Weird lockup/freezing problem

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if I did not follow proper forum posting etiquette and will be more than happy to change anything I need to. Well my problem is a little bit unique as far as I can tell because I can't seem to find any post anywhere that describes my problem (but then again my only search were forums). Well I guess the best way to describe it is that my computer seems to be locking up for minutes at a time and sometimes freezing as well. Here is an example, I'm on skype and on firefox at the same time, my firefox freezes and goes to not responding, I go into my start menu and go into my C: drive and then it goes to not responding as well, all the while my skype is perfectly fine as long as I don't click on it and it goes to not responding as well, but the call is still perfectly intact. Another example would be that I am on World of Warcraft and the game will either freeze without a moments notice or every once in a while all of the sound will go quiet, and any new icons that pop up are no longer icons, just square with numbers underneath them and then after about 5 minutes of that the game freezes. On a few occasions while browsing the web everything will go to not responding but again the skype call I am in is working perfectly fine, but after about 10 minutes of this happening the entire computer freezes. Alt+tabbing does not work when this is happening, and ctrl+alt+delete only results in a black screen in which nothing works but the mouse and the skype call. I did a system restore to a week ago when I wasn't having this problem but the problem persisted, I have run prime 95, I scanned with malware bytes, I scanned with the tdsskiller, they all came up fine. I updated drivers, and then I ran the Windows Offline defender, I did a quick scan and it got nothing so I did a full scan and 6 hours later it finished and it removed 7 items but it did not fix my computer's lock-up problem. Using windows 7 64bit, and I am obviously willing to post any information about my computer specs or anything else anyone might need to help me solve my problem. I am almost convinced at this point it must be some sort of hardware problem.

Reaction score
I took pictures with the CPU-Z, and I did the raMMon report in a zip file, should I post those or perhaps I posted my problem in the wrong forum?

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate,

I suggest that you enable driver verifier. It might catch the problem.

Driver verifier

The Driver Verifier tool that is included in every version of Windows since Windows 2000 it is used to detect and troubleshoot many driver issues that are known to cause system corruption, failures, or other unpredictable behavior.

***FIRST: Please backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Windows 7 Startup Repair feature.)
  1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select:
    ---- Special Pool
    ---- Pool Tracking
    ---- Force IRQL Checking
    ----Deadlock Detection
    ---- Security Checks (Windows 7 & 8)
    ---- DDI compliance checking (Windows 8)
    ---- Miscellaneous Checks

5. Click "Next"
  6. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  7. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  8. Select "Finish" on the next page.
Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

Will I see anything when I enable Driver Verifier?

No, Driver Verifier configures Windows so that people looking at the crash dump files get (in most cases) more detailed information about what actually crashed the computer.
How Long should I wait for a crash?

- If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.
How do I turn Driver Verifier off?!

- Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page.

- Or press the Windows Key + R, and type in "verifier /reset" (Without the quotes)

- Then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post. then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.
I can't get in to Windows, what do I do?

- If Windows will not start and get to a login screen or desktop, because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.

- If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.
How do I put the crash dump files in a Zip file?

Instructions on putting files in a Zip file and extracting (Taking them out) again are explained HERE.

Reaction score
Okay sir I just went into verifier and selected all drivers not from the microsoft corporation or anything with microsoft in the detail. I havent crashed yet and I will let it run for 36 hours like you have instructed, where will I find this crash dump file whenever it does crash? Also let's say I do end up having to use a system restore because my computer won't start back up, will the crash dump file still be on my computer even through the restore? Kind of a dumb question but I don't want to delete the crash dump file(s) if I get them

Shintaro

Reaction score
It should leave the crash dump files alone. There are never any dumb questions. Please never be worried about asking questions, that is what the forum is here for.

Reaction score
I'm obviously still going to wait for the 36 hours, no sign of crashing or slowing down yet but I know 36 hours is a long time from now. I've run countless programs as I said in my first post so I'm more than happy to do anything you see fit for me to try. Out of all of the programs / already built in functions I've tried only a few of them have found anything at all. I ran windows offline defender and it took somewhere around the ballpark of 6 hours to complete and it had found 6 or 7 things and it removed them for me, and I've run the hard drive checker by right clicking on my C: drive after clicking my computer and it's come up with nothing, and I just ran sfc,scannow command in my CMD and it told me it found things and fixed it. Some programs are telling me they are finding things and fixing them and then the lockups still happen. Clearly my computer had problems with it before I ran any of these things but they never apparently effect my ability to actually USE my computer. The lockups aren't becoming more frequent, but they are still happening which I think is weird. I mean it's a good thing these programs are finding problems to fix, but even with all the programs I've run and everything I've tried the problem still persists. I mean my computer is old but it sure would be nice to actually be able to find the problem instead of having these programs fixing everything BUT the problem. I know you are busy and I'm basically just talking just to talk so I will be back after the 36 hours and let you know if I've had a crash yet

Reaction score
All right boss, it has been a little over 36 hours and no crash yet sadly. I have gotten the same old freezes I've been getting but no crashes and I've left it on the entire time. I am going to sleep now but I am ready for anything else you think will help my odd situation!

Ask a Question