Windows 7 freezes

Reaction score
Hi,

I haven't read all of your replies, because I found my solution to the problem almost halfway.
The freezing problem is mostly caused by your graphics card.
To check if this is so, you can browse to the 'device manager' and turn off your graphic card (in the section for your monitor).
Reboot and normally your pc doesn't freeze any more.

If it does, this reply isn't helpful for you.
If it doesn't, your graphics card IS the problem. Just download more recent drivers and hopefully your problem is solved...

I hope I helped some of you guys :)
Grtz
Hi!
Thanks but it did not work. I think it's the illness of Windows 7. They have to find the cure or else, it will turn out to be e mess to everyone. I have read latest complaints about the slow response, performance, etc by W7 and this only shows, the cure is not found yet.
I just hope microsoft is working on this. I thought I made the right decision to buy new notebook with W7 but I am regretting since the day I purchased.:confused:

Reaction score
Mine keeps freezing as well, I'm going to try reupdating all my drivers and if it happens again, I'm going to try to remove the graphics card back to a very original one.

Specs:
Processor: AMD Turion x2 Dual Core Movile UM-70 2.00GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
System type: 32-bit OS

Reaction score
I agree. My desktop doesn't freeze too much, but my Toshiba laptop freezes all the time. I checked and disabled many add ons but still N.G.
Hi!
Thanks but it did not work. I think it's the illness of Windows 7. They have to find the cure or else, it will turn out to be e mess to everyone. I have read latest complaints about the slow response, performance, etc by W7 and this only shows, the cure is not found yet.
I just hope microsoft is working on this. I thought I made the right decision to buy new notebook with W7 but I am regretting since the day I purchased.:confused:

Reaction score
All my drivers are up to date, and I do not have asus motherboard, and its mainly when I am copy and paste files within the my pc environment.
Its the win7 infrastructure thats the problem, its too wide spread to be only one or two drivers. I am so very disappointed with ms over this. and seriously thinking of returning to xp.

Reaction score
Sorry to come in here, but I don't know how to do this thing...

Hello guys. I am not answering the question, but came in here since I thought it's related to my problem. Pls. bear with me ... my problem is, when my comp hibernates, it never wakes up properly ... always takes a long time, and then it will reboot. It's a major irritant for me. Anybody can help? Thanks.

DBR Thailand

Pru

Reaction score
I realize this thread is largely about freezing, but for those who are getting the sudden, random shutdowns with the useless kernel-power 41 error in the system event log, try one or more of the following where applicable:

-Uninstall AMD Catalyst Control Center (if you have it).
-Change Win7 power management from "Balanced" to "High Performance"
-Remove the HDMI playback device on your playback devices (right-click volume icon > playback devices)
-Uninstall vendor-provided Realtek NIC driver and let Windows Update install the WDM version.

Those tips were based on extensive reading about this problem I did on the Net. I tried all those last night and today was the first day I haven't had the sudden shutdown. My PC has been up and active for 5+ hours (including an hour of intensive gaming and playing with virtualbox, along wth lots of surfing). My rig is a cheap refurbed Dell Inspiron 546MT, AMD Phenom II X4 820 (with Cool-n-Quiet enabled), Win7 64-bit and Radeon 4670.

Of course 5+ hours isn't that long but it's the longest so far that this PC has been going without a crash since I got it. Mine could shutdown any second but I'm getting a good feeling that one or more of the above changes may have taken care of it.

Good luck!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I realize this thread is largely about freezing, but for those who are getting the sudden, random shutdowns with the useless kernel-power 41 error in the system event log, try one or more of the following where applicable:

-Uninstall AMD Catalyst Control Center (if you have it).
-Change Win7 power management from "Balanced" to "High Performance"
-Remove the HDMI playback device on your playback devices (right-click volume icon > playback devices)
-Uninstall vendor-provided Realtek NIC driver and let Windows Update install the WDM version.

Those tips were based on extensive reading about this problem I did on the Net. I tried all those last night and today was the first day I haven't had the sudden shutdown. My PC has been up and active for 5+ hours (including an hour of intensive gaming and playing with virtualbox, along wth lots of surfing). My rig is a cheap refurbed Dell Inspiron 546MT, AMD Phenom II X4 820 (with Cool-n-Quiet enabled), Win7 64-bit and Radeon 4670.

Of course 5+ hours isn't that long but it's the longest so far that this PC has been going without a crash since I got it. Mine could shutdown any second but I'm getting a good feeling that one or more of the above changes may have taken care of it.

Good luck!
Thanks for the hard work. It surely will help many on this forum.

Reaction score
My solution...USB, not Win 7.

I've had a lot of problems with my PC freezing over the last several of months. At first, it only froze once every few days, usually while gaming. Then, it got to the point where it was freezing several times a day. Next, my internet connection would fail every 5 minutes. I would have to reset the gateway constantly.
I was cursing Windows 7. I reinstalled my OS several times to no avail. I even went back to XP. However, it was happening in Win XP too. I could not find any pattern to the problem.
Finally, I stripped everything out of my case, and reinstalled each component, after my PC failed to boot one day. It would get stuck at "verifying dmi data" and go no further.
I eventually discovered that the problem has something to do with USB. I had to unplug my USB hub and MP3 player to finally get the darn PC to work. My USB keyboard/mouse does not cause any problems. I thought maybe it was a bad port, but it doesn't matter which port I am plugged into. I have left my hub and Sansa Fuze MP3 player unplugged for a week now, and everything is running great! (Sorry, for cursing at you, Windows!)

