Weird yellow background on all applications and unreadable dropdowns

Reaction score
My wife's pc is windows 7 and recently had some kind of adware infection in terms of thing popping up in her browser saying call this number or the world will end etc etc. I have started the machine in safe mode and run cccleaner, adwcleaner, hitman pro, malwarebytes anti-malware and spybot!!! Between them this seems to have done the trick

However she is now left with a very off problem. firstly all her application like outlook or noted pad or any form you open in windows has a bright yellow background making it hard to use. also if you right click for a menu as you move the mouse over the options they disappear. Attached is an example of device manager.

So I uninstalled the driver for her ATI Radeon HD 4800 and everything looks ok except the resolution is too huge to work with. I went to ATI website and downloaded the last 2 recommended drivers. I installed both using the ATI installation tool and both put me back in the same place. I then tried updating the driver through device manager and got the error also attached "parameter is missing".

For some reason the system has only kept system restore back and couple of days so that doesn't cover the period before the adware problem. Last system image Feb15 which inst very clever of me.

I have not been able to find anything useful on this as pretty hard to describe the problem so if anyone has any suggestions really appreciated

mike
yellow.png
driver.PNG

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I would start by trying "system restore" & see if there are still restore points (be sure to check the box for show more so you can see them all) then restore to a point before the infection

Reaction score
Thanks but as i said no restore points before this happened except feb 2015.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the issue is almost certainly in the registry but figuring out what will be a challenge. You may be better off backing up all the data (don't forget things like favorites & contacts), then restoring to that 2015 image, next restoring the data and then dealing with reinstalling any missing programs & updates.

You might check out the Personalize settings, such as using a different theme, just to be sure the yellow isn't something caused by that, though you would still have the parameter issue to deal with for your video driver.

Reaction score
actually seem to have found a bizarre solution. When i looked in disk manager there was an error on one of the partitions on a data drive. I ran chkdisc and the yellow went away!!!!

Reaction score
turns out that was a coincidence as pc crashed and now yellow is back. I have just tried swapping out the HD and yellow is still there so it much be a problem with the graphics card?

Ask a Question