windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Kernel power error in event viewer. Is this a generic error that could be caused by other errors?
Lewie

Reaction score
Could you give some more detail about your problem?

Reaction score
I have ECS G3ITM motherboard. NVidia GE force 7900gtx video card. Loaded windows 7. It freezes intermittently. sometimes when I am playing diablo sometimes when it is just open. I looked in event viewer and saw critical error kernel power.
Lewie

Reaction score
can you post the error codes? or a screenshot of event veiwer?

There is a website where you can lookup the solution with the event ID and source

http://www.eventid.net/

I have never heard of this error but that website is a good place to start

Reaction score
after reading the driver thing I downloaded a new video driver where upon I got a power supply error. I had to order a sli ps so I will let you know in a couple weeks if that fixes all.
Thanks Lewie

Reaction score
Kernel power error is the result of hitting reset or doing anything to disrupt power and rebooting the system without a proper shut down. Obviously if it freezes and you reboot it wasn't shut down correctly. I'm seeing a lot of people with this problem and they are all pointing at a dubious error just because it is critical. This error is only a by product of the real issue. Now if anyone knows where the real problem is and how to fix it, I'm all ears.

Reaction score
Hi. C:\Windows\Minidump

Zip the contents there and attach to a post using the paperclip.

I can have a look for you.

Reaction score
That folder is empty, this is freeze, there is no dump, I think this is because there is no BSOD. However Regcure did find almost 2200 Registry errors and it is a full version so it's not like it is trying to sell itself to me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
FIXED .. finally .. after days of reading forums and visits to Best Buy to upgrade hardware... this solution costs nothing so hopefully it will work for you.

#0 .. Before doing anything else make sure your drivers are all up to date. I tried this solution first and it didn't help at all but it may help some folks and its a good thing to do anyway.

I found that most of my problems occurred when using P2P applications such as Bittorrent and Limewire. Changing these programs to run as Administrator and also run with Windows Vista Compatibility GREATLY reduced the amount of freezes.

No freezes since finding and making this change.
Power options. Apparently the default setting in Windows 7 wasn't providing enough power for my system to opperate properly, such as when running P2P applications, even Firefox at times. Solution is simple.. Search for "Power Options" from the Start Menu search. You will likely see that your current power option is "Balanced". Balanced is great if you like your system to freeze all the time. Change it to "High performance". Note that you may need to click "Show Additional plans" to see this option.

I hope this helps someone. This seems to have fixed my Windows 7 problems. Also, since I found the Power options solution last it is possible that this solution will work in and of itself so you might just try it first.

I have YET to have a single freeze since changing my Power options. Before implementing #2 I was freezing every 20 - 30 minutes or so. Before #1 it was within minutes of running my usual apps. Ultimately I think that the Power Options is probably the TRUE solution.

Reaction score
Not it.

I've had my system set to performance since the first freeze. While it does seem to help lessen the freezes it does not stop them. Recently I'm noticing that this issue occurs more when streaming or starting up. I think it has something to do with the nVidia Ethernet or Network Interface. I can't be sure until they release a new driver for it. Is anyone else running a nVidia network interface? I'm not using their network traffic software that has the hidden firewall, so that's not it, before anyone suggests that. But if we all have this in common then we may be able to rule out everything else. A new NIC is an easy fix.

Reaction score
@TorrentG: I finally blue screened last night and I have a .dmp file. Can you still take a look? maybe it would shed some light on the situation. Thanks.

Attachments

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
To the Moderators and Administrators:

There are now FOUR threads dealing with Window 7 freeze problems. This seems a little redundant, to say the least. Ad Infinitum, ad nauseum.

Perhaps these thread could be merged into one thread? Just curious, and perhaps help those in those four separate threads.

Thanks,
Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Quix, I ended up doing an "In place Update" from my windows 7 disk. It seems to have worked. Thank you though.
Edit: Froze while attempting to stream music. Apparently this is a wide spread issue. Hopefully MS will step up and fix it. . . . . soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I even went and registered on this site, just so I could write a reply.
-----------------------------------------------------------

I think we're all having the same problem. Let's assume that.

I think the event viewer's "kernel-power" critical error means nothing. We can probably all agree to that. Just that we shut off the computer when it froze.

My computer IS freezing randomly. Much the same as you gentlemen. Especially, it freezes when I let it idle. But it has also froze while in use, of course.
I have also previously set the power to "High Performance" and have made it such that I am killing the earth with maximum performance.

Previously, I thought it might be my RAM (its some horrible OCZ 4GB stuff that needs a certain voltage and timing/latency change to work well).
But now I'm seeing a new trend.
And, sadly to say, I think it might be the one thing we all have in common:

Windows 7.

I can't confirm this. It's just a theory. But I don't see anything else we have in common. Mine is the 64bit OS, if that helps for similarity and conspiracy. I actually don't know anything about Windows 7. I'm not sure why it's been released so close to Vista's release. In an entirely similar way, I'm not sure why it seems the exact same as Vista. Perhaps the OS is just coming out when the computer world isnt prepared for it. Things like having "two program directories" seems ridiculous and awkward, and adds to the needed adaptability that might be causing our computers to freeze in confusion, like a young boy in tights standing on the stage of a ballet performance.
But, then again, this is a theory from a guy who knows virtually nothing about computing.