MOBO: XFX 790i Ultra
BIOS P06 w/default settings. . . going back to P09 to test shortly
CPU: Q6600 2.4ghz
RAM: 2 x 1024 Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1333
GPU: 2 x EVGA 8800 GTS 512 SLI

Reaction score
Well, I have the same problems except it happens when I'm on Firefox. It'll just slowdown like crazy until I have to restart. No nVidia drivers here, I haven't installed my graphical drivers yet because I'm waiting on a ATI HD 4890 to come in.

Specs:
Intel i7 920
P6T Deluxe V2
OCZ 6GB RAM
Seagate 7200.12 500gb
OCZ 700W ModXStream
hey, I am experiencing the same thing. Everytime I uses the Firefox on the win 7 laptop. It freezes. Then I am gonn have to wait for it to respond until an error message will pop up and will ask me to close the browser.

Reaction score
i've narrowed down the cause to incorrect memory timings(i think) for me. i'm just curious. if i have 2 sticks of ram on channel a and b, with 533mhz frequency and 7-7-7-20 timing, and 2 other sticks on channel c with 519mhz frequency and 8-8-8-22. what is the optimal setting? auto settings has channel a at 7-7-7-20, and channel b and c at 8-8-8-20. my hypothesis is that the different settings for channel a and b may be causing the problem.

should i just set all of them to 7-7-7-20? or 8-8-8-22?

also, could it be because the rams have different timings on different dimms? that's partly what prompted me to set them all to 7-7-7-20 at 533mhz.

since the bios frequency for the ram is set at 533mhz, is it ok if i set the timing across the board to 8-8-8-22, even though that's designated for operation at 593mhz? or should i set it to 7-7-7-19, for operation at 519mhz?

thanks

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Do you have two different brands of RAM? What is the specs such as PC8500, PC6400, etc.?

You should be able to set your BIOS to 533 MHz, which if you have DDR2 RAM will result in a 1066 clock speed. Mine is set that way and the timings are: 5-5-5-15 and DIMM voltage at 2.1 volts.

Sometimes setting the voltage a little higher will help.

Reaction score
they're the same brand, different manufacturer. i got them at the same place for the same price. even the box art was the same. however using easytune 6 i was able to find out that they had different default settings. they're both ddr3 one is pc3-10700g, the other is pc3-10700h both are 1333 enhanced latency.

update:right now i'm leaving the settings on auto, but i've changed the slot sequence so that all the channels use only one type of ram. no problems yet.

update2:that method has failed. i have now set the ram timings to 8-8-8-20 for all channels.

Last edited:
Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Check for viruses or spyware. Windows 7 freezes can be caused by viruses or Spywares. You should run a Spyware and Antivirus scan to fix this, and make sure security software is properly installed and updated on the computer.[/FONT]

Reaction score
32 pages and you don't think anyone has suggested that already? seriously, i don't know anyone since 2005 who has gotten a virus or malware. there's tons of firewalls and protection software out there. trust me, this freezing issue isn't due to something that simple. if you google windows 7 freezing you'll see this problem existed during the beta and rtc periods as well. it hasn't been fixed and probably never will. it's an inherent flaw of the os. i'm thinking of just going back to xp if this crap keeps happening.

Reaction score
well i just determined that it has nothing to do with ram timings. i set them to low, default, high, frequency switches, all in all about a dozen variations. tested using memtest86+ nope, windows 7 still randomly freezing. sometimes i can go for hours, sometimes it freezes 5 minutes into load up. boost freezes as well. psu readings are normal. voltages are set correctly. xp works fine. but windows 7? wow, it's a complete train wreck. you're saying months of internal testing, then public testing and now nearly half a year after its retail release there's still freezing problems? what a load of crap. should have pirated it.

Reaction score
Do you think you would have been happier with the pirated version freezing on you? It's not to late, you can still install a pirated version. :lol:

Reaction score
For me it was bad RAM

I had a similar issue for 2 weeks on a Dell E6400. Painful beyond belief.

For me it was bad RAM. The memory diagnostics passed the RAM, but I decided to remove one of my 2Gb sticks and test. One worked for a few days, no freezing. Then I swapped to the other and it froze straight away.

I never had any problems with the RAM on XP 64bit.

This might not be your problem, but worth a go as I've been where you are and it was very annoying.

Reaction score
that's a problem with dell asus motherboards. they actually a had a recall awhile ago.

Reaction score
that's a problem with dell asus motherboards. they actually a had a recall awhile ago.
Interesting JohnCage. Dell didn't mention this :)

Dell actually changed the motherboard earlier in the week, but I still experienced the freezing (caused by one of my RAM cards being faulty, as discussed above)

Or you may mean that the old motherboard caused my RAM to go bad and cause the freezing. In which case, I hope the new motherboard doesn't cause the same issues.

New RAM tomorrow and I hope that is the end of it.

Ask a Question