It figures MS would fix the problem a lot of us were having and cause a new problem for others. I'm really not surprised.

Last edited:

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Hm, interesting. I had freezing issues on the Beta and had to re-install several times cause it got so bad. The same thing happened on the RC, but when I upgraded to the RTM, I did a long (er) format instead of a quick format. It's working great now, but I don't know if that was the solution.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Some of you older forum members probably remember my threads LOL...

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure my issues are Win7 after all. System sometimes will freeze during POST, even froze on me this morning while I was adjusting the drive order in the BIOS, just froze up.

Also noticed that since Tuesday when I had my system out and unplugged to re-seat all components, that I am getting the Motherboard logo screen and quick boot, both of which were previously disabled.

Going to changed my board battery and reset the machine and see if that helps, otherwise I may just have a defunct MB.

Coincidence or not, my UPS went bad 2 days ago, so I'm wondering if I got spiked.

Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure my issues are Win7 after all. System sometimes will freeze during POST, even froze on me this morning while I was adjusting the drive order in the BIOS, just froze up.

Also noticed that since Tuesday when I had my system out and unplugged to re-seat all components, that I am getting the Motherboard logo screen and quick boot, both of which were previously disabled.

Going to changed my board battery and reset the machine and see if that helps, otherwise I may just have a defunct MB.

Coincidence or not, my UPS went bad 2 days ago, so I'm wondering if I got spiked.
Sounds like memory, power supply or motherboard.

Reaction score
Windows 7 Freeze Solved fo me

Having tried everything I could find on numerous forums, Windows stil froze on boot and when eventually managing to log in I experienced sporadic freezes maybe after a few minutes or up to 20 hours.

I have a Compaq SR1280UK desktop and whilst updating the bios and chipset drivers certainly helped in reducing the problem, it did not cure the problem totally.

I then replaced the power supply with a high quality Enermax supply and have not had a freeze since. I have been running the PC for a solid 7 days with no freeze and rebooted a number of times, again with no freeze.

The power supply appears to have been the problem for me, so whilst it may solve everyones problem I hope this helps.

Ask a Question