ANYWAY, I took andrew's suggestions, and i've updated my drivers (even though this is a completely new machine).
I also google searched "run programs as administrator" and now run my main programs as administrator (i also removed UAC), assuming this somehow will help.

So, I will post back here and the world know if my computer continues to freeze. Maybe we can figure something out. Or install Windows XP.

Or, better yet, go buy a mac. Sigh.

Reaction score
Compaq SR1280UK Desktop

I have a Compaq SR1280UK desktop PC and am having similar random freezing issues. I have update the chipset drivers, bios, soundcard drivers, video drivers, changed antivirus software but still have random freezes.

Recently the PC ran without freezes for 24 hours with no programs running, however within 20 minutes of opening Microsoft outlook 2003 and Firefox the PC froze when typing a post to this forum.

Totally out of ideas can anyone help?

Reaction score
Wow! You got 2003 to install on your machine? What kind of wizard are you? I had to upgrade to 2007. 2003 just wasn't happening, I got it to install but it wouldn't even open on my rig. I think that the main problem is drivers. I'd like to know what programs people are running on their freezing machines. I just did a fresh install and my computer was running great, until I tried to install Acrobat 9 pro extended. It actually froze at the end of the initial install before I could click "finish" to end the initial install and install the 64 bit add on. As it turns out, I had the same exact thing happen the first time. I just thought it was a fluke. I restarted my computer and it froze again, almost immediately. I restarted again and ran the system recovery to before I installed acrobat. Then I explored the acrobat disk, went directly to the acrobat installer and ran it as an administrator. It completed the install, installed the 64 bit add-on and is running fine again. I'll keep you guys posted, but I think the glitch is with the digital signature security feature of Windows 7. I think it is causing the lock ups and incompatibility issues with older programs and program drivers. I'll post back in a few days with an update.

Reaction score
I agree with the assumption that the problem is Windows 7 (proof: system doesn't freeze on any other operating system).

If the power settings, drivers (and that DriverMax software people have been recommending, however all recommendations I've seen come from people with only a single post to their name, and this is a pay software... So only use this at your own risk... My feeling on the matter is that while it's not a scam aimed at getting you to install a virus of something like that, it's still a scam in the sense that drivers don't in general cause this type of problem) don't solve your freezing problem, try the following:

https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-random-freezes-potential-solution-t3275.html

And don't buy a Mac... You already paid for your machine, the problem is solvable, and Macs are way overpriced. If you ask me, the hassle to fix this issue (took me maybe an hour once I figured out how) is a lot better than an extra 2-4 grand on the Mac equivalent of my PC.

Back to the opening statement of this post:
I agree that the problem is Windows 7.
Namely, it somehow corrupts its own services` .dll files, which result in the freezes we're all experiencing. This is why safemode usually works fine while normal mode freezes left and right. The faulty services are disabled in safemode.
Now the fix for a corrupted service file isn't trivial, and it's a total PITA considering how you must go through your system directories and force ownership and permissions changes just so you could get the system to repair itself... But hey, once again, this is a one-hour solution. I bet you already spent this long googling these freezes.

Reaction score
I agree with the assumption that the problem is Windows 7 (proof: system doesn't freeze on any other operating system).

If the power settings, drivers (and that DriverMax software people have been recommending, however all recommendations I've seen come from people with only a single post to their name, and this is a pay software... So only use this at your own risk... My feeling on the matter is that while it's not a scam aimed at getting you to install a virus of something like that, it's still a scam in the sense that drivers don't in general cause this type of problem) don't solve your freezing problem, try the following:

https://www.w7forums.com/windows-7-random-freezes-potential-solution-t3275.html

And don't buy a Mac... You already paid for your machine, the problem is solvable, and Macs are way overpriced. If you ask me, the hassle to fix this issue (took me maybe an hour once I figured out how) is a lot better than an extra 2-4 grand on the Mac equivalent of my PC.

Back to the opening statement of this post:
I agree that the problem is Windows 7.
Namely, it somehow corrupts its own services` .dll files, which result in the freezes we're all experiencing. This is why safemode usually works fine while normal mode freezes left and right. The faulty services are disabled in safemode.
Now the fix for a corrupted service file isn't trivial, and it's a total PITA considering how you must go through your system directories and force ownership and permissions changes just so you could get the system to repair itself... But hey, once again, this is a one-hour solution. I bet you already spent this long googling these freezes.

I have now become even more certain that it is Windows 7.
But let me specify:
It is, as you write and others have alluded to, the program adaptability/permissions that is somehow making the system fail.
I have noticed that certain programs not run in administrator mode will cause it to freeze.
Also, perhaps especially, P2P and/or Torrent applications fail hard.

So, TL;DR:
I'm just going to ride this out and wait for updates/etc.
Changing each program to run as administrator is a pain, but its only once.
Turning off UAC kind of removes the main security features of Win7, but I don't care.
Updating drivers is a hassle, but I've done it and now I avoid scheduled freezing.

Overall, this IS fixable, as you typed - but for the amount of money and time, it sure as hell seems unjust.

Reaction score
I am not a computer person so I don't understand a lot of what ppl are talking about... but I just bought a brand new Dell Studio XPS with an Intel Core2 Duo processor and Windows 7 freezes all the time - sometimes 15 times a day. Help!

Ask a Question