Windows 7 crash after updates

Reaction score
Last night Windows 7 automatically updated itself. When I got up this morning my computer was frozen.

I tried restarting several times but got the blue screen of death.

I was able to restart the machine in safe mode and tried deleting the updates.

Then I tried running a system restore several times and the only date available was yesterday. It didn't work.

I tried running disk clean up from safe mode and ran the system restore again, it didn't work either.

I don't know what else to do. Please help.

Update, after multiple attempts my computer has told me that the restore previous version has been successful. I'm able to restart windows normally but then I'm unable to do anything, It won't connect to the internet and I can't get a single program to start. So basically I'm left with looking at my desktop and nothing more.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Update, after multiple attempts my computer has told me that the restore previous version has been successful. I'm able to restart windows normally but then I'm unable to do anything, It won't connect to the internet and I can't get a single program to start. So basically I'm left with looking at my desktop and nothing more.

Does anyone have any ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You mentioned only one restore point was available, but did you check the little square checkbox that says "show more restore points"? See if more are available and try going back a little further.

Reaction score
You mentioned only one restore point was available, but did you check the little square checkbox that says "show more restore points"? See if more are available and try going back a little further.
Thank you for getting back to me.

I did check that box and there was only restore point.

Any other ideas?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you cannot connect to the internet then (at least part of the issue) is the network interface card NIC driver. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager, click on View > Devices by type, then expand the Network adapters and double click on the "Network Connection", go to the Driver Tab, and if it is available choose the "rollback driver" button. If you can roll back the driver then try to connect to the internet (reboot may be required).

NOTE: On some computers there may be multiple network drivers, example the Ethernet LAN wired connection and a wireless, you should only need to rollback the one you actually are trying to use.

Reaction score
If you cannot connect to the internet then (at least part of the issue) is the network interface card NIC driver. Go to Control Panel > Device Manager, click on View > Devices by type, then expand the Network adapters and double click on the "Network Connection", go to the Driver Tab, and if it is available choose the "rollback driver" button. If you can roll back the driver then try to connect to the internet (reboot may be required).

NOTE: On some computers there may be multiple network drivers, example the Ethernet LAN wired connection and a wireless, you should only need to rollback the one you actually are trying to use.
I am able to connect to the internet while in safe mode but not when it's in standard mode. In standard mode it boots up but I can't get the control panel or anything else to run.

My computer is wired to the internet but always wants to connect wireless at start up. Usually I disconnect from wireless and then it automatically connects to the wired connection. It won't let me make that switch either. Other than completely re-loading windows and losing all my data, is there a way to get windows to work?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately without knowing why it is doing what it is doing I don't know for sure. I suspect you got a bad driver which if you could figure out which one you could roll back from control panel device manager in safe mode.

If you do reinstall W7 then I recommend you install overtop the existing installation (do not reformat the hard drive), this means you would have to reinstall all your software but you would not loose any data.

Ask a Question